Need your PT essay read? Read Me First!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's that time of year where the "please help me with my essay" threads are popping up again. I feel obligated to remind you to not post your essay on the thread itself, and to use discretion when sending it to people on the internet...make sure you "know" (as well as you can for an anonymous forum) who you're sending it to...I'd suggest reading up on the person you're messaging your essay to to make sure they're a current PT student/practicing PT so that they've successfully gone through the process. I'd also advise against sending it to fellow applicants, because even though I'm sure you're all super honest and awesome people, there are people in cyberland who might steal your essay and use it for their own.

So, if you are willing to proofread/offer feedback on essays, I would suggest replying to this thread with some info about yourself (are you a PT student, PT, something else/where you went to school/when you graduated, how long it will take you to read the essay and get them feedback, etc.)

If there's enough interest, I can sticky the thread so that it's easily accessible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be happy to read PT applicant essays. About my self, i am an undergrad heading into my senior year this fall at Rutgers New Brunswick. I am an exercise science applying sometime this summer for admission fall of 2014. I wont feel hurt if you wouldn't want me to read it, as i am not a DPT grad or someone who has been through the journey; no hard feelings! Although i would love to give feedback on PT applicant essays.

let me know!

I'll admit I've previously agreed to read a few people's essays and am still in the process of getting back to a few. However, i've always made everyone aware that my summer schedule is pretty hectic and I'll get back when I can. Let me warn you my feedback is usually pretty critical, especially with grammar hehe. I do enjoy nitpicking! Think about it thought guys, this essay could really make or break you in this process and its vitally important you don't rush it. Make sure everything is perfect and you've said everything you wanted to say. I'd recommend having at least 4 well respected individuals look over your essay for you, even after we've read it, because usually they'll have things to add or edit.

But a little about me... I'm going into my senior year as an undergrad as an EXSC major with a minor in psych. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an English major and pre-physical therapy. I am previous military and have experience writing promotional packages. I have not been through through the process of applying for physical school but have plenty experience with board selections and am willing to critique essays if desired. =) I can usually respond within 1 to 2 days.

I will be starting my DPT this year at UCSF after having been accepted to a number of other comparable programs. My verbal GRE was 165, I scored a 5.0 on the AW, and I've been employed as a professional writer in the past.

I am also extremely sympathetic to the stress of the application process, and I'm happy to help out those who are interested in receiving constructive criticism.

Feel free to send me a private message with your essay attached and I will respond as quickly as possible.

I'd be happy to help proofread!

I got my B.S. in Biology from UCLA in 2011 and my DPT from Western University of Health Sciences in 2015.

It should take me about 3 days to respond!

--
www.christina-pt.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Count me in for proof-reading.

I will be attending PT school this August. From now until then it should take me max 4 days to respond. Once school starts I'm not sure what my timeline will be. I graduated with a BS in Kinesiology and took a year off to work as a PT Tech.

I'd be happy to read anyone's PTCAS essay or supplemental essays (specific towards Emory DPT for the latter one). I'm a second year DPT student at Emory c/o 2015, went to undergrad at Bowdoin, it'll probably take me max 3 days to reply at this point in my semester. After mid August, might take me upwards to a week.

I plan on applying to Sacred Heart, Widener, Temple, NYIT, Uconn, and LIU dpt program. I majored in psychology.

My overall gpa: 3.31
Pre req gpa: 3.21
Experience hours: 250

I transferred my freshman year and did very poor probably had like a 2.6 gpa. Im not sure if those 27 credits would drastically put down my overall gpa (3.31). I also tried to apply to the 2013 class and tried to take Chem and Physics in the summer at a community college. I was way overwhelmed and ended up withdrawing. I have 4 withdrawals one was for physics 1, another chem 2, a psych class, and an cpu elective. Ive also repeated two prereqs pre calc and stats. I honestly hope the admissions committee do not judge me off the 4 Ws, repeated classes, and my poor freshman gpa. Honestly do not know what I would do with my life if I do not get into grad school.

what do you guys think?

SHU undergrad 5- I think that post would be more suited for another thread.

I'd like to have my essay proofread by someone if anyone is able to do so by this weekend? Preferably by someone already admitted to a school. 4500 characters was much more compact than I thought!

Hello,

I have two essays and would love to have feedback on them! Anyone willing to take a look?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I'm on my quarter break so if anyone needs any to be read bring it on.

Hey, would anyone like to proofread / make suggestions to my essay? Thank you.

Thanks for everyone that is willing to help us applicants out. I also have a supplemental essay that I would like a second opinion on.

Is anyone able to help proofread my essay? Preferably someone in PT school with English background?

Hi, everyone! I recently completed my essay and I would love to have someone review it before I send in my PTCAS application. Thanks!

Hey all! if anyone would like their essay proofread, I'd be willing to offer my opinion and feedback! Send them to me in a PM!

Anyone willing to review my essay? There's no strict prompt but it's main focus is asking what are your professional goals and why are you choosing PT.

I can give some general pointers just send it over.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is anyone that could read my essay and provide me some feedback! I would really appreciate it!

I will be starting my DPT this year at UCSF after having been accepted to a number of other comparable programs. My verbal GRE was 165, I scored a 5.0 on the AW, and I've been employed as a professional writer in the past.

I am also extremely sympathetic to the stress of the application process, and I'm happy to help out those who are interested in receiving constructive criticism.

Feel free to send me a private message with your essay attached and I will respond as quickly as possible.

Hi! I know you posted this about a year ago... but are you still willing to read essays? I have one for you if you can! :D

I would be happy to read some essays!

My info:
Current DPT student beginning this July at LIU, I was accepted to four programs this last cycle.
GRE: Q: 161 V: 163 A: 5
GPA: 3.2
I also used to teach English abroad, and have lots of experience giving constructive criticism in writing.

Give me 2-4 days to go through the essays, and I would prefer it if you send/share it via Google Drive - I don't have Office on my computer.

****EDIT**** I am in school now and have very little time to do this, so I won't be able to read any more. Best of luck!

Also, I ended up going to another DPT program, in case you happen to be curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also like my PTCAS essay read, if anyone is free to help! I've had it reviewed by friends, but I'd like some input from those with a better knowledge of physical therapy.

I can read some essays! I will be starting my DPT program in September so anyone who wants an essay read these next few weeks, send my way :)

would anyone be willing to read my essay? i don't think it's great but i'd like to know where i can improve it. i would really appreciate all the help!
I'm certainty no expert, but I'd be happy to read it. I know that it's impossible for me to see my own typos and mistakes, but others really stick out. I think that's the same with everyone:)

Hi I was wondering if anyone could read my essay asap! and help me with the current issues facing pt! please and thank you!

Hi everyone i was hopping someone could proof read my essay thanks

Attachments

• Autobiography most recent.docx
    483.7 KB · Views: 183

Kinja - A few comments:
1. I did not finish reading your essay mainly because of points two and three.
2. You open up with your interests in sport, which is fine. However, you need to redirect a bit sooner into the rehab aspect of your interests. Many therapists have a sporting background of some kind, so they can relate, but what we need to know is why you want to be responsible for the well-being (not the personal training) of another human being. Your earlier words are more suited for someone seeking a graduate degree (or even a bachelor's degree) in kinesiology. Kinesiology is a 'part' of physical therapy, but PT is so much more that athletes and exercise.
3. Please re-read your essay. It has grammatical and spelling errors.

Lastly, please do not be discouraged by my words. I appreciate you taking an interest in my profession. I'd be happy to read a more complete essay once you have one. Next time around make sure your essay gets into the medical aspect of things a little sooner.

Last comments: I am just one reader. There may be other opinions out there. You can click on my profile link for my background info.

To the rest of the readers who might read these comments: I am not 'volunteering' to read essays at this time, but may opt to cherry pick a few here and there--if it will help you. Thanks.

Good luck,

Last edited:

Umm... I skimmed this essay a bit and I'm not sure if this essay is for the 2014-2015 PTCAS application. The essay prompt this year is:
  • APTA's vision for physical therapy is "transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience". How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?
Based on your essay, it says nothing about HOW you will embody the vision asked in the prompt. If this is for PTCAS, I'd HIGHLY advise for you to redo your essay and ANSWER the prompt. If it's for something else, then I'd suggest to redo your essay still because you have numerous grammatical, spelling, and syntax errors. It was difficult to read and follow your points.

Please don't take this as harsh, but I'm just giving my two cents... Good Luck!

Hello everyone!

I am looking to start applying to multiple schools this upcoming July and I have been working on APTA 2020 vision statement essay. I am not sure if I am going in the right direction, so if you can please read my rough draft I would greatly appreciate it. Please be brutally honest. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am looking to start applying to multiple schools this upcoming July and I have been working on APTA 2020 vision statement essay. I am not sure if I am going in the right direction, so if you can please read my rough draft I would greatly appreciate it. Please be brutally honest. Thanks!

Hey there - which prompt is this? The prompt through PTCAS for this application cycle (for programs beginning in 2015) was as follows:

APTA's vision for physical therapy is "transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience". How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?

I believe this was different from the previous year's prompt (2014), and will likely be different for this upcoming application cycle. I just took a peek at PTCAS's page on FB, and they are going to release the next cycle's app instructions (and likely the prompt) on June 1st before the application goes live on July 1st.

I was trying to start my writing early, but I guess I won't be able begin until June. Thank you for the information, do you happen to have the link where they will post the prompt for 2015?

I was trying to start my writing early, but I guess I won't be able begin until June. Thank you for the information, do you happen to have the link where they will post the prompt for 2015?

www.ptcas.org. It's the website for the common application that many PT schools use. You can also follow them on Facebook, I believe they released the prompt a little early there last year, but I don't remember when exactly.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI as per the PTCAS Facebook page, the prompt actually will remain the same for the 2015-2016 cycle.

APTA's vision for physical therapy is "transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience". How will you embody this vision as a future physical therapist?

Reactions: 2 users
I am available to proofread essays, until I begin my program this fall.

I am no longer reviewing essays due to school. Sorry!

Also check out my site for helpful tips on writing this years essay: dptknow.com

Last edited:
I'm applying this cycle and if anyone wants to give me some feedback on my PTCAS essay I'd appreciate it! PM me if you'd be willing to:)

anyone willing to read over what I've put together so far? Please send me a PM, very much appreciated :)

I am also available to read/comment on essays if you can do the same with mine!

Anybody still available to proofread my PTCAS essay? I should have the first draft done by this weekend!

Hello! I'm sure many have already submitted their applications, but I've just finished my essay recently and would like to have some people offer critiques if possible! Thank you in advance!

I'd be happy to help proofread!

I'm currently a 1st year DPT student at Western University of Health Sciences in CA and got my B.S. in Biology at UCLA.

It should take me a 2-3 days to respond at my slowest!

--
http://christina-pt.blogspot.com
Hello Christina! How are you doing? I applied for Western University's DPT program and am waiting for an interview invitation. Would you mind sharing your interview experience with Western? It would be very helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone!

I'm a 1st year student physical therapist at the University of Delaware and you can email me at [email protected] if you would like feedback for your 2016-2017 personal statement.

Please also provide me with some background on yourself as well (undergrad, stats, volunteer hours, where you plan to apply) and also let me know what your biggest concerns are regarding your statement. This will help me get a better sense of you and allow me to give you more thorough feedback. :)

Reactions: 2 users