need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craniumhead

Reaction score
So, I am wanting to apply to MD and DO but would prefer an MD. I have always wanted to be a physician but am scared about gpa etc. I really need help creating a list of MD and even DO schools that I can apply to this cycle.

I have a 3.5 overall and 3.27 science I have had all A's and A-'s in upper level science classes for last three semesters straight with one B+.
I got 504 on first MCAT (125/124/128/127) and just took second but don't know score (I'm afraid it may be worse but who knows right?) I scored well on bio/biochem and psych/soc on first test

I've shadowed a rheumatologist for a total of 15 hours and a double board physician for pediatrics and internal medicine for 16 hours

I have been doing research at my school for 2 and a half years with probably around 300 hours of experience and leading a project that I hope to have published by end of this year or sometime next year.

I've done volunteering as a Spanish interpreter at a local clinic and will do some more at another to hopefully have 50+ hours between the two.

I also have volunteered in a community center to teach members of latino community how to speak english for a total of maybe 30-50 hours?

I have 4 letters of recommendation that I think will be strong: 1 from an MD, research professor, Spanish professor, and a professor I worked for.

I worked for 1.5 years as a TA where I was the teacher of the class.

I am a California resident but am undergraduate in Utah. I'm a latino/white male as well with a wife and child but I am 23 years of age.

Also, is it bad to mention to schools if my father is a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, I am wanting to apply to MD and DO but would prefer an MD. I have always wanted to be a physician but am scared about gpa etc. I really need help creating a list of MD and even DO schools that I can apply to this cycle.

I have a 3.5 overall and 3.27 science I have had all A's and A-'s in upper level science classes for last three semesters straight with one B+.
I got 504 on first MCAT (125/124/128/127) and just took second but don't know score (I'm afraid it may be worse but who knows right?) I scored well on bio/biochem and psych/soc on first test

I've shadowed a rheumatologist for a total of 15 hours and a double board physician for pediatrics and internal medicine for 16 hours

I have been doing research at my school for 2 and a half years with probably around 300 hours of experience and leading a project that I hope to have published by end of this year or sometime next year.

I've done volunteering as a Spanish interpreter at a local clinic and will do some more at another to hopefully have 50+ hours between the two.

I also have volunteered in a community center to teach members of latino community how to speak english for a total of maybe 30-50 hours?

I have 4 letters of recommendation that I think will be strong: 1 from an MD, research professor, Spanish professor, and a professor I worked for.

I worked for 1.5 years as a TA where I was the teacher of the class.

I am a California resident but am undergraduate in Utah. I'm a latino/white male as well with a wife and child but I am 23 years of age.

Also, is it bad to mention to schools if my father is a physician?

Don't limit yourself based on your stats. Sure, it's good to stay realistic, but apply to a few reach schools too because you just never know.

Prior to residency, I was one of the admissions chairs at my med school. I've seen people with stellar stats who would have been a horrible fit and also those with not-so-great scores who would've been a welcome presence in our school culture.

If you have specific questions, feel free to message me.

Post your new MCAT score here when available and we can advise you on which schools to apply to. Which Latino group do you belong to ? Are you fluent in Spanish ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't limit yourself based on your stats. Sure, it's good to stay realistic, but apply to a few reach schools too because you just never know.

Prior to residency, I was one of the admissions chairs at my med school. I've seen people with stellar stats who would have been a horrible fit and also those with not-so-great scores who would've been a welcome presence in our school culture.

If you have specific questions, feel free to message me.

I am mexican, and I am fluent in spanish. My current list of MD schools of where to apply are
UC Davis
Case Western
Vanderbilt
University of Missouri
University of minnesota
but I need to apply to some more schools that would be lower tier etc. Any suggestions? I want to submit my application on June 1 which is around 3 weeks before I'd know the score on my second MCAT.

Post your new MCAT score here when available and we can advise you on which schools to apply to. Which Latino group do you belong to ? Are you fluent in Spanish ?
I won't know my new MCAT for another few weeks and would like to apply on June 1. Do you have any suggestions for MD and DO schools I should consider applying to with my current stats?

Last edited:
You are not anywhere near competitive for Case Western or Vanderbilt with your stats and Missouri accepts very few non residents with your stats. I suggest all these schools with your current stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA-Drew
Loma Linda
California University (new school)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

You are not anywhere near competitive for Case Western or Vanderbilt with your stats and Missouri accepts very few non residents with your stats. I suggest all these schools with your current stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA-Drew
Loma Linda
California University (new school)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

Oh ok thank you so much for the advice, any more suggestions for DO school? I found out that most of my volunteering I was going to do this next week i going to be what I complete throughout the summer probably. how do I go about updating that type of information with medical schools?

You are competitive for all DO schools. In the west you have these schools:
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
RVU-COM (both schools)
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN U

You are competitive for all DO schools. In the west you have these schools:
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
RVU-COM (both schools)
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN U
I really appreciate all of your help with this. what do you think my chances are with MD? Do you think they're pretty good to at least get one?