Need Help on PCAT Math and Reading!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abdul93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have taken the PCAT three times already and somehow Math and Reading seems to bring my composite score way down. Here my last score I got.
Bio-402
Chem-416
Reading-310
Math-398
Composite score: 29
I seriously need help on Math and Reading. For Math, It's just word problems only couple standout questions. Why study tips can you give me for that or even if you have previous notes that you could email me would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @Abdul93 - Math is definitely one of the harder parts of the PCAT because those pesky word problems take up so much time and make timing pretty tight on that section. What I usually tell people is to try to identify a problem type that's time-consuming, and guess and move on for 6-8 of those problems so you can spend most of your time on problems you can easily get right. (Always mark an answer though because there are no penalties for guessing!) For you, that problem type might be a certain type of word problem.

You can also improve on those problem types by practicing them. For example, you could even take a word problem like "Car A is traveling 40 mph in the west direction, Car B is traveling 50 miles in the east direction..." and change up the numbers so you can keep solving until you can answer that question type on your own fairly easily.

The biggest help for word problems is "translating" them into math expressions. For example, "Sarah is 4 times taller than 2 feet shorter than Jane's height" can be re-written as S = 4(J-2). Does that make sense? I can help come up with some more examples, but you'll notice that certain English words can be directly translated into math-speak (i.e., "is" becomes "=", "shorter than" becomes "-").

For Reading, is there anything in particular you'd like to improve? For me, the most helpful strategy has been to pause after each paragraph and see if I can identify the main point of that paragraph, and just think that to myself before moving on. The reason this is so important is because you will almost always be asked about the main purpose of the passage, and understanding main ideas will definitely help point you in the right direction for other questions. You can always go back for details (and you should when answering questions!) - and in fact, you can usually find "proof" in the passage for your answer if you know where to look. Also, if you're like me and sometimes find it hard to stay focused while reading, it can help to have "tasks" or "goals" in mind. While I'm reading the first paragraph, I'm thinking "hmm, what's the main idea here? what information here is just a bunch of detail that I can come back to later?"

For now, you might want to consider focusing on getting questions right while you do Reading practice, taking as much time as you need. Then later, as you start to see your score go up, you can focus on getting faster.

I hope this helps!