Need help with my SAT study program...

amd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 1780 the last time I took it. My test is on June 6th.
How can I improve my score on critical reading as quickly as possible?
I have kaplan's SAT Program, Princeton's Review Book, Offical SAT Study Guide, some sat strategies printed off by a sat tutor, and a online sat study course.

I want to get over 1800 and I'll be happy; 1900 would be great :).

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh, critical reading is the hardest. I scored around you first time as well. 2nd time with not too much prep, i was able to increase about 180 points...

Most likely this time you will increase. To be honest critical reading takes time..and its not that easy if your not great at it. My trick was...since my math score was already very high, i did a lot of vocab to do well on that portion of CR, and i did a lot of grammar for writing, that way i was able to balance my low CR with high M and W

To repeat the above post, the writing and critical reading sections aren't really easily taught. It's almost something that you're innately good at. Practice reading and summarizing short passages (read difficult online articles, for example). It's probably a little too late to try and study a large catalogue of words, so I'm not sure if that would reap rewards or not.

Just read, read, and read some more, and do as many critical reading passages as you can. That's probably the most effective way to increase your verbal score.

Also you can try simple strategies, like reading the questions first, jotting down summaries on the side lines. So you can quickly refer back. Also...if your the type of person...that takes time to get reading passages right but you can nail every question. Than i advise you do that...forget about the time and finishing. If you can get all questions right leaving atleast 1 whole passage blank, im pretty sure you can get atleast 600.

I know a lot of people might not agree with this method, but if you rush think about how many you can possibly get wrong, which only deducts from your score. Leaving things blank is not a bad idea as long as its not in huge portions.