How long did you study for the SAT?

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently a senior and am planning to retake the SAT in October.

I got a low score my first try (not going to say what it was) and will retake it again in October.

It seems that I did significantly better in the reading portion, and not so good in the math.

My question, how long did you study for the SAT? What other resources besides the book did you use? How many hours did you study? Hope you all can help!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't. Looking back now I would've scored a lot higher if I did.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe try using the Princeton review study course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say just buy a single SAT book and work through it. I took the ACT and did not study. Unless you are gunning for top 20 colleges I would say just get high enough to get scholarships. For example at my school there is a bracket for scholarships which tops out.

I had taken a SAT prep course, reviewed books on my own, took it two times, and only scored slightly above average with a 100 point bump the second time I took it (old 600-2400 style). It was at that point when I realized that it's an aptitude/IQ test and the ultimate scam. I later took the ACT—a test that measures how much you retained from school + efficiency—with minimal studying and scored a 28/29. So in the end it worked out for me.

Look up a few practice questions - it's actually a pretty easy and piss ant test. I scored a 27 on mine without studying at all but had I done so for a couple weeks and had a little more maturity I probably could have gotten a 33+. Hindsight...
well you are thinking of ACT but

You can't exactly "study" for the SATs. Take a few prep courses. My high school offered a free one and I took an additional one. My advice is, just do as many practice problems as you can and TIME yourself.

Myself personally, I didn't take the SAT very seriously and received a score of 1750 on the old scoring system. While my reading and writing were better than my math, I knew what I had to work on. I probably spent a few hours going over basic algebraic rules and practice problems to refresh my memory. The SAT came around again during the Spring semester and I ended up improving my math portion to achieve an overall score of 1810. I used my high school teachers as resources as they were able to provide packets of math refreshers. Also a few youtube videos to provide some thorough explanation of math concepts on my own time.
I also took the math portion of previous years SAT and just completed those the best I can. I believe math is probably the easiest to improve on rather than reading and writing. Nonetheless, good luck to you!

I know some people in here are saying it's not worth studying, but you should absolutely dedicate time to preparing for the SAT! SAT/ACT scores are still required by many undergraduate programs, and top of that, many undergraduate programs still use your scores as a determinant as to whether you would thrive in their academic environment. Nothing beats practice. Try to get your hands on as many practice questions as you can. Once you have answered roughly 100 practice questions, go through them. Find out what you got wrong. See if there are any consistencies in a lapse of knowledge. Do you need to brush up on some math foundations? Are you struggling with verbal? Jot down the areas where you are struggling, then either study that material on your own or approach your college advisor and ask her/him to help you form a plan.

Zero. So my score was atrocious lol. I'm surprised I even got into college.

I took a class but didn’t do the homework for the class and didn’t study outside of the class.

I made about a 2k on the old exam.

Hello everyone, I am currently a senior and am planning to retake the SAT in October.

I got a low score my first try (not going to say what it was) and will retake it again in October.

It seems that I did significantly better in the reading portion, and not so good in the math.

My question, how long did you study for the SAT? What other resources besides the book did you use? How many hours did you study? Hope you all can help!
0 hours. my SAT not so good, my ACT score was great