**Need some advice pls!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddahbelly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i just got my mcat score back and didn't do well at all.. my score was 25Q and the breakdown: PS - 9, VR - 6 and BS - 10.. im a florida resident with a cGPA of 3.80 and sGPA ~ 3.68, majored in Biochemistry and just graduated. I have a lot of clinical volunteering and shadowing, but not so heavy on the research (approx 4 months).. i studied abroad, tutored orgo and was rly involved in my honors society. my question to you is which schools at this point should i consider applying to? im already applying to all 6 florida medical schools. any advice is well needed and appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a msar and check for schools who don't screen out by scores. Your verbal score is likely to destroy your chances majorly for most MD schools. Apply broadly to DO schools to have a high chances at going to medical school.
So consider doing a Aacomas application apply to NSU, and go to the DO section and look for other DO schools to apply to. Consider aiming for adding around 7-10 DO schools.

thanks for your input serenade!

if anyone else has anymore advice, i would be really grateful. thank you..

Members don't see this ad :)
if i retake the mcat in mid-august, would i still have a shot of getting in somewhere this cycle? also, how else would you guys recommend i restudy for this beast of a test? i took the kaplan course, studied all their material.. took and reviewed 5 kaplan FLTs, and also took 4 aamc FLTs.. any advice would be much help, thanks!

Yea, I agree with the post above...your verbal score will kill your chances @ a lot of schools, but in my opinion you do still have a chance @ others. Definitely apply to the Florida schools..taking it in August will still keep you in the running for Fall '11. You'll have a better chance @ DO schools if that's what you want. As for studying, take all the AAMC exams...why only 4? You want as much practice as possible. I took Kaplan, they're not bad.

Lastly, if you do retake, try not to get a lower score in any of the other sections...keep them where they are or increase them.

Good Luck!!!

Your verbal score makes an allopathic acceptance highly unlikely. I've read that those with a 6 have been known to get a DO acceptance, but probably not at the more selective schools. You would be well advised to retake the test, but not before you repeatly score higher on multiple practice tests. You can get advice on a study strategy in the MCAT Discussions forum.

You are going to have to retake your MCAT. Make sure you really know why the first time didn't go as well.