1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

How long did you study for the SAT?

Discussion in 'Exam HQ' started by CrazyboyMD, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. CrazyboyMD

CrazyboyMD

Apr 22, 2017
    Hello everyone, I am currently a senior and am planning to retake the SAT in October.

I got a low score my first try (not going to say what it was) and will retake it again in October.

It seems that I did significantly better in the reading portion, and not so good in the math.

My question, how long did you study for the SAT? What other resources besides the book did you use? How many hours did you study? Hope you all can help!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. phantomyinyang

phantomyinyang

Dec 2, 2016
    I didn't. Looking back now I would've scored a lot higher if I did.

TUforMD and frosted2 like this.
  4. FirmResolve1!

FirmResolve1!

Mar 10, 2017
    Maybe try using the Princeton review study course.

5. Gilakend

Gilakend 5+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Michigan
    hSDN Alumni
    I would say just buy a single SAT book and work through it. I took the ACT and did not study. Unless you are gunning for top 20 colleges I would say just get high enough to get scholarships. For example at my school there is a bracket for scholarships which tops out.

6. Kurk

Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    I had taken a SAT prep course, reviewed books on my own, took it two times, and only scored slightly above average with a 100 point bump the second time I took it (old 600-2400 style). It was at that point when I realized that it's an aptitude/IQ test and the ultimate scam. I later took the ACT—a test that measures how much you retained from school + efficiency—with minimal studying and scored a 28/29. So in the end it worked out for me.