need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucbdancn00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all..

so i'm getting mroe and more set on plastics as a career and need some advice.
as a quick preface: i'm a 230+, lots of high passes during 3rd year, lots of extra curriculars, couple of abstracts..

anyways...i'm wondering if it is worth it to consider doing a year off to do plastics research. I have heard mixed things about the importance of research in this field, and am not sure if it would be worth it. The surg advisor at my school said it wasn't really a good use of time, and other students have said it's very important to have significant plastics research experience.

I am trying to figure out if it is feasible for me to get into an integrated/combined program in california....is a year off of research critical? would solid audition rotations be a better use of time?

any advice you can share would be awesome.

peace

ucb

Members don't see this ad.

I struggled with the same thing and got the same advice -- it's not a good use of time. After being on the interview trail at lots of top programs, including at least 3 of the top 4 programs (at least the most commonly named top programs), I think it was good advice. While programs like to see research, a year off is not necessary. Plastics in most places is very hands on, and plastic surgeons pride themselves in being clinical surgeons. Although they value research and innovation greatly, ultimately they want to train surgeons.

My advice would be to do some solid audition rotations, get some good letters, and then apply without taking a year off. If things don't work out, you can consider your options, one of which is to take a year off for research.

My impression is that most programs were much more impressed by other things, especially personality (not that you're the life of the party, but that you will be a great person to have on their team). Only a very few programs may be exceptions. The only one I can think of is Harvard, which I believe has a history of taking people from their own labs who have "paid their dues." I only know that secondhand though.

pix

pixies said:
I struggled with the same thing and got the same advice -- it's not a good use of time. After being on the interview trail at lots of top programs, including at least 3 of the top 4 programs (at least the most commonly named top programs), I think it was good advice. While programs like to see research, a year off is not necessary. Plastics in most places is very hands on, and plastic surgeons pride themselves in being clinical surgeons. Although they value research and innovation greatly, ultimately they want to train surgeons.

My advice would be to do some solid audition rotations, get some good letters, and then apply without taking a year off. If things don't work out, you can consider your options, one of which is to take a year off for research.

My impression is that most programs were much more impressed by other things, especially personality (not that you're the life of the party, but that you will be a great person to have on their team). Only a very few programs may be exceptions. The only one I can think of is Harvard, which I believe has a history of taking people from their own labs who have "paid their dues." I only know that secondhand though.

pix

pix,

thanks for some great words of advice; definitely some things to consider. What are your thoughts are my stats and such.....do you think (in comparison to yourself and others you have met on the trail) that i've got a good shot?

ucb

Members don't see this ad :)
are you going to be AOA?

its important.

program directors comment on it all the time, if you have it.

xTNS

ucbdancn00 said:
do you think (in comparison to yourself and others you have met on the trail) that i've got a good shot?

You've got a fine shot. Just do the rotations, get the letters, etc etc etc blah blah blah. The AOA comment from Navy is jostling (I think). AOA never means as much as anyone thinks it does. Sure, PD's may comment on it, but that doesn't mean it's actually taken into terrible much consideration when the final lists are made, imho

navysurgeon said:
are you going to be AOA?

its important.

program directors comment on it all the time, if you have it.

xTNS

not positive if i will be AOA...

ucb

ucbdancn00 said:
not positive if i will be AOA...

ucb

Agree with afreakforjc - that AOA comment is bullsh*t and uncalled for. Just look at the profile of people offered interviews at places like Baylor, UW, etc on the old plastics2002 site and you will see plenty of non-AOAers offered interviews and plenty of +AOAers rejected. Just be confident in yourself and your abilities, while not appearing conceited, and you'll do well.

P.S. Best of luck to all my friends who are a mere 49hrs from certifying our rank lists and leaving our fates in the hands of "The Match".

AOA is important. uncalled for, my ass.

its not a bull**** comment.

i've been through the interview process (twice, for gen surg and plastics) and in both interviews, AOA status was commented on.

diminish AOA at your peril.

man up and get it.

xTNS

anyway, who the **** cares . good luck to you guys that are applying to plastics. its a great field, and i look forward to meeting you, and advancing our field.

navysurgeon said:
AOA is important. uncalled for, my ass.

its not a bull**** comment.

i've been through the interview process (twice, for gen surg and plastics) and in both interviews, AOA status was commented on.

diminish AOA at your peril.

man up and get it.

xTNS

AOA is important in that it is another hurdle you have jumped, which will keep you in the running for interviews and will get you more than if you had the exact same app w/o it. Just the truth. Is it necessary to successfully match, no.

so, i talked to the surg advisor at our school....and it seems that many people double apply to both GS and PRS (for those who want to do plastics)....

given the match rates for PRS, i'm concerned about ending up in GS....it's hard for met to make a more objective decision given that I haven't even had surgery yet. I don't know if I could personally handle the stress that accompanies the GS environment esp if I end up in a place that I'm not fond of...

I'm ready to match anywhere for plastics, but i'm worried that i'm more likely to match in GS. Any thoughts to allay this fear/concern? I'm just at that position where i'm super-duper confused as to what the hell to do with my life...

Any advice would be helpful...

ucb

PS: thanks for the help so far....

ucbdancn00 said:
so, i talked to the surg advisor at our school....and it seems that many people double apply to both GS and PRS (for those who want to do plastics)....

given the match rates for PRS, i'm concerned about ending up in GS....it's hard for met to make a more objective decision given that I haven't even had surgery yet. I don't know if I could personally handle the stress that accompanies the GS environment esp if I end up in a place that I'm not fond of...

I'm ready to match anywhere for plastics, but i'm worried that i'm more likely to match in GS. Any thoughts to allay this fear/concern? I'm just at that position where i'm super-duper confused as to what the hell to do with my life...

Any advice would be helpful...

ucb

PS: thanks for the help so far....

First, relax and take a deep breath. You are more than a year from the Match and the cards have not been laid out yet. I would follow your advisor's advice and double apply to a select # of GS programs (10-15, i.e. Vanderbilt, Emory, Cleveland Clinic, Miami) that can provide strong exposure to the plastics field, a history of securing plastic fellowships, and a good set of connections in the plastics world.

That being said, who knows what your interview yield may be next year. You may apply next year and find out that you have 15-20 plastics interviews and do not even need to go to the GS ones. Alternatively, you may have only 5 plastics interviews and feel grateful for double-applying and having 10 strong GS interviews.

Bottom line: plan for the worst but take solace in knowing that if your interest and drive are that strong and if you have the right support from your attendings, you'll set yourself up for a career in plastics (whether as an integrated or fellowship-trained surgeon).

P.S. PM me if you have any more q's