Need Visa Help - Canada to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have received admission into a US school (I live in Canada) for a special Masters program. I am just wondering, I do not have a student visa. But I was told by a few ppl that I don't need one when I leave for the program and that all I need is the I-20 form and a few others and that at the border they will issue me the visa from there. Can anyone confirm this??? Does anyone have any more info? I talked to someone at a canadian embassy and they told me that I could get the visa at the border. BUT, on other government sites it said you need the student Visa. I am very confused.

Members don't see this ad.

DMDtobe said:
Hello,

I have received admission into a US school (I live in Canada) for a special Masters program. I am just wondering, I do not have a student visa. But I was told by a few ppl that I don't need one when I leave for the program and that all I need is the I-20 form and a few others and that at the border they will issue me the visa from there. Can anyone confirm this??? Does anyone have any more info? I talked to someone at a canadian embassy and they told me that I could get the visa at the border. BUT, on other government sites it said you need the student Visa. I am very confused.

it is not the canadian goverment issuing the visa. i think the US goverment knows better what are his requirements. don't you think so ?

just make sure you have all your papers/forms and that receipt thing (forget what it was for, somthing you will probably pay online) when you arrive at the border or airport. For Canadians you actually get the visa when you pass through US customs. It's confusing b/c for alll other nationalities you have to go to the US embassy/consulate in you given country to get a visa....and thus the US gov't websites usually reflect that reality while forgetting that Canadians apply and recieve their visa when they pass through US Customs. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I just arrived in the US from Canada about a week ago, so this is all fresh in my mind ;)

You will need:
-a valid passport
-an I-20 form from your school
-proof of financial support for the school term. It should say on your I-20 what the estimated costs are for you and if you are receiving an assistantship. If your assistantship does not cover your estimated expenses you must bring proof of other funds like personal savings, loans, etc.
-receipt for SEVIS I-901 fee (you pay this online once you receive your I-20)
-you may need to demonstrate ties to Canada -- family in Canada, own property, future inheritence, plan to return to work there after school, etc.
-plus any other documentation specific to your particular situation (e.g., I needed to demonstrate proof that my dog was vaccinated)

From what I understand, they don't actually issue us a visa -- we just demonstrate that we are eligible for the visa and we keep getting our I-20's renewed by the school. I have been warned several times not to let the I-20 expire while travelling outside the US (e.g., if you go home for the summer) -- apparently it's a bit of a nightmare to sort out.

Be sure to check with your school's international student office for more info (and just in case I forgot to include anything!)

Best of luck -- the process isn't too bad at all :)

great reply. when u list below "You will need", are u referring to what we will need as we are actually crossing the border? i.e. we don't have to apply for anything beforehand?

thanks.

Hi,
I just arrived in the US from Canada about a week ago, so this is all fresh in my mind ;)

You will need:
-a valid passport
-an I-20 form from your school
-proof of financial support for the school term. It should say on your I-20 what the estimated costs are for you and if you are receiving an assistantship. If your assistantship does not cover your estimated expenses you must bring proof of other funds like personal savings, loans, etc.
-receipt for SEVIS I-901 fee (you pay this online once you receive your I-20)
-you may need to demonstrate ties to Canada -- family in Canada, own property, future inheritence, plan to return to work there after school, etc.
-plus any other documentation specific to your particular situation (e.g., I needed to demonstrate proof that my dog was vaccinated)

From what I understand, they don't actually issue us a visa -- we just demonstrate that we are eligible for the visa and we keep getting our I-20's renewed by the school. I have been warned several times not to let the I-20 expire while travelling outside the US (e.g., if you go home for the summer) -- apparently it's a bit of a nightmare to sort out.

Be sure to check with your school's international student office for more info (and just in case I forgot to include anything!)

Best of luck -- the process isn't too bad at all :)

You have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online before crossing the border. Print the receipt and take it with you. That's about all you have to do on your end before getting your visa at US immigration, your school should handle the rest (other than demonstrating your ability to finacially support yourself) and send you the appropriate documents.