TMDSAS: Dell vs UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stoppingtheworld

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Thanks for taking the time to review this post. I have been caught between Dell vs UTSW for quite some time. Before the winter holiday, I had decided on UTSW being the best choice for me, due to the proximity to home and prestige. However, Dell has offered me a full tuition scholarship and that has added a new prespective to this dilemma.

UTSW (prematch)
Pros
  • Name recognition, prestige
  • Close to home, family
  • Already established in the field I am looking to go into (Derm or plastics are in the running).
  • Large enough group to make lots of friends and groups (I'm very social). To that same point, I already have a friend group of admitted (and recently started) students ready at UTSW.
Cons
  • No scholarships.
  • Always had a seemingly sterile vibe from the institution as a whole.
  • Not as collaborative as I would like.
Dell (prematch)
Pros
  • Really love the mission.
  • Full tuition scholarship.
  • Small cohort sizes (50) work well enough for me. I like knowing people intimately.
  • 3rd year masters degree (easier done than UTSW).
  • Accelerated preclinical
  • Austin is a cool city to be in
Cons
  • The campus overall is not that impressive to me and I was a bit underwhelmed with what I saw.
  • A bit skeptical of the clinical experience I may get in Austin.
  • COL is much more expensive but according to my calculations, the free tuition offered offsets a huge amount, even accounting for COL.
  • 3 hour drive from family, but it's not a terrible drive either.
  • 50 people is still a smaller group.
  • Don't like that lectures are not recorded, and that a lot of self initiation will be needed on my part.

Summary: Overall, I wish there was a school that seemingly blended all the things I liked about both schools in one. Considering that UTSW is closer to home, are established and would make me feel confident in my ability to pursue a specialty such as derm or plastics, they are a great choice. Considering that Dell has offered me a full tuition scholarship and that I may have a more individualized experience while in school there, they are also a great choice.

Thank you all for your comments and advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Upon reading it once, I would have said hands down Dell because of full tuition. But the fact you have family in Dallas AND are considering Derm sways me to UTSW. Plus, as you said, Austin is expensive asf. Good luck on whatever you end up choosing!

Reactions: 1 user
Go where you will be happiest. Committing the next 4+ years to a field that will be mentally/emotionally challenging will be even more taxing without support. I underestimated the impact/importance of social life and having a support system when I was in undergrad (went a t10 undergrad out of state) and although academically I turned out okay, mentally/emotionally I did not. However, I understand that having the opportunity to be less in debt upon completion complicates things.

Edit: additionally at the moment, it seems like from your perspective UTSW has less cons than Dell so you may know in your heart already the answer.

I think UTSW is the way to go here. It’s a strong school with a great reputation that seems to produce not just excellent, but relatively whole doctors at the end of their four years. Staying close to family is a huge plus too.

Members don't see this ad :)