***NEED ADVICE***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butters Stotch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I hope this message finds you well and extremely grateful for taking the time out to help me out. I am currently in my gap year and sitting on two DO acceptances with no MDs yet. I am extremely interested in general surgery and I know going DO is an uphill battle but that has been the story of my life and up for the challenge. I need advice on what I should have accomplished/done by the end of each year of medical school so I can have a successful match come Match Day. Any advice in terms of grades/boards/research/extracurriculars/rotations/leadership/LORs is greatly appreciated. Also any advice on what I should be doing in my gap year before the start of medical school. Again thank you for your time and energy.

Members don't see this ad.

Good grades, good boards, research, and network. It's not all that complicated.

Reactions: 1 user
Since DO schools don’t offer research, would it be wise to take a gap year after step 1 for research? Thanks again for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, there is no need for a research year to do GS. Even at DO schools you can find research opps if you hunt around.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you asked/called your MD reject places to see what your deficiencies are? I would also look closely at the DO schools you got into for their match list and ties. That being said, usually students interested in one specialty (ie competitive) will change their minds many times. Understand that the implications of your current decision will plague you going forward in that if you happen to go DO then don't regret it because of the obvious constraints. If you think the only thing affecting your app is the MCAT, try to seek help and and see if you can do better (it is the easiest but most vague thing to fix but it is a sure shot to actually having a better cycle if all else looks fine). Shuffle through some residency forums and see what advice these people give to DO applicants (even those with top step scores). Most importantly in the end, compare the curriculum and schedule of your DO schools. Here are things you need to ask at this stage:

1. How often do you have breathing room between blocks?
2. What is the attrition rate...including students held back?
3. What sort of support services do you provide?
4. Is the place where you will stay actually reasonable and in an area you could moderately enjoy?
5. Is going to class mandatory? (you might realize early that sitting in class passively will waste more of your time than actually help)
6. Where are clinical rotations?
7. Visit the second look or contact students from years ahead to get the feel of how the school treats student opinions
8. What is the amount of time your school provides to study for step? >>>>>>most important
9. Is there any scholarly activity that a student can do INSIDE the school? I have noted that making ties outside through better institutes can be very hard and most faculty from outside prefer to select only their students or another similar university of their caliber (bias is real and being referred by a school admin can be a hit or miss)

I hope that this helps serve as a start. Everyone will encourage you to take the acceptance but I would tread very carefully because once you've put your foot in the quicksand you kind of only can go its path. I know a kid who didn't get into med school the first time but he spent 3 more years improving on the weaknesses the admin recommended they make to their app...long story short his opinion was the school was the sole reason he got so much recognition from residency interviews...went onto match a surgical subspecialty at a top program. Moral of the story is that decisions made in haste are not often the best, and those made with meticulous measure of goals can lead to a more vitalized career in the future. Either go all in because you have no choice or pull out if you think you might fit elsewhere---you may be tunnel visioned at the moment but truth is that even a mediocre MD student may trump a DO with much better stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you asked/called your MD reject places to see what your deficiencies are? I would also look closely at the DO schools you got into for their match list and ties. That being said, usually students interested in one specialty (ie competitive) will change their minds many times. Understand that the implications of your current decision will plague you going forward in that if you happen to go DO then don't regret it because of the obvious constraints. If you think the only thing affecting your app is the MCAT, try to seek help and and see if you can do better (it is the easiest but most vague thing to fix but it is a sure shot to actually having a better cycle if all else looks fine). Shuffle through some residency forums and see what advice these people give to DO applicants (even those with top step scores). Most importantly in the end, compare the curriculum and schedule of your DO schools. Here are things you need to ask at this stage:

1. How often do you have breathing room between blocks?
2. What is the attrition rate...including students held back?
3. What sort of support services do you provide?
4. Is the place where you will stay actually reasonable and in an area you could moderately enjoy?
5. Is going to class mandatory? (you might realize early that sitting in class passively will waste more of your time than actually help)
6. Where are clinical rotations?
7. Visit the second look or contact students from years ahead to get the feel of how the school treats student opinions
8. What is the amount of time your school provides to study for step? >>>>>>most important
9. Is there any scholarly activity that a student can do INSIDE the school? I have noted that making ties outside through better institutes can be very hard and most faculty from outside prefer to select only their students or another similar university of their caliber (bias is real and being referred by a school admin can be a hit or miss)

I hope that this helps serve as a start. Everyone will encourage you to take the acceptance but I would tread very carefully because once you've put your foot in the quicksand you kind of only can go its path. I know a kid who didn't get into med school the first time but he spent 3 more years improving on the weaknesses the admin recommended they make to their app...long story short his opinion was the school was the sole reason he got so much recognition from residency interviews...went onto match a surgical subspecialty at a top program. Moral of the story is that decisions made in haste are not often the best, and those made with meticulous measure of goals can lead to a more vitalized career in the future. Either go all in because you have no choice or pull out if you think you might fit elsewhere---you may be tunnel visioned at the moment but truth is that even a mediocre MD student may trump a DO with much better stats.

I appreciate your advice as well as your time. Unfortunately what’s holding me back is my abysmal undergrad GPA due to immaturity during my early years of college. I have tried to salvage by doing a masters and doing well in it (3.9). I do understand the upward path going DO but I don’t see the point of doing constant GPA repair for something I don’t have a sure thing obtaining. I am interested in surgical speciality but how hard is General Surgery as a DO? Thank you again.

General Surgery is very achievable for a DO student with good scores, letters and maybe some research or other extras depending on where you apply.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate your advice as well as your time. Unfortunately what’s holding me back is my abysmal undergrad GPA due to immaturity during my early years of college. I have tried to salvage by doing a masters and doing well in it (3.9). I do understand the upward path going DO but I don’t see the point of doing constant GPA repair for something I don’t have a sure thing obtaining. I am interested in surgical speciality but how hard is General Surgery as a DO? Thank you again.
Keep your eye on the ball and seek your surgical chair early. Set up research time through that person. Involve yourself in meaningful leadership but dont spread yourself thin. Goal is to pass the first 2 years but knock step out. Be courteous to your Deans and try finding a smart crowd that fits your type. Surrounding yourself with hyper kids might drive you to compare your performance with theirs in a neg way but keep a chill smart kid to keep yourself sharp abt things happening around you. Just know beyond gen surgey it really matters on what school you attend and how good their matches have been in subspecialties.

Reactions: 1 users