Need opinions on what I should do with the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT next week and I'm not feeling that confident. I've been taking practice tests and have been scoring in the low 20's. I've already decided I'll only be applying to Caribbean schools by the way. Should I take the test anyways and get a score? Or should I void and wait until January 2015 to take the MCAT? If I study for the January 2015 test I'll also have to balance it out with Fall classes + school... I'm afraid of burning out/forgetting material... thanks everyone

Practice tests were a pretty good indicator in my experience. If you're not confident about your score, I would absolutely defer it until you are. The Big 4 operate on rolling admissions so you will not be losing much time if you choose to do that, but either way you will be more prepared and score higher, which is better in the long run. As for burn out, there's not much you can do except be consistently diligent in your studies without overdoing it. A big part of getting through basic sciences is pushing yourself to do more with less, so this is good practice. Just stay consistent, study a little bit each day, and take practice exams every 2-3 weeks until you're scoring where you want. Don't be afraid to take a day or weekend off, and make sure you have daily activities that don't involve studying. Forgetting things isn't the end of the world, it's how our brains learn. You have to forget to remember. But when you recognize that you've forgotten something, don't put it off -- go look it up! Also, study smart. Don't rehash things that you know. This is soooo easy to do, because it feels 'safe' and makes you feel smart. Resist! Pick the things you understand the least and spend the most time with them. I know that sounds obvious, but I see people doing this all the time when they study.

Oh also -- why wait until January? I thought there were tons of MCAT testing dates now, like several each month. Are there none in your area? If you only need a few weeks to hammer home a few key concepts, I wouldn't wait until January if you can help it!

Best of luck. You got this!

Yeah I think I'll go ahead and take the test then void. Then during the school year whenever I have time I'll study and maintain whatever I learned from this summer.

I'm planning to wait until January for the 2nd time I take the MCAT so I can use December (winter break) for more study time. Also, since that's when they'll be administering the last old MCAT test.

One more question!!! Do you guys think I have enough time from this point on until January to get a decent score on the MCAT?? I'm really worried about school work getting in the way of this test...

Yes you definitely have enough calendar time. As to whether you have enough actual time to study on top of your coursework and any other obligations, well, only you know the answer to that question.