Need advice picking between two labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadkmladkds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I really want to be a surgeon and I'm picking between two labs and I'm completely torn.

Lab 1

Pro's
-pi is a surgeon
-students match very well
Con's
-work isn't as cool to me

Lab 2

Pro's
-Does machine learning work that blows my mind it's insanely cool
Con's
-Prof is phd and most people in his lab are too.

I'm an incoming MS1 at a top 20 med school. I really am leaning towards lab 2 because I'll learn more about machine learning which is my top thing other than surgery but part of me thinks I might be hurting myself down the line for applications.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a big believer in spending time doing things you are passionate about. Although it sounds like lab 1 will give you great connections, you clearly seem to be more interested in lab 2. Because of this passion, you will probably be more productive in lab 2, and have more interesting conversations regarding your research when you are on the residency interview trail (and in general). Sometimes being unique and taking a path less traveled makes you stand out and be more memorable. There will be plenty of other opportunities to meet surgeon mentors and prepare yourself for a successful match over the next 4 years. Do what makes you happy along the way.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I'm kinda leaning towards but since im considering neuro or ortho both crazy competitive fields I'm concerned by going with lab 2 I'll get a lab with less connections. I'm not sure how much connections matter but I'm scared as someone with none they might matter a lot

The majority of people change their mind about what speciality they want to go into once they start the clinical part of med school. Pick the lab you’re interested in. You have plenty of time to make “connections” in any field you want later on.