Need Some Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kookie

MoM_2_MeD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Hi everyone in SDN....this is my first time posting a thread...yayy!...anyway I need some advice on becoming a plastic surgeon....I'm made a whole U turn and decided to get into the medical field after doubting that I can achieve such a field...I am a science major...just started this fall....I called another school that have a premedical program and to get there I need to have a year of biology, 1 year of chemistry...and so on......once I get into that program and finish what am I suppose to do next....I know I have to apply for medical school...but what should I focus on when choosing a school for myself....I just need some help on the steps that I need to take to get my education plan correctly....I feel better when I have a plan to follow so i don't seem lost and confused.

P.S I know I'm long from that point but I would like to plan my education right since education is not cheap, and also don't want to waste time switching and going around in circles

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kookie

Get the best grades you can and the highest score on the MCAT

Then apply to the school that best fits you with a solid inhouse plastic surgery program.

Also, search the premd/predo and this forum for previous threads on this subject.

Best wishes!

Thanks soo much for the advice...but I don't know whats a inhouse plastic surgery program...again I'm new to all of this....is it like or is it a residency program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks soo much for the advice...but I don't know whats a inhouse plastic surgery program...again I'm new to all of this....is it like or is it a residency program?

Yes, an "in-house plastic surgery program" refers to a medical school which has a plastic surgery residency.

Attending a medical school with one gives you good exposure to the field, the opportunity to do an elective or Sub-I without traveling and, if you're happy there and do well in school, perhaps the best chance to match into PRS (unless you end up becoming a superstar).

it is a small field, one of your best chances of getting in is who you know, or who your preceptor(s) know. but there are always the few with amazing boards, letters, personality, grades, honored everything since early childhood including potty training, travel to 3rd world countries in their spare time to save lives...those are the "superstars" (of course this is slightly sarcastic...but you get the point).

1) do well on the USMLE
2) do well in your clerkships
3) connect in your local area, program or not...maybe just surgeons in your
hospital (for experience, letters etc)
4) rotate local if possible and away

then whatever else you can bring to the table that makes you special; research, volunteer, etc

it is a small field, one of your best chances of getting in is who you know, or who your preceptor(s) know. but there are always the few with amazing boards, letters, personality, grades, honored everything since early childhood including potty training, travel to 3rd world countries in their spare time to save lives...those are the "superstars" (of course this is slightly sarcastic...but you get the point).

1) do well on the USMLE
2) do well in your clerkships
3) connect in your local area, program or not...maybe just surgeons in your
hospital (for experience, letters etc)
4) rotate local if possible and away

then whatever else you can bring to the table that makes you special; research, volunteer, etc
Ok, I thought she meant people like britney spears would get in regardless of usmle but now i get :smuggrin: