This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linezolit

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m a 2020 grad and currently work as a per diem pharmacist for an independent for about 8 months now. My current pay is $45/hr with no benefits and my hours are inconsistent. I average about 27 hrs a week (can be more or less). I like working there because it’s relaxed and we’re off weekends and holidays.
I was recently offered a full time salary position with WAGS that’s the same pay but guaranteed 64 hrs per 2 weeks and with full benefits. I’ve seen a lot of people saying how awful it is to work there but I haven’t had much luck with other jobs when I’ve applied. You think I should stay at the independent until something better comes along or take WAGS for now since it’s more consistent?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have to start somewhere...unless you are making enough at the independent to pay for your own health insurance and max out your retirement accounts, with money left over for living expenses....take the WAGS job. Your employer should understand and leave on a good note. Even after taking the WAGS offer, always keep your eyes open...something else could open up. Just make sure your hours are guarenteed. If you are far enough away you could still do prn at the independent. But if near by WAGS will have a no compete clause.

Take the hit...run with WAGS..save money like a miser for a year or two to give breathing room...(If you have a wife plus kids..def wags)...Ya made a fateful decision..now ya gotta squeeze what you can out of it for at least a while...I been flogging pillz for many moons and it has never gotten better (yesterday was nine straight hours of low level misery) except for the pay and ability to jump ship as needed..good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to start somewhere...unless you are making enough at the independent to pay for your own health insurance and max out your retirement accounts, with money left over for living expenses....take the WAGS job. Your employer should understand and leave on a good note. Even after taking the WAGS offer, always keep your eyes open...something else could open up. Just make sure your hours are guarenteed. If you are far enough away you could still do prn at the independent. But if near by WAGS will have a no compete clause.
Well I ultimately wanna get out of retail and pursue industry. I am fortunate enough to be able to live at home with family for now so rent isn’t an issue. I currently have health insurance through the marketplace and investing extra money into stocks right now until I find more of what I’m looking for. It’s not bad at the independent it’s just, I’m not offered benefits

Take the hit...run with WAGS..save money like a miser for a year or two to give breathing room...(If you have a wife plus kids..def wags)...Ya made a fateful decision..now ya gotta squeeze what you can out of it for at least a while...I been flogging pillz for many moons and it has never gotten better (yesterday was nine straight hours of low level misery) except for the pay and ability to jump ship as needed..good luck.
I’m single and currently living at home with family, so living expenses aren’t an issue right now and I wanna pursue industry/medical writer positions. That’s why I’m hesitant on joining WAGS. I used to be an intern for a large chain while in pharmacy school but COVID messed it all up

I’m single and currently living at home with family, so living expenses aren’t an issue right now and I wanna pursue industry/medical writer positions. That’s why I’m hesitant on joining WAGS. I used to be an intern for a large chain while in pharmacy school but COVID messed it all up

then pursue it

if you want to go down that path, go for it as soon as possible, the longer you are out of school (and working as a retail RPh) the harder a job like that will be to get. I do know a few that made that jump, but it is a difficult one. Some things to build up your CV is to become a reviewer for medical jornals, it is zero pay, but looks good and will help you have something to set you apart from every other person slinging pills at the corner.

if you want to go down that path, go for it as soon as possible, the longer you are out of school (and working as a retail RPh) the harder a job like that will be to get. I do know a few that made that jump, but it is a difficult one. Some things to build up your CV is to become a reviewer for medical jornals, it is zero pay, but looks good and will help you have something to set you apart from every other person slinging pills at the corner.
I actually was just interviewing for a company for that role and I was hoping to get it but I think my final interview fell short as I did not get the position. I’m not giving up on it and I may apply to that company again in a few months

Hey everyone. I’m a 2020 grad and currently work as a per diem pharmacist for an independent for about 8 months now. My current pay is $45/hr with no benefits and my hours are inconsistent. I average about 27 hrs a week (can be more or less). I like working there because it’s relaxed and we’re off weekends and holidays.
I was recently offered a full time salary position with WAGS that’s the same pay but guaranteed 64 hrs per 2 weeks and with full benefits. I’ve seen a lot of people saying how awful it is to work there but I haven’t had much luck with other jobs when I’ve applied. You think I should stay at the independent until something better comes along or take WAGS for now since it’s more consistent?
WG is a dead end job (no raises,trash bonus,sweatshop). In your case do not even bother. If I was you I would enjoy the current gig, travel and relax while keep apply for a higher pay and hours guarantee at cvs,rad, wmt, grocer, etc. In my metro area (WG fairly busy) you'd just be busting your butt for medical and 5 extra hours a week.

Food for thought, the longer you continue to work at your "relaxed" job with part-time hours and zero benefits means that is more time you are not being conditioned to the adversities of the market place that currently serve as standard for most retail pharmacists. Unless you have some sort of distinguishing skill or educational advantage, that your peers don't have, you will be expected to perform to the standard. The longer you get from graduation to the point of meeting that standard the more difficult it will be.

how do you become a reviewer for a medical journal?

how do you become a reviewer for a medical journal?
You can write them and ask. I got started because I submitted studies for Publication and when you do that you mean hey ask you to set up a profile with certain key words and that trigger articles to be sent to you.

Can you do both? Wag is 32 and pick up at per diem place? 2 shifts q week and you're at 48 hours.