Honest chances of me getting into optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VoyAMatarTusOjos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am the first in my family to go to college, so I know very little about applying to graduate programs and the sort. Can you guys critique my OAT and GPA and tell me if you think I have a chance of getting into a school? Thank you.

QR: 310 (57.0%)
RC: 350 (75.2%)
Bio: 360 (86.8%)
GChem: 400 (100%) (no idea how this happened...)
Ochem: 320 (68.6%)
Physics: 320 (81.5%)

TS: 350 (87.1%)
AA: 340 (84.1%)

My college GPA is a 3.220 and I am a physiology major. However, I have retaken 5 classes throughout my career. I feel like this is a huge downside to my application. I was too busy with work, extracurriculars to obtain the grades I wanted to the first time around...

I'm applying to IAUPR, MCPHS, Pacific University, Salus, and New England College of Optometry. I'm probably going to apply to other schools as well after my next paycheck comes in!

I have shadowed, worked in eye clinics, been a board member of optometry club at my college, and have TA'd for a microbiology class. I have experience as philanthropy chairman and president of my fraternity pledge class as well.

Do you guys think I have a shot of getting in? I'm scared the number of retakes I have taken might look bad in the eyes of schools, but my OAT score is decent, in my opinion.

I am also Mexican. I don't know if being a minority will help me or not...

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way to really find out is to apply. You can also call admissions committees and ask them if you are a competitive applicant. If you have good reasons for retaking those classes you could explain that in the interview. Your race shouldn't have anything to do with your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your OAT scores are great--they are above average for what typically gets interviews/admission. Your extracurriculars are good, too, but you are right about the 5 retaken classes being a possible downside. Your GPA is fine and I bet you'll be offered some interviews, but count on those schools bringing up the 5 retaken classes (and be ready to explain them). You can find the averages online for what each specific school is looking for with GPA and OAT scores.

I think you have a great chance of getting interviews! I applied at Pacific University, NECO, Salus and MCPHS out of your list. My overall GPA was 2.98 and science GPA was around 3.1. My OAT was 330/310. I interviewed at Pacific, NECO and Salus and rejected MCPHS and got accepted to Pacific and NECO. Salus wanted my fall grades, but I didn't submit them. I am now a first year at Pacific! Pacific is a great school. They care more that you learned the material and understand it than they do about the specific grade you got in a class. Be confident during your interviews and show them you really want to be a part of this profession, and I am sure you will do well. Good luck! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions :)

Hello everyone!

I am the first in my family to go to college, so I know very little about applying to graduate programs and the sort. Can you guys critique my OAT and GPA and tell me if you think I have a chance of getting into a school? Thank you.

QR: 310 (57.0%)
RC: 350 (75.2%)
Bio: 360 (86.8%)
GChem: 400 (100%) (no idea how this happened...)
Ochem: 320 (68.6%)
Physics: 320 (81.5%)

TS: 350 (87.1%)
AA: 340 (84.1%)

My college GPA is a 3.220 and I am a physiology major. However, I have retaken 5 classes throughout my career. I feel like this is a huge downside to my application. I was too busy with work, extracurriculars to obtain the grades I wanted to the first time around...

I'm applying to IAUPR, MCPHS, Pacific University, Salus, and New England College of Optometry. I'm probably going to apply to other schools as well after my next paycheck comes in!

I have shadowed, worked in eye clinics, been a board member of optometry club at my college, and have TA'd for a microbiology class. I have experience as philanthropy chairman and president of my fraternity pledge class as well.

Do you guys think I have a shot of getting in? I'm scared the number of retakes I have taken might look bad in the eyes of schools, but my OAT score is decent, in my opinion.

Thank you.

Just wondering, did you hear back from any schools?

Thank you.

Yes being Mexican definitely helps. Are you in a state that still didn't ban this form of institutional racism? California and a few other states banned Affirmative Action. So apply to schools that didn't ban it and you'll have a definite advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the statement that race shouldn't matter. We were told it wasn't a factor - only scores, grades, letters of recommendation, experiences, and personal statements mattered. Not ethnicity.