Need some help deciding (Texas Schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatAggieGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I was accepted to Dell medical school! Although I'm very excited, I am also very torn between the 3 schools I prematched to: UTSW, Dell, UTH (Mcgovern).

I need some help and different input (possibly from other applicants or medical students) to begin finalizing my choice.

Currently I am 90% UTSW.
Pros:
I was offered a full ride scholarship, which to me makes a world of difference in having to decide between the schools. I felt very welcomed during my interview and didn't get a sense of "cut-throatness" AT ALL even though I went in there expecting to hate the environment. I've been to Dallas twice and I was blown away! UTSW's prestige and opportunity at parkland is something I feel I can't pass up. In addition, UTSW's residencies are top notch.

Cons: Far from home.

9.5% Dell
Pros: I felt at home during my interview. I came out feeling like enlightened from Dean Johnson's speech and the entire idea behind the university. Even bought a Dell Medical School t-shirt right after the interview for good luck. Austin is a great city and I could definitely see myself living there. It's closer to home. Pretty high step scores too (but this is all a personal thing)!

Cons: New school (can't tell if that's a con really)

Disclaimer: I will be hearing back about scholarships for dell pretty soon, if I don't get full ride do y'all believe this is something I can negotiate with the school seeing that UTSW offered me something of that sort.

0.5% UTH
After today's acceptance, I've been really thinking about withdrawing my prematch to open a spot for someone else. It would make me really happy for someone to receive the spot they've been waiting for. Does anyone have any opinions or reason as to why they would rank uth over either dell or utsw?

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Today, I was accepted to Dell medical school! Although I'm very excited, I am also very torn between the 3 schools I prematched to: UTSW, Dell, UTH (Mcgovern).

I need some help and different input (possibly from other applicants or medical students) to begin finalizing my choice.

Currently I am 90% UTSW.
Pros:
I was offered a full ride scholarship, which to me makes a world of difference in having to decide between the schools. I felt very welcomed during my interview and didn't get a sense of "cut-throatness" AT ALL even though I went in there expecting to hate the environment. I've been to Dallas twice and I was blown away! UTSW's prestige and opportunity at parkland is something I feel I can't pass up. In addition, UTSW's residencies are top notch.

Cons: Far from home.

9.5% Dell
Pros: I felt at home during my interview. I came out feeling like enlightened from Dean Johnson's speech and the entire idea behind the university. Even bought a Dell Medical School t-shirt right after the interview for good luck. Austin is a great city and I could definitely see myself living there. It's closer to home. Pretty high step scores too (but this is all a personal thing)!

Cons: New school (can't tell if that's a con really)

Disclaimer: I will be hearing back about scholarships for dell pretty soon, if I don't get full ride do y'all believe this is something I can negotiate with the school seeing that UTSW offered me something of that sort.

0.5% UTH
After today's acceptance, I've been really thinking about withdrawing my prematch to open a spot for someone else. It would make me really happy for someone to receive the spot they've been waiting for. Does anyone have any opinions or reason as to why they would rank uth over either dell or utsw?

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Where are you from in Texas? How far away is each school from your hometown. They are all pretty great options. I think you should go where you feel like you would do the best at and be the happiest at.

Where are you from in Texas? How far away is each school from your hometown. They are all pretty great options. I think you should go where you feel like you would do the best at and be the happiest at.
south texas! Dallas is about 7 hours away while Austin is almost 4

south texas! Dallas is about 7 hours away while Austin is almost 4
It really sounds like you want to go to UTSW, and it looks like you would have a good time, so I think you should attend UTSW. Do you know what specialty you are interested in? I think it's important when considering what school to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out this thread! It’s about a similar situation and I found insightful. How to Choose The Right School

Also, anecdotally a friend got a full ride at UTSW. She negotiated with Baylor and got a half-tuition scholarship and ended up matriculating there instead. I think she also had personal reasons to go to Houston though

Last edited:
Go with the cheapest option. If you want a masters too I’d go with dell if price is the same, if not UTSW because it’s P/F unlike UTH.

Just FYI: If you want a master's, that's additional tuition. It's not included in the Dell tuition/fees.

Congrats on these phenomenal choices. I am also a current applicant and interviewed at Dell.

Nonetheless, I would go with UTSW. I say that, fully expecting Dell to rise to become a top medical school as well in due time- they have the money, amazing faculty and admin from all over the US, and the power of UT-Austin behind them.

BUT...UTSW is already bad ass. They have the name recognition, research funding, and awesome match to boot. You can go there KNOWING that it is already a power house. I also have friends there who love it, I think the days of UTSW being "cut-throat" are long gone.

That being said...if you are particularly interested in Healthcare Leadership/Admin and want an MBA...Dell might be a big draw with the dual degree opportunity and power of McCombs (UT Dallas, which is UTSW sister business school, is not nearly as strong).

I also got accepted to Dell btw! Best of luck with your decision!