Need some MAJOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol, pun. I am currently a cell and molecular biology major. My school offers a biomedical science major as well. In my current major, I am required to take biotechnology, nucleic acids lab, bioinformatics, and genomics, and courses along those lines as well as the biomedical sciences courses that I'll need to apply for med school (anatomy, phys, biochem, etc.) I feel like my current major makes me stand out a little more from the other applicants from my school, most of which are BMS majors and it'll definitely aid me more in the research side of things, however I am uneasy about it. Do you think it'll look good to admissions committees/be worth the extra classes I'll need to take as compared to traditional BMS applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Highest GPA for relevant course work. Nobody cares about your major, your minor. Seriously.

Reactions: 8 users
Im gunna go with a hard NEITHER! If you love the major you likely wouldnt be asking. Major in what you enjoy and you will be happy and do better.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I would have chosen economics.

Lol, pun. I am currently a cell and molecular biology major. My school offers a biomedical science major as well. In my current major, I am required to take biotechnology, nucleic acids lab, bioinformatics, and genomics, and courses along those lines as well as the biomedical sciences courses that I'll need to apply for med school (anatomy, phys, biochem, etc.) I feel like my current major makes me stand out a little more from the other applicants from my school, most of which are BMS majors and it'll definitely aid me more in the research side of things, however I am uneasy about it. Do you think it'll look good to admissions committees/be worth the extra classes I'll need to take as compared to traditional BMS applicants?
We don't care about majors or minors, but only that you do well. Major in whatever interests you.

Reactions: 1 users
Im gunna go with a hard NEITHER! If you love the major you likely wouldnt be asking. Major in what you enjoy and you will be happy and do better.
I am interested in both majors, just don’t have the time to double major! Coursework for both majors interest me, I was just curious if either would be more beneficial for apps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Major doesn't matter.
In this case the majors really aren't going to matter, just pick the one you prefer or that will yield the highest GPA for you.

Reactions: 1 users