Need advice : remediation and dedicated for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a tricky situation

I failed one of my classes at the beginning of second year so I am required to remediate over the summer.

I had a meeting with a dean last month and he told me that the remediation at our school should be just self study and taking an remediation exam whenever the student feels ready.

However, the course director keeps insisting that the remediation should be 6~7 weeks long during the summer. I am supposed to do 3 weeks long training for 3rd year clerkships that all second year students do during the summer on top of this. Because of this, my dedicated for step 1 is only about 3.5 weeks instead of full 6 weeks that everyone normally gets. I have to take step 1 literally couple days right before clerkship start with the current tight schedule.

The dean, just like me, seems to recognize that scheduling remediation, clerkship training, and step 1 dedicated would be hard with 6 weeks of remediation. However, After meeting with the course director, the dean told me that he will talk with other deans and see what they think.

I am wondering what I should do in this situation. Should I just accept 6 weeks of remediation and do 3.5 weeks dedicated? Although it’s pf, I am actually still scared because first year was not a good year for me due to academic difficulties resulting from being out of school for many years and depression issues. I really don’t remember anything from first year and i am pretty sure my classmates are currently better prepared than I am.

Should I mention that my grades have improved? I used to always get bottom of the class grade but now I am near average.i am definitely doing better than before academically.

I am really frustrated. I don’t mind the remediation but 6~7 weeks just seems too much

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
This is a situation where P/F step 1 will really help you.

Don't take step 1 unless you are projected to pass comfortably. The remediation and step 1 studying could be combined without it being too crazy, just know that your top priority needs to be passing step. Your worst case scenario sounds like being off-cycle, but you could always use that time for research, right?
Sorry you're having to deal with this, it sucks to have things crammed together like this.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user