SDN seems to be running a little faster!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't jinx it. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, perhaps people are just giving up so that is why. I am about to give up and go to bed. I mean, I like you Beary, but this is too much even for me.

yaah said:
Well, perhaps people are just giving up so that is why. I am about to give up and go to bed. I mean, I like you Beary, but this is too much even for me.

I understand yaah. :)

Actually it did seem faster there for a few minutes but now it is super slow again. We may as well just give up and go to bed. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it got slower as the day progressed.
And then I realized it was my clear-as-mud mind.

Oh wait, are you in on this as well? How nice. Let's hold hands and sing a song together.

deschutes said:
I thought it got slower as the day progressed.
And then I realized it was my clear-as-mud mind.

Oh wait, are you in on this as well? How nice. Let's hold hands and sing a song together.

Deschutes has lost her mind. It's okay; it's a happy place. Read Flowers for Algernon and you'll understand.

It's 4:24am in my part of the world, and the board seems to have recovered from its constipation.

I had given up as well. The couch was beckoning my hungover self anyways.

bananaface said:
I am using this as an opportunity to panhandle for donations in my forum. Come on yaah! Practice your panhandling skillz with me!

Well, I am not going to create a thread asking for donations. But any donations are always appreciated (although not by me, they have no bearing on me - it just helps the people who run the site). And people should consider it!

Besides, you get a cool arrow or smilie face under your name. :)

Doh, it's slow again. Wah.

yaah said:
Well, I am not going to create a thread asking for donations. But any donations are always appreciated (although not by me, they have no bearing on me - it just helps the people who run the site). And people should consider it!

Besides, you get a cool arrow or smilie face under your name. :)
As if you are no help. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but nothing happened. Maybe the shutdown is delayed. I should leave and come back later, but I can't.

stormjen said:
Yeah, but nothing happened. Maybe the shutdown is delayed. I should leave and come back later, but I can't.

This whole SDN thing is turning into a cruel joke. We're all addicted. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's so slow but we still can't stop, then they tell us they will take it away to induce panic, and then they don't. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

I may use this period of uncertainty to take care of life's necessities such as taking a shower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the way things are now you could probably submit a post, take a shower, and then come back just when it has finally been accepted.

beary said:
This whole SDN thing is turning into a cruel joke. We're all addicted. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's so slow but we still can't stop, then they tell us they will take it away to induce panic, and then they don't. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

I may use this period of uncertainty to take care of life's necessities such as taking a shower.
:laugh: :laugh:

deschutes said:
La la la laaaa.....~! *prances* Flowers for me! You and me! And etcetera and etcetera and etcetera...

Yippee! Flowers for everyone!

I think I am going to have spaghetti for dinner.

The number of posts about speed (or lack thereof) is inversely proportional to how fast the forums are actually running.

I tried to keep myself occupied.
As in, I tried (though not very hard) to study for Step 2 today.

But the urge to build a paper pile is a lot stronger - I keep casting glances around my room, mentally dividing items into "chuck" vs. "not chuck". Must be the nesting instinct that LADoc00 was talking about.

you mean etc its latin

DasN said:
you mean etc its latin
Indeed it is. "etc." is the abbreviation for "et cetera"

Main Entry: et·cet·era
Pronunciation: et-'se-t&-r&, -'se-tr& also it-, ÷ek-, ÷ik-
Function: noun
1 : a number of unspecified additional persons or things
2 plural : unspecified additional items : ODDS AND ENDS

and so on and so forth...

deschutes said:
Indeed it is. "etc." is the abbreviation for "et cetera"

Main Entry: et·cet·era
Pronunciation: et-'se-t&-r&, -'se-tr& also it-, ÷ek-, ÷ik-
Function: noun
1 : a number of unspecified additional persons or things
2 plural : unspecified additional items : ODDS AND ENDS

and so on and so forth...
Did you take Latin, too? I loved Latin, but I have forgotten almost all of it, unfortunately. Et cetera literally means "and the rest" - et means "and"; cetera means "the others/the rest" (neuter pleural - I forget which case)

Of course, my most used Latin abbreviation the past few years has been et al. - short for et alia (and the others)

Reminds me of my feeling on February 23, when match lists closed: alia iacta est!

geddy said:
Did you take Latin, too? I loved Latin, but I have forgotten almost all of it, unfortunately. Reminds me of my feeling on February 23, when match lists closed: alia iacta est!
I never took Latin. It was never available! I counted on med school to teach me Latin - alas, those days are long gone.

I did not know that the al. was short for alia.

However, I understand that Braccae tuae aperiuntur means "your fly is open" :)

deschutes said:
I never took Latin. It was never available! I counted on med school to teach me Latin - alas, those days are long gone.

I did not know that the al. was short for alia.

However, I understand that Braccae tuae aperiuntur means "your fly is open" :)
Don't forget - semper ubi sub ubi - always where under where. :)

deschutes said:
That saying does in fact refer to something other than underpants, no?
Not sure which phrase you mean - "semper ubi sub ubi" is a nonsense phrase that was funny to us Latin geeks - it literally means "always where under where".

"Alia iacta est" is what Julius Caesar said after he crossed the Rubicon, after the Senate had ordered him not to do so, in order to conquer Rome. It means "the die is cast"

deschutes said:
That's okay. I think I out-thank (thunk?) myself with that ubi phrase.

btw I finally realized where I've seen you before - my housemate's ex! :D ;) :p
I am your housemate's ex's uncle's cousin's father's former roomate. Or roommate, as the case may be.

geddy said:
I am your housemate's ex's uncle's cousin's father's former roomate. Or roommate, if you will.
Only one man would dare give me the raspberry....LONESTAR!

deschutes said:
That would make you at least 60 years old. Why are you doing residency again?
The voices command it.

One of my pet peeves is when people use "and etc" in a sentence. It's like saying, "And and the rest." People trying to sound smart but failing miserably.

yaah said:
One of my pet peeves is when people use "and etc" in a sentence. It's like saying, "And and the rest." People trying to sound smart but failing miserably.
Oh, that bugs me, too. Another pet peeve is when people use more than 3 dots in an ellipsis. Three periods indicate a pause in speech or a trailing thought. You can use 4 if it is a direct quotation and you are including a period at the end. But the use of more adds nothing...

geddy said:
Oh, that bugs me, too. Another pet peeve is when people use more than 3 dots in an ellipsis. Three periods indicate a pause in speech or a trailing thought. You can use 4 if it is a direct quotation and you are including a period at the end. But the use of more adds nothing...

Shouldn't you end that with nothing....?

yaah said:
Shouldn't you end that with nothing....?
:) I don't think so - the 4 dots are usually used within a direct quotation, where one sentence trails off and ends and then another begins. It is used to indicate that the quote after the ellipsis is part of another sentence. To be honest, I'm not sure about the casual use of ellipsis outside of quotes, but I know that the number of dots is frequently abused........ :rolleyes:

deschutes said:
I have seen two dots used in an ellipse.. That bugs me too.

But nothing bugs me like hearing people say "discuss about".
OK, here's another on - modifiers for "unique" like "Wow, what a unique gift" or "Wow, that's the most unique idea I've ever heard." Look, unique means one-of-a-kind. Something is either unique or it's not, period. Why don't you discuss about this and tell me what you think. :D

geddy said:
I thought it was 4 at the end no matter waht. You know, if you were telling a story cliffhanger style and all.

bananaface said:
I thought it was 4 at the end no matter waht. You know, if you were telling a story cliffhanger style and all.
Hmm - I think you and Yaah may be right. You should use probably use them like this "People on SDN PAthology forum are not always... correct in their use of ellipses. If geddy were more diligent in his grammar study, however, he would have known the proper usage of ellipses and not made a fool...." 3 within a sentence and 4 when trailing off at the end.

geddy said:
Hmm - I think you and Yaah may be right. You should use probably use them like this "People on SDN PAthology forum are not always... correct in their use of ellipses. If geddy were more diligent in his grammar study, however, he would have known the proper usage of ellipses and not made a fool...." 3 within a sentence and 4 when trailing off at the end.
It's ok. We're all fools, especially me. ;)

geddy said:
OK, here's another on - modifiers for "unique" like "Wow, what a unique gift" or "Wow, that's the most unique idea I've ever heard." Look, unique means one-of-a-kind. Something is either unique or it's not, period. Why don't you discuss about this and tell me what you think. :D

Things that bother me:

When people to refer to one person in the plural. As in, "The Jerry Rices of the world" or something like that.

When people substitute the word "learn" for the word "teach." As in, "He learned me how to dance."

When people use the term, "Baby doll."

yaah said:
Things that bother me:

When people to refer to one person in the plural. As in, "The Jerry Rices of the world" or something like that.

When people substitute the word "learn" for the word "teach." As in, "He learned me how to dance."

When people use the term, "Baby doll."
you are an irritable, angry person.