ACGME+AOA, Islander Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.... island students.

whats up.

It's nice to get to talk to you guys over here. Sorry if this seems a little awkward, but I have a long history of being public enemy #1 with the island students (Well really, the schools). Maybe some of you know me, but most of you dont (its better that way) and so I generally try to avoid coming on here so I dont get more vaguely aggressive letters with DeVry letterhead. But I have an honest question that I want the caribbean student opinion on.

The ACGME and the AOA are more or less merging their residency spots together. And while as of right now there is absolutely zero integration of MD students into AOA residencies and there is zero groundwork laid for changing that.... it is also assumed that having the groundwork laid out by 2015 or within a few years of that is a foregone conclusion and only a matter of figuring out how.

My question to you all is that I have read through all of the documentation and statements released. Also while talking to various PDs, I have heard a comment very similar to the thought that goes through my own head. "This could be very good for the island students EXCEPT that they are conspicuously not mentioned at all in it".

And I say conspiciously because the impact on foreign born, foreign trained physicians is discussed at length. As is the impact on european physicians who want to cross the pond. Foreign physicians (practicing ones) have their own addressed commentary on some of the original agreed upon points. But there is absolutely zero mention of the island students despite the decent amount of detail given to various other "non-US-mainland" resident sources. How do you guys read into that? and how do you feel about the merger in general? Does it strike you guys as good or bad? Do you think the shocking lack of any mention is indicative of being sort of pushed to the side, or is it just more coincidental?

Members don't see this ad.