Need help with Biostats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmrck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am biostatistically challenged, I can not grasp the concept of specificity vs sensitivity vs PPV vs NPV, and don't get me started with the different kinds of studies... I would like to know if anyone, ANYONE in SDN land has a simple, biostats for dummies, way of explaining these concepts. I take my test in 2.5 wks and I know these are gimmie points, and Lord know I need all the gimmie points I can get.
Thanks In Advance,
Jamrock

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am biostatistically challenged, I can not grasp the concept of specificity vs sensitivity vs PPV vs NPV, and don't get me started with the different kinds of studies... I would like to know if anyone, ANYONE in SDN land has a simple, biostats for dummies, way of explaining these concepts. I take my test in 2.5 wks and I know these are gimmie points, and Lord know I need all the gimmie points I can get.
Thanks In Advance,
Jamrock

Hey man, I hate biostats too. I suck at it big time. What saved me was the biostats section on CRUSH. U dont even have to understand the concepts. Crush has a table on it that u just gotta look at and all the equations that are important for step 2 like PPV, spec, sens, Odd ratio, AR, RR are on that table in a very simplified way so u can stare at it like for 15 minutes the day before the test. On test day just draw out that table w the equations as soon as u sit down, and then if u ever get a biostats q, u dont waste a second even thinking about the concept. Just look at the ABCD table and plug and chug the equation and get the right answer and spend your precious time on real questions.

Crush even simplifies all those studies u need to know. Forget UW, or First AID for easily learing biostats. Crush is the easiest way and u can do in very little time

later

Good Lookin' aka Thanks :D
oh BTW, I checked out your links at the bottom LMAO, :laugh:

Jamrock

Crikey, is biostats on step 2?? I thought I had rid myself of this during step 1 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to say my friend, it comes back:eek: But with lot's of questions, I am sure you will get through it too.

Jamrock

Crikey, is biostats on step 2?? I thought I had rid myself of this during step 1 :(

I took Step 2 CK yesterday...I hate biostats...I just memorized how to set up my 2X2 table and how to figure sensitivity/specificity/PPV/NPPV and that's it...I maybe had 5 total biostats questions...and I think those 4 things I memorized answered 3 or 4 of them...so don't sweat it too much

first aid + Secrets = DOMINATION OF BIOSTATS. Check out my other post on what books I used, but seriously - this combination was serious overkill!