~ Need Advice ~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambition03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i graduated from college with a degree in psychology and took several science courses because I want to go to medical school. However, at the time, i lacked the self-discipline to focus which resulted in a low GPA. What are my options to improve my GPA?

I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

ambition03 said:
i graduated from college with a degree in psychology and took several science courses because I want to go to medical school. However, at the time, i lacked the self-discipline to focus which resulted in a low GPA. What are my options to improve my GPA?

There are a variety of postbacc programs available which allow you both to take the prerequisite sciences you haven't taken, and to retake those you have. If not a lot of time has passed, and the prerequisite grades weren't horrible, it is sometimes recommended to take upper level science classes rather than retake the same classes. If you are simply looking to boost your GPA, there are a lot of colleges where you can take additional classes without being enrolled in an official postbacc or degree program. Finally, you can pursue a masters or other degree which will allow you to boost your cum GPA. To best answer the question, I think people will need to know the following: (1) How low a GPA are we talking about? and (2) Did you just graduate recently? (i.e. is there a reason you think you have matured and your abilities and self discipline have changed since then).

ambition03 said:

i guess another thing that would be helpful, did you have one bad year in college that dragged down your cumulative GPA, but then you turned it around and brought your grades back up? i think a lot of people have similar stories, they go through the dreaded sophomore slump and then pull their grades back up.

i'm at columbia and what the advisors do is generally advise people on retaking classes on a case by case basis. when i started i hadn't taken calculus in 6 years but I had a A- overall in calculus so my advisor told me not to retake it. also, if you say get a C in physics an undergrad, they will most likely ask you to retake the class, even if physics is fresh in your mind to try and see if you improve.

also, people do take upper level courses to prove they can do the material and raise their science GPA, as you know, in pre-med classes, professors are trying to weed out students and everyone is pitted against one another for the top grade so the amount of effort you put into a class might not be reflected in the grade you actually get.