Need help: J-1 visa and traveling home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smoothbrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm doing my residency here in the United States and I came with a J-1 visa from Europe. I started last year in July and I havent been able to go home to see my family yet. I am now in that situation where the visa stamp on my passport has expired and I need to see a embassy or consulate for renewal. It seems that the embassies aren't really working in Europe and most waiting times are more than 60 days (my work place only allows holidays for up to 2-3 weeks per year). I was wondering how to plan a holiday home as a J-1 visa holder. So far my residency program has not been helpful, I am asking here if you guys happen to know anyone who succeeded in returning home and coming back to the U.S. I was thinking about going to Mexico for a weekend trip for J-1 visa renewal but it appears they also closed their services for third nation people. I am now left in a situation where I literally am not able to see my family without sacrificing everything I worked for to get this far...

Thank you so much
Have a nice day

Members don't see this ad.

It might depend on the country you're from, but in most European countries you can request an emergency appointment for J1 renewal. A friend of mine just did this and got an appointment within two weeks from the day he requested it. You could ask for it while still in the US and then schedule your trip only after it's confirmed.
To do this, you first have to schedule a normal appointment (paying for the fees, etc), and then a button to request the emergency appointment should appear.
For Germany there's information here: Apply for a U.S. Visa | Apply for an Expedited Appointment - Germany (English)

Hope it helps!

Thank you so much Alina, this is amazing and I am happy to hear this.

Did your friend request any unique letters from his PD in order to succeed with this plan? Was your friend able to re-use the ECFMG letter of support to bypass Covid-19 travel ban? Is your friend from a Schengen zone country (Germany)?

I'd love to hear from more people about their experiences.

Last edited:
That is stressful. And frustrating that your program only gave you a J1 for a year. Talk to an immigration lawyer to see what options you have and whether there are ways to renew under specific circumstances without leaving. Eg could you file for another visa category (which may get denied) but buys you time until it is processed? Don’t know. Pay someone, don’t mess this up.

That is stressful. And frustrating that your program only gave you a J1 for a year. Talk to an immigration lawyer to see what options you have and whether there are ways to renew under specific circumstances without leaving. Eg could you file for another visa category (which may get denied) but buys you time until it is processed? Don’t know. Pay someone, don’t mess this up.
My J-1 status is valid for 4 years but the stamp in our passport only lasts 1 year so it means we need to renew it every year if we want to go home (we are unable to cross the border without it), that's where the issue comes from since almost all embassies are closed and it's so difficult to plan it logistically.

My friend is from Germany, and didn't need any specific letter to get the appointment.
I'd just contact the embassy/consulate in your home country and ask them about the process, but I've now heard from several Europeans renewing their J1s without any issues, so it's definitely possible at least in some countries.