Need Guidance: Sudden New Policy from PT Company Deletes Accumulated Vacation Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Friscus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cliffs notes of situation

Woman is PT at SNF. Pregnant, due early February. Has worked all hours all year to save paid vacation for time with baby post-pregnancy. Has 5 weeks of vacation time. New sudden policy changing to new type of vacation system deletes current status. only allows 1 week to roll over, and a second week at half pay. Thus, lose 3 paid weeks of vacation, and half of the 4th. Could have used to vacation time throughout the year like others but saved it for pregnancy. Now, getting screwed, essentially punished for saving it.

Crushed, don't know what to do. Sudden change is taking away not only time with baby, but also thousands of dollars. Is this legal? Can they just yank the rug out from under you like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving this to PT forum.

Note, depending on the state this occurred in, this could be considered illegal wage theft - check with your state labor board and/or an employment attorney.

Thank you. I went to the Labor Law site for Ohio, and it says it can't enforce fringe benefits. It seems like a really crappy thing that's happened, but it might be legal.. just a really awful thing to do. But, I know nothing about this.

It might be too late, but I have seen companies do a buy-back of PTO when changing policy. In effect, they pay you 3 weeks worth of your PTO all at once instead. How much notice were you given of upcoming change? Not all states have policy that dictates how PTO is used/paid/saved/lost, so you may have no recourse at this time.

Also, this is a big red flag about how this company treats employees. I once worked for a company that made it really hard to schedule your PTO. When I found a new job, I discovered that my PTO would be lost when I quit, even if I gave plenty of notice. So I took 2 weeks off and started my new job without giving notice. If they had treated me fairly, I would not have done that.