Need Help Fast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KungPOWChicken

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering path as a profession. Today when speaking with a pathologist about the profession, he basically told me not to go into path due to the poor job market. He said most pathologists don't even find jobs after residency and need to do multiple fellowships to land jobs. Most end up doing something totally unrelated to pathology. Is he even remotely correct. This conflicts with other information I've found, but I don't think jobs are that plentiful either. He seems like a pessimist

Members don't see this ad.

"Need help fast"? What's the rush? You're still at the contemplation phase. You will hear a lot more during the course of your career decision-making process.

Have you tried the FAQ sticky at the top of the thread list?

Please consult yaah's sticky regarding information regarding pathology. he has a section specifically for your question under job market. lots of threads are linked there. hopefully you will find the answers you seek.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's Yaah? He's really good at replying to these posts! :)

The job market, at the present time, may be a little "tight", but I don't think it's dismal. Also, there are quite a few old timers who will be retiring in the next few years (according to some Pathologists that I've talked to). Surgical procedures will increase as the population gets older, too.

No one can say for sure what will happen down the road, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the world will always need good pathologists. If you feel pathology is for you, then do it!

You’re like a big bear, with claws and fangs, fangs man. Big f*n teeth, yeah man with f*n teeth on ya. She’s just like this little bunny who’s just kinda cowering in the corner. Shivering. Yeah man just kinda….. And you got these claws and you’re staring at these claws and your thinking to yourself with these claws, you’re thinkin now how am I supposed to kill this bunny, how am I supposed to kill this bunny, and your poking at it. Yeah you’re not hurting it, you’re just kinda gently batting the bunny around, you know what I mean. and the bunnies scared, Mike, the bunnies scared of you. And you got these f*ng claws man and these fangs man, and you’re looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and you’re thinking to yourself I don’t know what to do man, I don’t know how to kill the bunny with this you don’t know how to kill the bunny. Do you know what I mean?

LADoc00 said:
You’re like a big bear, with claws and fangs, fangs man. Big f*n teeth, yeah man with f*n teeth on ya. She’s just like this little bunny who’s just kinda cowering in the corner. Shivering. Yeah man just kinda….. And you got these claws and you’re staring at these claws and your thinking to yourself with these claws, you’re thinkin now how am I supposed to kill this bunny, how am I supposed to kill this bunny, and your poking at it. Yeah you’re not hurting it, you’re just kinda gently batting the bunny around, you know what I mean. and the bunnies scared, Mike, the bunnies scared of you. And you got these f*ng claws man and these fangs man, and you’re looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and you’re thinking to yourself I don’t know what to do man, I don’t know how to kill the bunny with this you don’t know how to kill the bunny. Do you know what I mean?
Dude! I love that movie!!!!!

:thumbup:

What the hell movie is that LOL :laugh:

Brian Pavlovitz said:
I need to watch more movies!
In fact, I'm gonna pop in that movie tonight. Haven't seen it in ages.

Sorry to throw off the thread KungPOWchicken (I like the name BTW).

You will always come across people in pathology who are disgruntled with the job market situation. That was a big hindrance to me settling on path back several years ago when I was a young M1. The job market may not be as good as in other fields. How do I know, I'm just going into pathology this summer. But I settled on path because given my interests, I felt that it was the best fit field for me. And this is something you will need to decide as you make a decision as to what residency you will pursue.

I believe right now there's supposed to be an average of 2 jobs for every graduate. Sounds decent to me.

Can this change... yes. Will it change... probably. Will it be for the better or worse... who knows. :sleep:

I just typed in the first sentence of that monologue into yahoo search and found out LOL. I'm not famililar with that movie (my knowledge of movies gets better say for those made after 97)... but seems like alot of people like it on amazon.com :D. But I'm pretty sure I saw a clip of that before. I'm geussing some drugs were involved in the scene for that monologue ;).

Need help fast? 6 days prior to ROL deadline, that's crying wolf! Here I thought it was an SOS for a ROL emergency and came rushing to aid. ;)

In short, do what you enjoy. Get plenty of experience in the field before you determine this. And ignore doomsday predictions on job markets.

Remember George Eliot: "Among all forms of mistake, prophecy is the most gratuitous."

Mrbojangles said:
I just typed in the first sentence of that monologue into yahoo search and found out LOL. I'm not famililar with that movie (my knowledge of movies gets better say for those made after 97)... but seems like alot of people like it on amazon.com :D. But I'm pretty sure I saw a clip of that before. I'm geussing some drugs were involved in the scene for that monologue ;).
I love that movie. There was quite some witty dialogue in that movie. I also recommend Clerks if you like witty dialogue.