Need more info about Canadian Licensing examinations ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all , i am a Canadian green card holder currently studying in the middle east in a university which is accredited by the FAIMER website and all , and it the system here is a 6-year system and i am currently in my 5th year .

I am willing to go to Canada after i finish since i am aiming at getting a surgery position at a respected institute in Ottawa, Vancouver or Montreal.

I have a couple of questions :

1. What is the procedure for getting a Canadian License , i know there's an mccee and mccq1 and mccqe2 but i don't know the chronological order of these exams ..... so can i like take MCCEE and get a position only according to that and after am hired i take MCCQE or what? So basically i need to know how long the process takes from the first exam till i am hired ?

2. Being a Canadian IMG , what are my chances of getting a Surgery residency in any of the above-mentioned areas ?

3. What are the recommended books for studying for the exams and is it any harder that USMLE Step 1 or 2

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all , i am a Canadian green card holder currently studying in the middle east in a university which is accredited by the FAIMER website and all , and it the system here is a 6-year system and i am currently in my 5th year .

I am willing to go to Canada after i finish since i am aiming at getting a surgery position at a respected institute in Ottawa, Vancouver or Montreal.

I have a couple of questions :

1. What is the procedure for getting a Canadian License , i know there's an mccee and mccq1 and mccqe2 but i don't know the chronological order of these exams ..... so can i like take MCCEE and get a position only according to that and after am hired i take MCCQE or what? So basically i need to know how long the process takes from the first exam till i am hired ?

2. Being a Canadian IMG , what are my chances of getting a Surgery residency in any of the above-mentioned areas ?

3. What are the recommended books for studying for the exams and is it any harder that USMLE Step 1 or 2

all licensing authorities can be found here where you can find the requirments to get a licence to practice medicine in Canada.
www.fmrac.ca

to get a surgery training position you have to go through carms
www.carms.ca

what do you mean by a canadian green card? the term green card refers to resident status in the U.S. if you mean you have a Permanent Resident Card, you need to fulfil the residency status to keep it - two years of five living in Canada. Contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada for information.

The harsh reality is that - as an IMG - your chances of getting into any surgical residency training program in Canada are extremely poor. Your chances of getting into a non-surgical residency training program are only slightly better. My suggestion is that if you want to have any reasonable hope of practicing as a physician in Canada, you should keep all your options open and be willing to accept a position in the training program of any specialty you are even remotely interested in studying and practicing.