Need help with career decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in pharm sales for couple years now, and am thinking of furthering my education, being on the patient care side of things. I love the lifestyle I have now, and the money isn't bad. I don't want to be at the bottom of the barrel at my company much longer and I don't see moving up to marketing or management much suited for me either. I have been dealing with this for a while now...any help would be great.

After much consideration among medicine, dentistry, optometry, and other ancillary disciplines, I am leaning towards optometry. I like the fact that you can make good money, do good work, and have a life.

In medicine, many physicians are unhappy with the compensation compared to workload. Plus, you have long hours, are on call, and go through many years of schooling before you even begin working, especially if you specialize. And the residencies that allow a decent lifestyle (derm, radio, opth) are next to impossible to get into. Med school is no cakewalk either.

With dentistry, I feel I would be doing it just because you make a lot of money and have a decent lifestyle. Dentistry sounds interesting to learn, but not to practice. The "gross out" factor has been discussed before. I can't even stand the smell of dentist offices.

I would like to know from OD students if the field is exciting and what they are hearing about the job market while in school, and from practicing OD's how they feel about the profession.

So...anyone actually have input? I'm not looking for incessant bashing of the various fields but some honest input.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by samir
I am leaning towards optometry. I like the fact that you can make good money, do good work, and have a life.

With dentistry, I feel I would be doing it just because you make a lot of money and have a decent lifestyle.

What, and dentists don't "do good work"? Otherwise dentistry would seem to meet the criteria that led you to optometry.

He said very clearly that dentistry is too gross for him.

-Danielle

Members don't see this ad :)
call me perverse...but the smell and sound of high-pitched drill at a dental office always makes me tingle with excitement.

that is, unless i'm at the receiving end of the drill. :D

Originally posted by LestatZinnie
call me perverse...but the smell and sound of high-pitched drill at a dental office always makes me tingle with excitement.

I saw "Little Shop of Horrors" on Broadway a couple weeks ago -- if you haven't seen it, I think it's the musical for you. ;)

Originally posted by LestatZinnie

For the love of all that's holy, man--they're <em>handpieces</em>, not "drills"!!

;)

Originally posted by aphistis
For the love of all that's holy, man--they're <em>handpieces</em>, not "drills"!!

;)
"Handpieces"? I didn't realize that dentists' drills had been given a PC name! What's next, needles being called "injection control devices"? :laugh: