USMLE Need to retake CS :( Easiest Step 2 CS center to take it at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laradd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my results back and I need to retake CS :( I had originally taken it in Philadelphia and after talking to some people it seems that Philly is the most difficult location. Since Im scheduling it far in advance & Ill be using the Step 2 CS Carrd service I can pretty much choose any location I want. Does anybody know if certain spots are actually better than others or have any recommendations as to which CS location is most IMG friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

which places are most IMG friendly? for example if you choose between LA and Philly which one would you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard philadelphia is the hardest place to take CS. As to what center is the best step 2 cs test center Ive heard varying things. Most people seem to like atlanta, though I imagine houston has the most IMGs so that actually might be the best place. Also what is step 2 cs carrd?

Heard Atlanta SP's are really friendly. Can't actually objectively verify if it makes a difference but what's a couple hundred extra bucks for a plane ticket compared to thousands anyway if it somehow does provide an advantage. Go for it.

It is a CS Scheduling service. Friends have used it in the past, its legit. Gets you the date you need. If its filled you have to wait a while but they get it eventually. Step 2 CS Auto Scheduler

Well that is neat. Learn something new everyday. I stand by what I said earlier about what I've heard about philly being the hardest. I've also heard LA has the most authentic experience (if that is something your interested in) because they are all actually actors working a side gig.That probably doesn't affect your score lol but just something fun to know.

Well that is neat. Learn something new everyday. I stand by what I said earlier about what I've heard about philly being the hardest. I've also heard LA has the most authentic experience (if that is something your interested in) because they are all actually actors working a side gig.That probably doesn't affect your score lol but just something fun to know.

Well I think you are right about Philly, took the test there in December and barely failed in the ICE component . I am also looking at doing it again in a different center. I was warned by friends not to do it there ,but I went ahead because of distance and now I am regretting it. With that said ,the sps were nice to me to be honest ,just that most of them had just one vague symptom and so I wasted time trying to get to a meaningful diagnosis .

I think someone somewhere mentioned that all notes are graded in the Philly location so I don't think changing centers will make a difference when it comes to your ICE section. I took my test in Chicago and all of the SP were nice, maybe try there??

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so sorry! This test is crap.

With regards to testing center...I can't imagine that any one testing center has a significantly higher or lower fail rate than the other. This is a national, standardized board exam. If one testing center was having a much higher or lower fail rate, I'm sure the NBME tracks that info and would immediately evaluate and address the issue. Sure, the SPs might have different personalities, but I don't think that would affect your score...the things you're graded on are about YOUR actions, not theirs.

Good luck!!

I think someone somewhere mentioned that all notes are graded in the Philly location so I don't think changing centers will make a difference when it comes to your ICE section. I took my test in Chicago and all of the SP were nice, maybe try there??

I agree with you both! I think this stigma associated with the philly center is false. ALL of the notes are graded in philly, so no matter where you take it, your notes are graded at one center. Now as far as the other centers go, people fail there too.

I personally failed in philly and people told me don't take it there. I failed the ICE component, which meant it was the notes section that I needed more work on. I retook the exam again in Philly and all of my bars were on the right. Just speaking from personal experience, I know right now it's not easy to deal with this. I myself was trying to find something or someone to blame, but I realized it was a deficiency on my end. There are plenty of people who fail this exam, so do not take it as a personal offense on your knowledge base. Just prepare diligently and focus on your weak points. Practice with a live partner and do all of the case simulations in first aid as if you were in the real exam center.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Given that this is an exam most students only take once, those students could have no possible basis for comparison. Conversely, anyone who takes it twice would, by definition, have failed the first time, and would therefore consider that testing location "really hard".

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with you both! I think this stigma associated with the philly center is false. ALL of the notes are graded in philly, so no matter where you take it, your notes are graded at one center. Now as far as the other centers go, people fail there too.

I personally failed in philly and people told me don't take it there. I failed the ICE component, which meant it was the notes section that I needed more work on. I retook the exam again in Philly and all of my bars were on the right. Just speaking from personal experience, I know right now it's not easy to deal with this. I myself was trying to find something or someone to blame, but I realized it was a deficiency on my end. There are plenty of people who fail this exam, so do not take it as a personal offense on your knowledge base. Just prepare diligently and focus on your weak points. Practice with a live partner and do all of the case simulations in first aid as if you were in the real exam center.

Best of luck!
how did you improve on the ICE part?

HI
thank you for your post. I am having the same issue too. I took the test in August last year at Atlanta center and failed ICE. my SEP and CIS parts were done well, but that did not mean anything at the end. I have been dealing with depression since I got the result in October. Now I am trying to get back to it. I am unsure if I have to retake it at same center Atlanta; most of the SP were really nice. I am trying still to figure out what is the section I failed in the ICE, notes taking or HP???. Any advice please? a friend told me not to take it at the same place. others keep telling me Houston is the best place. There is no spots available at Houston now until mid September, and I would like to take it August or July. Any reviews that you can recommend? kaplan vs goldusmle review, which one is best?

Members don't see this ad :)

Best of luck!
How did you improve the notes section ? I believe that this is the part I mostly need to improve most.

How did you improve the notes section ? I believe that this is the part I mostly need to improve most.
I only took the exam once and I can tell you from my own personal experience is that if you master the cases in FA...you will pass the ICE! What I mean is for each note in every case write it down on a piece of paper and then use their software to practice writing the note. See how much you can write in 10 min and the quality of your note. Have a template in your mind as you go thru the cases. Are you IMG? if so take a Kaplan 1 day practice exam a month prior and it will help you tremendously!

I'm so sorry you didn't pass, this test is absolutely ridiculous :( No place is going to be "better" than any other to take it. It's a standardized national exam and I can't imagine the NBME would allow there to be one test center "easier" with a higher pass rate than any other. There's absolutely no way anybody outside the NBME could know if one place is easier or harder even if it were true, because we don't have access to pass rates for each center. Your score is based on your own performance, not any external factors like how polite the SPs are. You should prioritize taking it in the timeframe that works best for you at the location that is most convenient or comfortable. Good luck on your next attempt.

I agree but psychologically there are implications so they should still go where they believe is best, and avoid where they feel bad.

I only took the exam once and I can tell you from my own personal experience is that if you master the cases in FA...you will pass the ICE! What I mean is for each note in every case write it down on a piece of paper and then use their software to practice writing the note. See how much you can write in 10 min and the quality of your note. Have a template in your mind as you go thru the cases. Are you IMG? if so take a Kaplan 1 day practice exam a month prior and it will help you tremendously!

thank you for replying and the advice. I will do that

I agree with the above posters that the testing site does not matter. I am using myself as an example because I too failed the ICE portion, but it had nothing to do with the testing center. I took it in Philly again the second time, even though some folks told me to avoid it. There is a lot of anxiety when it comes to testing in general. I chose to just battle against my fears because I knew I would come out stronger from this if I did. It is your personal choice at the end of the day because you want to do what's best for you psychologically on test day.

In regards to improving on the ICE portion, there are several important factors. First and foremost, get the latest edition of FA Step 2 CS prep. Yes, the cases are similar, but when I retook the exam last year, I had noticed the new edition had actual examples of how to formulate the questions to write a detailed HPI. Use the PNs in the book as an example of how your note should be outlined. Starting from Day 1 of my prep for the exam the second time around, I immediately starting using the online software as part of my patient encounter. By that, I mean I had a live partner that would place a white board with the basic information as it would on test day. Next, I would go in, ask all the pertinent questions and do the PE, along with counseling if needed etc. After the completion of the encounter, I would go to my desk, where I had the software opened up already and I started typing in my notes as I would on test day. Remember, all of this is timed. So as you may already predict, I made a lot of errors or did not write a proficient note in the beginning. In addition, I would sometimes not get the inital dx correct. This showed me why I failed the first time I took my exam.

Here is the site I used to type my notes: Patient Note Grader - Gold USMLE Review Houston, Atlanta & New York

Another component I wanted to brush up on was the physical exam. Without attaining a proper physical exam, you cannot write supportive findings or write a sufficient PN. I personally watched Geeky Medics videos on youtube and they have their own website too. It goes into more detail than you need to know for the exam, but it will prep you really well in terms of having the PE down like muscle memory. This is not to say that you don't already know all the correct PEs, but this is more so to brush up on ones you felt weak in. I watched these videos over the course of the week and jotted down notes on what I needed to work on. At the end, I had PEs down for each system, where I can properly utilize them in an instance without second thought. This is important because as you know, you are limited in time. The CS exam is about proficiency, so you want to do only the pertinent PEs.

Here is the Geeky Medics sites to brush up on PEs: Clinical Skills OSCE Guides | Examination | Procedures | Geeky Medics

Also, make sure you know the correct abbreviations. The USMLE website outlines the abbreviations that are acceptable to use on test day. If it is not listed on there, do not abbreviate it. Develop your own systematic way to tackle this exam. I had to fight through anxiety and angst with this too. I just want to let you folks know that this is not a deal breaker for your future. This was a great learning experience for me. I used this momentum to tackle CK also, and I did very well. Use it as fire to keep your train going. At the end of the day, you want to know you gave it your all. You made it this far in school, so do not give up. If you have further questions, send me a PM and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 7 users

Best of luck!

Hey, I was in a similar situation as you and would love some advice. Could I PM you and ask you a few questions?

If you don't want to I understand! Thanks.

I agree with the above posters that the testing site does not matter. I am using myself as an example because I too failed the ICE portion, but it had nothing to do with the testing center. I took it in Philly again the second time, even though some folks told me to avoid it. There is a lot of anxiety when it comes to testing in general. I chose to just battle against my fears because I knew I would come out stronger from this if I did. It is your personal choice at the end of the day because you want to do what's best for you psychologically on test day.

In regards to improving on the ICE portion, there are several important factors. First and foremost, get the latest edition of FA Step 2 CS prep. Yes, the cases are similar, but when I retook the exam last year, I had noticed the new edition had actual examples of how to formulate the questions to write a detailed HPI. Use the PNs in the book as an example of how your note should be outlined. Starting from Day 1 of my prep for the exam the second time around, I immediately starting using the online software as part of my patient encounter. By that, I mean I had a live partner that would place a white board with the basic information as it would on test day. Next, I would go in, ask all the pertinent questions and do the PE, along with counseling if needed etc. After the completion of the encounter, I would go to my desk, where I had the software opened up already and I started typing in my notes as I would on test day. Remember, all of this is timed. So as you may already predict, I made a lot of errors or did not write a proficient note in the beginning. In addition, I would sometimes not get the inital dx correct. This showed me why I failed the first time I took my exam.

Here is the site I used to type my notes: Patient Note Grader - Gold USMLE Review Houston, Atlanta & New York

Another component I wanted to brush up on was the physical exam. Without attaining a proper physical exam, you cannot write supportive findings or write a sufficient PN. I personally watched Geeky Medics videos on youtube and they have their own website too. It goes into more detail than you need to know for the exam, but it will prep you really well in terms of having the PE down like muscle memory. This is not to say that you don't already know all the correct PEs, but this is more so to brush up on ones you felt weak in. I watched these videos over the course of the week and jotted down notes on what I needed to work on. At the end, I had PEs down for each system, where I can properly utilize them in an instance without second thought. This is important because as you know, you are limited in time. The CS exam is about proficiency, so you want to do only the pertinent PEs.

Here is the Geeky Medics sites to brush up on PEs: Clinical Skills OSCE Guides | Examination | Procedures | Geeky Medics

Also, make sure you know the correct abbreviations. The USMLE website outlines the abbreviations that are acceptable to use on test day. If it is not listed on there, do not abbreviate it. Develop your own systematic way to tackle this exam. I had to fight through anxiety and angst with this too. I just want to let you folks know that this is not a deal breaker for your future. This was a great learning experience for me. I used this momentum to tackle CK also, and I did very well. Use it as fire to keep your train going. At the end of the day, you want to know you gave it your all. You made it this far in school, so do not give up. If you have further questions, send me a PM and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Best of luck!

I took it in Atlanta and most of the SPs were not very nice. My classmates who took it at the same place before me said the SP were very nice and it was chill. So I think they might just be acting out a certain personality.

I will say that I personally think they are lenient on the CIS part as I probably sounded borderline rude/robotic to a few SPs but still did fairly well on the CIS part. Then again, I have nothing else to compare to so it's hard to say.

I took it in Atlanta and most of the SPs were not very nice. My classmates who took it at the same place before me said the SP were very nice and it was chill. So I think they might just be acting out a certain personality.

I will say that I personally think they are lenient on the CIS part as I probably sounded borderline rude/robotic to a few SPs but still did fairly well on the CIS part. Then again, I have nothing else to compare to so it's hard to say.

Atlanta has some mean SPs, my classmates told me they were nice but for some reason, they were not very pleasant to me. Another reason I think this exam has a lot of bias, the SPs are nice to who they want to be nice to.

Atlanta has some mean SPs, my classmates told me they were nice but for some reason, they were not very pleasant to me. Another reason I think this exam has a lot of bias, the SPs are nice to who they want to be nice to.
It could be that too since they don't really check the video for grading.

I do think being nice or not didn't translate into my grading w/ CIS though. Although you could argue that if SP don't give out certain part of history unless specifically prompted, you could lose some point in ICE when documenting. Vs if they just give them out during general history taking.

Last edited:

The SPs are trained to act a certain way. Some of them are supposed to be mean or rude or stressed because that's how real life is. They are supposed to reflect different personalities.

The SPs are trained to act a certain way. Some of them are supposed to be mean or rude or stressed because that's how real life is. They are supposed to reflect different personalities.

Agreed. It was pretty easy to figure out which actors were supposed to be non-cooperative. If you repeat questions and keep getting the exact same response (usually with a sigh or some way of conveying frustration), the SP is probably supposed to be difficult with you. Just keep moving along.

Agree to some extend. The emotional/stressed ones are not hard to recognize. However the mean SPs I met had some weird blunt affect with no dynamic in their speech. I doubt I had that many psych encounters lol they don't act like the typical patients I see in the clinic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Agree to some extend. The emotional/stressed ones are not hard to recognize. However the mean SPs I met had some weird blunt affect with no dynamic in their speech. I doubt I had that many psych encounters lol they don't act like the typical patients I see in the clinic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

AGREED! I know when a pt is doing it as part of the case vs. when they’re being an a-hole. At a certain point they’re supposed to let their guard down or at least let the case play out in an organized way.