Optometry as a career..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleskaclarke

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering whether to pursue this as a career however I’m reading some very conflicting opinions which are leaving me very unsure. Some say it’s a saturated profession with very little day to day interest however others say it’s a relatively low stress career which still enables good patient contact and a relatively good work life balance. If there’s anyone on here that has relevant experience of a career in optometry I’d be really happy to hear from you. The most important things to me are being able to have a family life outside work and have a stable salary(not necessarily a high salary)and also to have good patient contact. Any opinion would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

What you described could be multiple different careers

I’m wondering whether to pursue this as a career however I’m reading some very conflicting opinions which are leaving me very unsure. Some say it’s a saturated profession with very little day to day interest however others say it’s a relatively low stress career which still enables good patient contact and a relatively good work life balance. If there’s anyone on here that has relevant experience of a career in optometry I’d be really happy to hear from you. The most important things to me are being able to have a family life outside work and have a stable salary(not necessarily a high salary)and also to have good patient contact. Any opinion would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shadow shadow shadow !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree- do shadow!

It's a great career but the return on investment seems increasingly lower as schools raise tuition every year.

Do not overlook the financial impact this decision will have on your life. Find out the cost of school and determine how much you can afford. Are you eligible for grants? Can your parents help you pay? How much debt will you have when you graduate?

The thought of a career that fits a desired lifestyle is a good first step but it is extremely short sighted. Fast forward several years.. if/when +/- half your take home income is dedicated to student loans, you'll realize pursuing optometry was way more than a lifestyle choice. You'll read that IBR is an option but this requires a commitment to debt for 20+ years. Think it through.. calculate.. budget carefully.. determine your priorities

Also explore your options! Consider a career as a PA, in nursing or healthcare administration

Keep in mind that people who are unhappy with their choices, whether it be the car they purchased or the career path they followed, are more likely to voice their negativity. I've been practicing optometry for a few years now, and even in cities, I've had zero trouble finding jobs. I make a nice hourly salary, and I do fill-in work at an office on Sundays where I get a high hourly bonus. So from a financial standpoint, I feel secure.

Furthermore, I enjoy working with my staff and getting to know patients. I'm someone who can skew toward the negative, unfortunately, but I have to say that choosing this field was a very good decision for me. I think a lot of it also has to do with personality. It's a very social job, which seems like it can burn certain people out, but I'm pretty outgoing and enjoy being around others, so it's a job that doesn't make me feel too tired at the end of the day.

I feel like it's a job where the work rarely comes home with me, so to speak. I'm able to spend a lot of nights after work doing various activities with my friends. The work can sometimes feel monotonous, but many jobs are the same way.

A lot of just comes down to personal preference in what you're looking to get from a career.

Reactions: 1 users
I love what I do and great pay! Definitely consider it and shadow an optometrist.

I saw your post on another thread. You're still in school, yes?
In school (patient care clinic/rotation) or out of school (working) I get to work with patients and love what I do. If you ever worked for an optometrist depending on the area you would know the pay is great. What's your point.

Last edited:
In school (patient care clinic/rotation) or out of school (working) I get to work with patients and love what I do. If you ever worked for an optometrist depending on the area you would know the pay is great. What's your point.

I'm clarifying that you're not out practicing yet. As you said, depending on the area, the pay can be great or can result in a low ROI.
I think it's good for prospective applicants to know that in highly populated areas, the pay may not be as great and rarely results in benefits of any sort if they are working in a private practice. However, if they are willing to work somewhere less populated and/or work for an institution/corporate, pay can be better.