need advise math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kriska83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need an advise! Im solving quantative section of Dr Collins and with each exam Im getting more and more frustrated! I can get only like 30 out of 52 questions right and completely running out of time! The more exams I solve, the less improvement I see! And I have A in all classes up to calculus 1! Should I just give it up and focus on chem and bio where Im getting like 40 out of 50 correct?

Members don't see this ad.

So I need an advise! Im solving quantative section of Dr Collins and with each exam Im getting more and more frustrated! I can get only like 30 out of 52 questions right and completely running out of time! The more exams I solve, the less improvement I see! And I have A in all classes up to calculus 1! Should I just give it up and focus on chem and bio where Im getting like 40 out of 50 correct?

kriska83, I think that it is great that you are asking questions regarding the PCAT math section. However, you keep creating new discussion threads asking the same questions.

In your previous discussion thread, the responding poster said that you need to follow the math strategies that Dr. Collins provided. If you do, you will ace the math section. If you don't, you will run out of time on the PCAT. You will not have any time to "think about" how to solve a problem. Follow the strategies given then practice the questions.

While it matters some what you made in your classes, you are taking a standardized test and you have to understand "how" to take the test. Strategies in the math section are the most important thing right now.

I do believe PCAT chemistry is heavily weighted--more than math and biology--IMHO. But these three will have the most impact on your overall score.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your frustration but giving up on an entire section such as Quant is not a good idea at all since it is one of an indications the AdCom looks at in your application. You need to learn the test taking strategies. You have a good foundation and knowledge with your As, but you need to work on the PCAT strategies. Don't fall into the trap of trying to do every question. I think most people run out of time on the Quant section unless you have a degree in math. Like I said in other post, hunt down those easy algebra, logarithmic, trig, and simple word problems. Leave those nasty statistic for later or pick an answer and move on. It is no use try to solve a problem you have no idea where to begin.

Reactions: 1 user