This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hailbird

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting to hear from public 4-year institutions in my state. According to my state, as long as your GPA is a 2.0 or above and a min. amount of credits have been met- you can successfully transfer. Upon calculating what classes transfer, I am about halfway through a BS in Psych at both schools I applied to.

I have experienced some setbacks during my educational career(made a previous post, don't need to go into them). Just want to focus on repairing my GPA.

I plan to use the summer to retake College Alg. and Philosophy. If History to Film is offered- I will add that too. Unfortunately, I failed History to Film because of a citation discrepancy for my final project and because I did not email her back in time she considered it plagiarism (didn't go on my record, I did receive a zero for a HUGE grade).

While I was considering going the nursing route because it is a safer choice- I want to consider completing a BS in psychology. One of the school's I applied to offers a Biopsychology concentration.

I am also going to be shadowing a thoracic surgeon and volunteering at a local hospice center in my area (this spring/summer).

Fall 2014 A&S Biology
Course Number Course Title Credit Hours Final Grade Quality Points
BIO120 General Biology (L) 4.00 B 12.00
ENG101 English Composition (E) 3.00 C 6.00
MATH024 STEM Track I 2.00 A* 0.00
MATH025 STEM Track II 2.00 C* 0.00
PSY101 General Psychology (B) 3.00 A 12.00
Ehrs: 10.00 GPA-Hrs: 10.00 QPts: 30.00 GPA: 3.00

Spring 2015 A&S Biology
BIO121 General Biology II (L) 4.00 D 4.00
CIS102 Intro to Info Science (I) 3.00 C 6.00
MATH101 College Algebra (M) 3.00 F 0.00
PHIL101 Intro to Philosophy (H) 3.00 F 0.00
Ehrs: 17.00 GPA-Hrs: 23.00 QPts: 40.00 GPA: 1.73

Fall 2015 Nursing (Prep)
MATH216 Intro to Statistics (M) 0.00 W 0.00
MC206 History of Film (H) 3.00 D 3.00 (replaced by retake in 2016)
PSY214 Human Dev Across Life Span (B) 3.00 B 9.00
SOC101 Intro to Sociology (B,D) 3.00 C 6.00
Ehrs: 23.00 GPA-Hrs: 29.00 QPts: 55.00 GPA: 1.89

Spring 2016 Nursing (Prep)
BIO205 Microbiology (GL) 4.00 B 12.00
ENG237 Literature to Film (H) 3.00 F 0.00
MATH102 Contemporary Mathematics (M) 3.00 C 6.00
Ehrs: 30.00 GPA-Hrs: 39.00 QPts: 73.00 GPA: 1.87

Spring 2017 Nursing (Prep)
BIO119 Biology for Health Prof (L) 4.00 A 16.00
MC206 History of Film 3.00 D 3.00
Ehrs: 37.00 GPA-Hrs: 46.00 QPts: 92.00 GPA: 2.00

Fall 2017 Nursing (Prep)
BIO203 Anatomy and Physiology I (L) 4.00 B 12.00
PE155 Matwork Pilates 1.00 B 3.00
PHIL220 Bioethics (H) 3.00 A 12.00
Ehrs: 45.00 GPA-Hrs: 54.00 QPts: 119.00 GPA: 2.20

In progress...
Anatomy and Phys II 4 credits
Intro to Sociology 3 credits (retake- i know it was only a C previously but I was doing so for acceptance into nursing/gpa booster for that program)
Intro to Theatre 3 credits

I piled on another humanities credit because for the nursing program you need two and I kept failing (again, suffered some personal/family issues and those classes barely grade anything!).

My question is- even though I have received a total of FOUR F'S on my community college transcripts (all humanities except college algebra). If I retake them and excel, excel in my volunteer and shadowing, complete my BS with all A's and B's, and hopefully find some research to work on... what do my chances look like? Should I just give up?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake those courses, consider a post-bacc, do well on the MCAT, and then apply broadly to both MD and DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are very low grades. Even if you can somehow manage to get all As from this point on, what is currently on your transcript is going to impair you dramatically with regards to medical school admissions. Personally, I would look to some other career at this time. Most people do not like to come to this realization themselves, but based on your poor math/science performance it is possible that you may lack the aptitude necessary to succeed as a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I want to begin by saying that I am myself a story of how a person can overcome academic difficulties and still make it to medical school. Yet I believe in being honest as well. On the basis of your past performances, I'd be skeptical that you could suddenly start to excel (from this point you'll need A's almost across the board) in premed courses that are more difficult than the ones you have already taken. For example, if you struggled to master general biology, I am naturally skeptical that you will succeed in physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry. Only you know the reason for your past failures though...was it a lack of ability or merely a lack of effort? With that long preamble, here's my advice: give your classes this term everything you have!!! Also, schedule yourself for some legit premed coursework the next term (depending on your school this may be hard to reconcile with pre nursing, but you still need to do it). If you can excel in that next term as well then you can consider moving forward as a premed. If not, I'd try something else. A sad truth of your (and once my own) situation is that based on previous issues the bar will ALWAYS be higher for you from this point on than for others. You'll have to make A's when others can settle for a few B's. You'll have to score higher on the MCAT to prove to committees that you are worth interviewing. I am myself proof that it's possible to make an academic 180...but it's unbelievably hard. Let me know what I can do to help!

Reactions: 1 user
1) what is your total gpa right now and how many total credits attempted (include the Fs)
2) get your crap together, if you cannot perform during family/life stress you can’t do this. Life will keep happening
3) there is almost no chance you can pull a switch to 2-3yrs of all As in undergrad and even then your odds would be low. You probably don’t get to be a med student. I’d take a nursing program if you can get in...RNs make decent money

I’m noticing that your biology course scores are pretty good, but your math scores are very weak. Just something else to consider if you still decide to go the medical route: you haven’t taken Chemistry, Ochem, or physics yet. Based on your math trend, I predict you’ll struggle in these courses. Nursing students do have a chemistry requirement, but it is not as math intensive. (There is still math involved though.) I don’t believe nursing has a physics requirement.

Just some food for thought.

My question is- even though I have received a total of FOUR F'S on my community college transcripts (all humanities except college algebra). If I retake them and excel, excel in my volunteer and shadowing, complete my BS with all A's and B's, and hopefully find some research to work on... what do my chances look like? Should I just give up?

Unfortunately the F's aren't your only problem. You have been racking up C's and D's in courses that your average premed would consider gimmes. If you really want to go to medical school in the US, I think you have two main paths right now (although you could concoct many others):

1. Stick with nursing, graduate and work for a couple of years, take or retake all the medical school prerequisites at a four year university, ace them, and get a respectable MCAT score. If you don't get in you still have a career.

2. Go the psychology route followed by a SMP. This may be more aligned with your interests, but if you don't get in you're left holding a low-value degree.

Reactions: 7 users
These are very low grades. Even if you can somehow manage to get all As from this point on, what is currently on your transcript is going to impair you dramatically with regards to medical school admissions. Personally, I would look to some other career at this time. Most people do not like to come to this realization themselves, but based on your poor math/science performance it is possible that you may lack the aptitude necessary to succeed as a medical student.

This is the type of advice that SDNers need to ignore. In fact, it's so ignorant that it's almost malicious. Many med schools (U UT comes to mind) specifically state that they give more weight to the later years of undergrad, and less ot the cGPA.

Sure there are also plenty of med schools that have so many qualified applicants that they can afford to ignore people who screw up in the beginning, but rising GPA trends are a always good, and there are many other MD (and all DO) schools that reward reinvention. We all love come from behind stories...indeed, it's in our national DNA.

I'm not a rah-rah "you can do it!" Pollyanna, OP, you're in a Grand Canyon sized hole. But if you want to be a doctor, you need to find out why you have done so poorly. Get to your school's learning or education center to find out what's going wrong and how to fix it. If mental health or coping issues are a factor, you need to see a counselor for help with that.

Then read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 11 users
Goro nailed it. OP you need a lot of time and good academic performance between now and being ready to apply, possibly an SMP as well. However, bad starts followed by reboot/excellent performance are viewed much more favorably than consistent mediocrity or poor performance, even with the same cumulative GPA.

It will not be easy, it will be a monumental task, but it is not impossible. Learning how you have to learn and study and taking responsibility/forgiving yourself for past poor performance is step 1, and you should start ASAP.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users

How are you not banned? What kind of garbage advice is this?! People fail undergrad, redo bachelors, SMPs and work hard and still get to medical school. People go through a lot of **** in undergrad. There are many reasons for poor grades.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m noticing that your biology course scores are pretty good, but your math scores are very weak. Just something else to consider if you still decide to go the medical route: you haven’t taken Chemistry, Ochem, or physics yet. Based on your math trend, I predict you’ll struggle in these courses. Nursing students do have a chemistry requirement, but it is not as math intensive. (There is still math involved though.) I don’t believe nursing has a physics requirement.

Just some food for thought.

Might depend on the program, but my wife went to a good nursing program, and they did not require physics.

Might depend on the program, but my wife went to a good nursing program, and they did not require physics.

None of those in my state do. They would certainly have less applicants if they did...

Reactions: 1 users
This is the type of advice that SDNers need to ignore. In fact, it's so ignorant that it's almost malicious. Many med schools (U UT comes to mind) specifically state that they give more weight to the later years of undergrad, and less ot the cGPA.

Sure there are also plenty of med schools that have so many qualified applicants that they can afford to ignore people who screw up in the beginning, but rising GPA trends are a always good, and there are many other MD (and all DO) schools that reward reinvention. We all love come from behind stories...indeed, it's in our national DNA.

I'm not a rah-rah "you can do it!" Pollyanna, OP, you're in a Grand Canyon sized hole. But if you want to be a doctor, you need to find out why you have done so poorly. Get to your school's learning or education center to find out what's going wrong and how to fix it. If mental health or coping issues are a factor, you need to see a counselor for help with that.

Then read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you not banned? What kind of garbage advice is this?! People fail undergrad, redo bachelors, SMPs and work hard and still get to medical school. People go through a lot of **** in undergrad. There are many reasons for poor grades.

Some of actually do well the first time around without being given any second chances and still fall short of getting in. And this is only after having followed this path for many years longer than OP currently has. Why should he be encouraged to continue taking on debt and losing time when the odds are so incredibly stacked against him?

Some of actually do well the first time around without being given any second chances and still fall short of getting in. And this is only after having followed this path for many years longer than OP currently has. Why should he be encouraged to continue taking on debt and losing time when the odds are so incredibly stacked against him?

OP is female firstly.

Some people do well the first time around, but the reality is it’s competitive no matter how you look at it. Numbers get you to the door, and interviews/letters/interpersonal skills get you through it. Nobody’s numbers indicate their qualifications completely, and there is much more to an applicant than what can be measured on these scales.

She should be encouraged because it is possible to succeed in her goal with a lot of work, and she asked us how to do it, not whether she should try.

OP is female firstly.

Some people do well the first time around, but the reality is it’s competitive no matter how you look at it. Numbers get you to the door, and interviews/letters/interpersonal skills get you through it. Nobody’s numbers indicate their qualifications completely, and there is much more to an applicant than what can be measured on these scales.

She should be encouraged because it is possible to succeed in her goal with a lot of work, and she asked us how to do it, not whether she should try.

In addition to this, it has happened many times before. With just her numbers being low, she can still make up for it through post baccs, etc. She could do well on the MCAT and hell, she probably has one heck of a story. Somebody's numbers do not make them qualified or not. As mentioned in other threads, being a doctor is MORE than about succeeding at the academic part of it. It is about being a good HUMAN BEING. If anything, this experience taught her what it is like to be humbled. Most people don't even know the meaning of the word and end up being quite salty and quite bitter when they don't get in

Yes the GPA is important. But it is not the ONLY THING. This isn't a stats only game. As @Goro says, 4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen! GPA/MCAT get you to the door, but interview skills,ECs/personal skills get you THROUGH the door.

It's getting hot in here :whistle:. OP, there have been some great points made on this thread, but it's on you to move forward. @Goro is right that even adcoms love a come from behind story (I am one myself after all). But the others are right too to point out how completely you'll need to transform your academic performance. So, here's my 2 cents...in addition to showing that you can dominate a term of premed coursework, try to get some shadowing in...or get a job in healthcare. You need to know what you are getting yourself into so you can be fully committed when things get crazy tough (and they will) Good luck!

Last edited:
She should be encouraged because you only live once. If Medicine is her dream, the debt and commitment may not discourage her.

OP is female firstly.

Well actually, no, she did ask us whether or not she should try. And I am not alone is thinking it is best that she does not. It is one thing to work towards becoming a doctor if you are currently showing an adequate level of academic performance. It in another if you have failed several courses, done mediocre in the reminder, and then try to continue. In light of the currently ongoing Olympics games, OP’s situation is akin to an athlete totally wiping out on their first run of two, and expecting to end up on the podium. Some of you seem to be living in a land of the make believe advising people like this continue on this path. Even though I am not a medical student, I am pretty sure that it is wrong to give a patient (or anyone) false hope when dealing with their prognosis.

In light of the currently ongoing Olympics games, OP’s situation is akin to an athlete totally wiping out on their first run of two, and expecting to end up on the podium. Some of you seem to be living in a land of the make believe advising people like this continue on this path. Even though I am not a medical student, I am pretty sure that it is wrong to give a patient (or anyone) false hope when dealing with their prognosis.

Unlike sports competition, med schools of various forms believe in redemption and reinvention. Also who are you to say it is a false hope? I am a third time re-applicant. I've retaken the MCAT for a total of 4 times. I am an international. And I'm having my best cycle ever yet, in fact with an II 30 minutes ago. Are you sure it is not just your personal experience giving you a bitter bias?

Some of actually do well the first time around without being given any second chances and still fall short of getting in.

Does this "some of us" have an avatar name that contains a D and rhymes with the word player?

Reactions: 4 users
In addition to this, it has happened many times before. With just her numbers being low, she can still make up for it through post baccs, etc. She could do well on the MCAT and hell, she probably has one heck of a story. Somebody's numbers do not make them qualified or not. As mentioned in other threads, being a doctor is MORE than about succeeding at the academic part of it. It is about being a good HUMAN BEING. If anything, this experience taught her what it is like to be humbled. Most people don't even know the meaning of the word and end up being quite salty and quite bitter when they don't get in

Yes the GPA is important. But it is not the ONLY THING. This isn't a stats only game. As @Goro says, 4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen! GPA/MCAT get you to the door, but interview skills,ECs/personal skills get you THROUGH the door.
I mean he brought up some good points. OP needs to understand the tremendous effort she will need to put in going forward if she wants a shot at Med school. And yes, we all love a come-from-behind story but after 3 years of classes, OP has not demonstrated her ability to be able turn it around. She could have an amazing story or she doesn’t, you don’t know. While it’s true that all these other factors besides stats will get you through the door, the point stands that you still need to GET TO the door, and that is not going to happen with a 2.0.

let me also add: the personal issues I was referring to was my mother getting very sick and my dad having to work over over overtime to pay bills... I had to not only help around the house but help take care of my younger brothers. through that time I suffered some different illnesses myself and some personal relationship issues (TOXIC TOXIC TOXIC relationship). I put more focus into trying to mend the relationship I was in and let my academics suffer. Also- I did not get a D in Gen Bio II or Algebra because I did not comprehend the material. Like I said, I missed classes and let my academics fade into the background.

it is not a question of competency or intelligence. it was problems that were resolved and hopefully all things of the past! I'm not talking just general "stress".

I guess after reading all of this I'm extremely scared and discouraged. I have many people in my life that know I am smart enough and determined enough... but they are of course advocating I make the safer choice- nursing. The only problem with that is I want to be a doctor. I am supposed to be a doctor.

I fully intended to repeat and excel in those courses. Continue to excel from here on out. Make sure I participate in many extracurriculars.

But if that is not enough to save me... of course I'm scared to be stuck with a useless degree (i.e. BS in psychology).

I am a female, btw.

It’s really up to you to make the choice. It is not impossible, but it will be a huge challenge and the struggles you had academically will follow you the whole way in the form of your transcript.

There are other paths to other medical careers (NP, PA etc.) but that isn’t a doctor and it sounds like you are settled on MD/DO or bust.

It’s time to take a long hard look, pull up a calendar and plan how and when you would do this. Semester by semester, class by class, figure out what needs to be done and if you think you can do it. See your academic/career counseling office and think hard about what you really want and why. You have to be honest with yourself, make a decision, and trust that decision when the going gets tough.

Good luck to you!

I just don't know what to say. This is my dream. While it took me some time to realize and unfortunately my current stats are atrocious... I know I can do well. I can display the fortitude and drive it takes to become a physician. But at the same time... I'm scared (especially after making this post). If it would all be for nothing... While this may be my dream, I am also concerned that my quality of life will stay as poor as it is now (financially). If I knew that repeating those courses, finishing a BS with an excellent gpa (YES, I am capable... regardless of the past), and prove I am passionate by picking up meaningful extracurriculars would make me at least an average applicant. I don't want my poor performance at community college to kill my dreams. I want to fix it... and I just don't know how if the things I listed will not work (according to many that replied).

let me also add: the personal issues I was referring to was my mother getting very sick and my dad having to work over over overtime to pay bills... I had to not only help around the house but help take care of my younger brothers. through that time I suffered some different illnesses myself and some personal relationship issues (TOXIC TOXIC TOXIC relationship). I put more focus into trying to mend the relationship I was in and let my academics suffer. Also- I did not get a D in Gen Bio II or Algebra because I did not comprehend the material. Like I said, I missed classes and let my academics fade into the background.

it is not a question of competency or intelligence. it was problems that were resolved and hopefully all things of the past! I'm not talking just general "stress".

I guess after reading all of this I'm extremely scared and discouraged. I have many people in my life that know I am smart enough and determined enough... but they are of course advocating I make the safer choice- nursing. The only problem with that is I want to be a doctor. I am supposed to be a doctor.

I fully intended to repeat and excel in those courses. Continue to excel from here on out. Make sure I participate in many extracurriculars.

But if that is not enough to save me... of course I'm scared to be stuck with a useless degree (i.e. BS in psychology).

One of the most important skills you will need to master is to make good choices and NOT try to bulldoze your way through academics when Life is hammering at you with a 2x4. This is what W's are for.

You will also need to learn good coping skills because Life will continue to hammer at you and med school by itself is no picnic for the emotions either.

And always remember that this is a marathon now, not a sprint.

Go read everything in the NonTrad forum by the wise DrMidlife.

SDNers should also be aware that academic disasters can be overcome. Personality defects, not so much. Not even good academics can salvage those.

Reactions: 4 users
Lastly, I want to add...

I do not think my story is extraordinary or incredible. I knew from a younger age that I wanted to be a doctor. I come from a family that is hardworking but they struggle. They did not have the money to help send me to college or help pay for community college. Actually, I am the first person in my entire family to go to college. I just never thought becoming a doctor was in the stars for me. I thought it was some disillusioned fairytale. I got into a car accident going into my senior year. I went through the windshield at 60mph (I was the passenger). I should have died. I had severe head trauma and it took a long time to recover. Even when I recovered from my physical injuries, it was a couple years before I felt like myself. As soon as my car accident happened- I entered a relationship that would go on to last 4 years (senior year, all of community college except for this current semester). This relationship destroyed me and I am building myself back up little by little. I have gotten my priorities straight. Upon encroaching on the nursing program, I have found it harder and harder to silence my real dream. I want to become a doctor. The previous issues (family member illness, my own illness, toxic/abusive relationship) are out of the equation.

While I look terrible on paper (and probably seem like some lunatic even saying I want to go to medical school), it's meeting me where you realize where I am coming from! That I am the right person for this job. I have a plan and will do whatever it takes to execute it... I am afraid. I just wanted advice and people to assure me I wouldn't be making the biggest mistake by chasing something I'll never acheive.

She should be encouraged because you only live once. If Medicine is her dream, the debt and commitment may not discourage her.

Indeed!
Lastly, I want to add...

I do not think my story is extraordinary or incredible. I knew from a younger age that I wanted to be a doctor. I come from a family that is hardworking but they struggle. They did not have the money to help send me to college or help pay for community college. Actually, I am the first person in my entire family to go to college. I just never thought becoming a doctor was in the stars for me. I thought it was some disillusioned fairytale. I got into a car accident going into my senior year. I went through the windshield at 60mph (I was the passenger). I should have died. I had severe head trauma and it took a long time to recover. Even when I recovered from my physical injuries, it was a couple years before I felt like myself. As soon as my car accident happened- I entered a relationship that would go on to last 4 years (senior year, all of community college except for this current semester). This relationship destroyed me and I am building myself back up little by little. I have gotten my priorities straight. Upon encroaching on the nursing program, I have found it harder and harder to silence my real dream. I want to become a doctor. The previous issues (family member illness, my own illness, toxic/abusive relationship) are out of the equation.

While I look terrible on paper (and probably seem like some lunatic even saying I want to go to medical school), it's meeting me where you realize where I am coming from! That I am the right person for this job. I have a plan and will do whatever it takes to execute it... I am afraid. I just wanted advice and people to assure me I wouldn't be making the biggest mistake by chasing something I'll never acheive.

The majority of people on sdn only want you to succeed! Many though, have special insight into how difficult this will be because they have been through this process themselves (some are even a part of the process, eh Goro). Knowing that this is your childhood dream makes me double down on my advice to start shadowing. I wish every premed had to get a few hours in before freshman year was complete, it's that important to have some patient contact and see what you are getting yourself into...

Last edited:
Well, he did take the MCAT four times. I think that means he knows four times as much as us, or something, or whatever.

As a word of advice to all who frequent these forums: always consider the source of advice. (For example, I'm sleep-deprived and basically insane most of the time, so take what I say with a grain of salt.) (Except this.) Those who have poor insight into why they've repeatedly failed to gain acceptance to medical school may not be best qualified to tell others to abandon their dreams.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, he did take the MCAT four times. I think that means he knows four times as much as us, or something, or whatever.

As a word of advice to all who frequent these forums: always consider the source of advice. (For example, I'm sleep-deprived and basically insane most of the time, so take what I say with a grain of salt.) (Except this.) Those who have poor insight into why they've repeatedly failed to gain acceptance to medical school may not be best qualified to tell others to abandon their dreams.

I wish I could like this 5 times

Lol I see the facetiousness here

Check back in after you ace two semesters of coursework. Until then this is all wanton speculation.
You got it!!! I'll keep you guys updated. I feel like I won't really know which way to go until I get those numbers up.

Just keep working at it and make sure all prior issues are resolved! Best of luck!

Your chances are zero if you don’t try.

Yep, my first bachelor's was in psych. With it, I got to work the same $10/hr job I was already working before I graduated. No other jobs bit... but I also graduated in the throes of the last recession (2009), so maybe that was a factor.

Reading your other posts and your story, you are one of the few people I would actually advise to continue in your nursing classes. I'm assuming (maybe falsely, shows my biases) that if you are a first generation college student, you probably don't have a great family safety net to fall back on if med school doesn't work out for you and you also can't find a job with your psych degree. Working as a nurse will pay your bills and pay off your student loans if nothing else, and it's a pretty good EC for DO schools (MD schools haven't seemed to weigh it well, based on my II luck).

Sprinkle in the pre-med classes where you have time during your nursing curriculum. If your school is anything like mine was, this would probably mean taking the pre-med courses at night, as nursing courses tend to have weird scheduling times and can switch class times halfway through the semester.

Good luck!

Yep, my first bachelor's was in psych. With it, I got to work the same $10/hr job I was already working before I graduated. No other jobs bit... but I also graduated in the throes of the last recession (2009), so maybe that was a factor.

Reading your other posts and your story, you are one of the few people I would actually advise to continue in your nursing classes. I'm assuming (maybe falsely, shows my biases) that if you are a first generation college student, you probably don't have a great family safety net to fall back on if med school doesn't work out for you and you also can't find a job with your psych degree. Working as a nurse will pay your bills and pay off your student loans if nothing else, and it's a pretty good EC for DO schools (MD schools haven't seemed to weigh it well, based on my II luck).

Sprinkle in the pre-med classes where you have time during your nursing curriculum. If your school is anything like mine was, this would probably mean taking the pre-med courses at night, as nursing courses tend to have weird scheduling times and can switch class times halfway through the semester.

Good luck!
While this advice makes sense to me completely... it also scares me so much. You truly think it’s highly unlikely if I excel in the remaining undergrad coursework that I’ll end up screwed?

To the last reply: I haven’t been accepted into nursing yet. While I know my chances of acceptance are very very high, I would have to wait until next spring to start my ATB in nursing.

I wanted to update everyone!
I applied to Towson and UMBC. I just received my acceptance letter to Towson with 45 credits accepted.

I plan to retake the F’s from community college this summer.

While I may be able to graduate Spring 2020 with a psych degree, it means I would have to apply to med school earlier. It is not feasible to believe 2 semesters worth of work will be able to showcase my ability and make up for the F’s.

If I was to complete a bs in biology, I would graduate Fall 2020 and could apply to med school later than if I was to graduate in spring. I would have enough coursework under by belt and enough time for EC’s. Not to mention the pre-reqs would fulfill my major.

In order to do this, I plan on staying enrolled during the summer.

I made an action plan (haven’t talked to advisor yet). While the course load is rigorous- I can always use my first semester to gauge my ability.

Like I’ve said before- my downfall was never inability to comprehend the material. I am in a better place now to take on such rigorous academics.

TOWSON UNIVERSITY: PLAN OF ACTION

FALL 2018 – E.C.

INTRO TO CELLULAR BIO AND GENETICS BIOL 200 / 200 L
ED AND CAREER PLANNING IN BIO BIOL 204 (1 credit)
CALC FOR APPLICATIONS MATH211
GEN CHEM I CHEM131 / 131 L
*** EXTRA COURSE?

SPRING 2019 – E.C. / MCAT PREP

GEN CHEM II CHEM132 / 132 L
INTRO TO ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION BIOL202
PHYSICS I PHYS211
GENETICS BIOL309

SUMMER 2019 – E.C. / RESEARCH SCHOOLS / MCAT PREP

BIODIVERSITY BIOL208
ORGO CHEM I CHEM331 / 331 L (ask about chem330???)
PHYSICS II PHYS211
***EXTRA COURSE?

FALL 2019 – LOR / MCAT PREP / PERSONAL STATEMENT DRAFTING

ORGO CHEM II CHEM332/ 332 L
PHYSICS II PHYS212
CELL BIOLOGY BIOL408 (SEE ABOUT BIOL221/222) *MAYBE BIOL405
BIOL ELECTIVE

SPRING 2020 – TAKE MCAT NO LATER THAN MID MAY / PRIMARY APP. APRIL

??? BIOL ELECTIVE
??? BIOL ELECTIVE
ADVANCED PHYSIOLOGY BIOL470
INDEPENDENT RESEARCH BIOL491 *** REPEAT FOR UP TO 6 UNITS ALLOWED

SUMMER 2020 – RESEARCH FINANCIAL AID

ELECTIVES OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ELECTIVES:
BIOCHEM (CHEM351),
MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY BIOL315
MOLECULAR BIO BIOL409
DISSECTION OF UPPER EXTREMITY IN HUMANS BIOL425 (MINI MESTER)
FISH BIOLOGY BIOL455
BIOLOGY SEMINAR
MAMMAL PHYSIOLOGY BIOL465

EXPECTED GRADUATION: FALL 2020
EXPECTED MATRICULATION TO MED SCHOOL: FALL 2021
(MOST LIKELY NO EARLIER???)

I just want to know what everyone thinks. Does it have to be impossible for me?

Yes, I do not have a safety net to fall on in regard to family.

But I believe in my ability!!!

Good luck!
I just don’t know why I’m one of the only few you’d recommend to not pursue it. I know I messed up but the circumstances were truly special.

Not to mention I’ve always been passionate and done well in biology.

P.s. the list of electives aren’t the ones I need just the ones I have picked out as options for the requirements

I just don’t know why I’m one of the only few you’d recommend to not pursue it. I know I messed up but the circumstances were truly special.
I wasn't saying don't pursue MD/DO - I was saying you're one of the few I'd actually recommend pursuing nursing, in addition to taking the pre-med classes. Sorry if that was unclear.

You had some interest in nursing and considered it a viable plan prior to coming here and making this thread, as seen by being pre-nursing in the first place. I recommend it specifically for you because of the previous interest and the safety net issue, and therefore, because of the trouble you're probably going to have paying for secondary fees/MCAT/etc. This process is really, really expensive - I've probably spent $10k between primary apps, secondary apps, and interviewing costs. If you get lucky you'll qualify for fee assistance, but a lot of people don't. You need some way to come up with that income yourself.

If you make straight As in the nursing program (I did except for one class), that will help a lot with pulling up your other grades. If you go to a school where most people make Cs and you also make Cs, that will be a real problem. So, just carefully screen the nursing schools you apply to, and talk to current students. See if typically the whole admitted class graduates or if a large swath are failing out before graduation. I would avoid the latter schools like the plague.

Last edited:
You have not shown people that you have the ability to turn it around. We’re talking about subpar grade for 6 semesters and most semesters are less than 10 credits. The circumstances are unique but there are people who managed to do it while keeping good grades. You also mentioned that you don’t have a family safety net. So is it REALLY worth it at the end? Are you 100% SURE you know what being a physician entails that you are willing to put in 10X more effort than everyone else to make it work? At the end of the day, a job is a job and your personal life is your personal life. You don’t NEED to be physician to be happy in life and some people disagree but, I don’t make my job my life. I go home and I don’t think about work.

You have not shown people that you have the ability to turn it around. We’re talking about subpar grade for 6 semesters and most semesters are less than 10 credits. The circumstances are unique but there are people who managed to do it while keeping good grades. You also mentioned that you don’t have a family safety net. So is it REALLY worth it at the end? Are you 100% SURE you know what being a physician entails that you are willing to put in 10X more effort than everyone else to make it work? At the end of the day, a job is a job and your personal life is your personal life. You don’t NEED to be physician to be happy in life and some people disagree but, I don’t make my job my life. I go home and I don’t think about work.

“You have not shown you have the ability to turn it around”. That’s why I applied to Towson, got accepted, and plan to utilize my time there showing I turned it around.

What I’m asking here is (because I KNOW I have the ability) is if I finish my degree (refer to the courses I posted) and I excel (I will continue to update when tangible grades are a reality): can I make it past my previous mistakes? Will it be possible for me? If I make A’s and B’s and thrive for the rest of my undergrad will it be enough? My question isn’t so much can I do well in the rest of my undergrad but IF I do well, will I still have a chance?

“You have not shown you have the ability to turn it around”. That’s why I applied to Towson, got accepted, and plan to utilize my time there showing I turned it around.

What I’m asking here is (because I KNOW I have the ability) is if I finish my degree (refer to the courses I posted) and I excel (I will continue to update when tangible grades are a reality): can I make it past my previous mistakes? Will it be possible for me? If I make A’s and B’s and thrive for the rest of my undergrad will it be enough? My question isn’t so much can I do well in the rest of my undergrad but IF I do well, will I still have a chance?

I mean ofc you will have a chance, but that is alot of assumptions. What I'm trying to say is this will take years of reinventing yourself. Years you will never get back and at the end of the day, is that worth it for you? So you say it is your dream to become a physician, but I don't think you actually understand what it means to be a physician. Yes it is about helping people, but it is also a crap ton of paper work, calling insurance companies, chasing after patients who don't even care about themselves. What I am concerned about is that you have an unrealistic perception of what being a physician is because it has been your dream for so long that it is all sugar-coated into this idea of how amazing or glorious you think it is, which may be far from reality. At the end of the day, only you can decide for yourself if all these time, resources and money is worth it. If I am in your shoe, I would say no.

I mean ofc you will have a chance, but that is alot of assumptions. What I'm trying to say is this will take years of reinventing yourself. Years you will never get back and at the end of the day, is that worth it for you? So you say it is your dream to become a physician, but I don't think you actually understand what it means to be a physician. Yes it is about helping people, but it is also a crap ton of paper work, calling insurance companies, chasing after patients who don't even care about themselves. What I am concerned about is that you have an unrealistic perception of what being a physician is because it has been your dream for so long that it is all sugar-coated into this idea of how amazing or glorious you think it is, which may be far from reality. At the end of the day, only you can decide for yourself if all these time, resources and money is worth it. If I am in your shoe, I would say no.
This is why I am going to begin shadowing early. I am shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon in the OR and clinic. He offered to let me see behind the scenes. I plan to shadow many doctors in many specialties. I understand being a doctor isn't what it's like in the movies or television. I want to gain clinical experience.

I think it's also important to mention... I don't want to just take these courses because they are required for medical school. I am genuinely interested and excited about them. I have known since my first high school biology course that I loved the science! I constantly find myself in my Anatomy and Phys II class thinking to myself "I wish this concept went deeper or I wish I better understood how this is working”. While I excel in anatomy- I want to have a full, concrete understanding of the biology and chemistry at play.

I am taking on a rigorous course load to not only try to finish within the next two years but to also prove that I can turn my grades around with an impressive load to boot.
Let’s say things didn’t pan out medical school wise, I would still be proud to have a BS in Biology. While finding a high paying career might not be easy… I am used to making $10/hr. Anything would be improvement… and I would not mind furthering my education later on.
This is what I want. I do not believe I have an unrealistic expectation of what being a doctor is. I know it’s not all action sequences and crash carts. I think dealing with a crap ton of paperwork and insurance companies is a small price to pay in return for such a rewarding and exciting profession.

You cannot put yourself in my shoes. That is the point. Hence why all of my questions have been geared towards “if x happens, will y be possible”. That is the only answer anyone that does not know me can provide me.
I think one of the most discouraging things have been some of the posters on this site. While you haven’t been inherently rude and I more than appreciate your reply… it is very discouraging.
I know the next 2 years (no summers off) is going to be HARD WORK. I am ready to put in the time and am determined to do well. I am excited and passionate about what I will be studying! The circumstances that previously hindered my academic performance have been extinguished and there is nothing holding me back from performing well.

I came on here to find out—If I do well, do the previous transgressions make my chances impossible. I also wanted a network of people excited for me and supportive of me. I wanted to continue to update on my progress as things move forward. I didn’t need a complete stranger telling me I have some disillusioned fantasy of what a physician really is.

This is why I am going to begin shadowing early. I am shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon in the OR and clinic. He offered to let me see behind the scenes. I plan to shadow many doctors in many specialties. I understand being a doctor isn't what it's like in the movies or television. I want to gain clinical experience.

I think it's also important to mention... I don't want to just take these courses because they are required for medical school. I am genuinely interested and excited about them. I have known since my first high school biology course that I loved the science! I constantly find myself in my Anatomy and Phys II class thinking to myself "I wish this concept went deeper or I wish I better understood how this is working”. While I excel in anatomy- I want to have a full, concrete understanding of the biology and chemistry at play.

I am taking on a rigorous course load to not only try to finish within the next two years but to also prove that I can turn my grades around with an impressive load to boot.
Let’s say things didn’t pan out medical school wise, I would still be proud to have a BS in Biology. While finding a high paying career might not be easy… I am used to making $10/hr. Anything would be improvement… and I would not mind furthering my education later on.
This is what I want. I do not believe I have an unrealistic expectation of what being a doctor is. I know it’s not all action sequences and crash carts. I think dealing with a crap ton of paperwork and insurance companies is a small price to pay in return for such a rewarding and exciting profession.

You cannot put yourself in my shoes. That is the point. Hence why all of my questions have been geared towards “if x happens, will y be possible”. That is the only answer anyone that does not know me can provide me.
I think one of the most discouraging things have been some of the posters on this site. While you haven’t been inherently rude and I more than appreciate your reply… it is very discouraging.
I know the next 2 years (no summers off) is going to be HARD WORK. I am ready to put in the time and am determined to do well. I am excited and passionate about what I will be studying! The circumstances that previously hindered my academic performance have been extinguished and there is nothing holding me back from performing well.

I came on here to find out—If I do well, do the previous transgressions make my chances impossible. I also wanted a network of people excited for me and supportive of me. I wanted to continue to update on my progress as things move forward. I didn’t need a complete stranger telling me I have some disillusioned fantasy of what a physician really is.
Tell me in less than 3 sentences why you want to be a physician. Loving science is not reason enough, why not a PhD? Helping people is not reason enough, why not be a social worker? You even said you need more shadowing, so how can you really be that sure without a complete understanding.
For the record, I started my reply with you will definitely have a shot if you work hard from here on. My suggestion is that you remain fluid and flexible going forward. It is not 100% that you will absolutely perform well and it's not 100% that you still want to be physician after shadowing. Keep doing the best you can but also keep an open mind about other opportunities (ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN B) that come up.

While finding a high paying career might not be easy… I am used to making $10/hr. Anything would be improvement… and I would not mind furthering my education later on.
The problem with making $10/hr is that you have no emergency fund. I lived off of $10/hr for several years, so I know. Came out to about $22k/year when it came to filing my taxes. I lived in a tiny 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, made my car payment, rent, electric bill, internet, and budgeted $100 for gas, $200 for food and $200 for everything else per month. I used every dime I made.

I didn't have health insurance; it's not affordable on $10/hr. Not to mention, unless you have a full tuition scholarship to the school you're at right now (I did for my first university; it was very helpful), eventually those student loans are going to come due, and that's also going to be difficult to pay on $10/hr when you still have to eat and pay for the roof over your head.

I'm just saying there is no guarantee with the psych or bio degrees that you are going to find a job that pays more than $10/hr (I didn't with my psych degree), and unless you work at Starbucks or Costco, most of those jobs don't come with insurance. It's worth looking into a major with guaranteed income precisely because of how difficult it is to live off of $10/hr.