Need advice on matching: several rejections and only a few interviews so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten rejected from 4 programs so far and only have 6 interviews, a couple of which are at places that I don't really want to go to. I think I must have overestimated my qualifications, because I applied to a lot of competitive programs and have been rejected by most of them. I got 230 on step 1, honors in Peds, and probably have pretty good LOR's. Most of my interviews are from what I think are less competitive programs (except Children's National). I haven't heard from a few programs, but am not expecting much considering all the rejections I've gotten so far.

Now I am thinking about applying to more safety programs (if it's not too late) because I've heard that you should rank around 10 programs in order to match. Does anyone have any recommendations for safety programs that are reputable, would prepare me for fellowship, and preferably are university based? At this point, I've applied to almost every program on the West Coast except for a few in California. I'm open to applying anywhere at this point, but would prefer to be on one of the coasts. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

First, a match list of 6 programs is plenty. Second, the term "safety program" is a bad term since it means different things depending on the applicant. It may help to know which programs you have interviews at so far and which ones you have been rejected from in order to offer suggestions.

u seem like a well-qualified candidate where 6 interviews will be a comfortable number for ranking/match. Don't lose confidence~ and don't apply to more programs just for the idea of "safety" if you really didn't consider them or want to go them- waste of ur time, effort, and money. Some interviews may continue to trickle in... but 6 sounds like a great number especially with ur credentials. Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I've been really anxious because up until last week, I only had 5 interviews. However, I've gotten 3 more this week at great programs, so I'm comfortable with my number of interviews now.

Thanks for the advice. I've been really anxious because up until last week, I only had 5 interviews. However, I've gotten 3 more this week at great programs, so I'm comfortable with my number of interviews now.

Yay!! Congrats!! :hardy:

glad to hear that! congrats :D

oh Jendizzle, you are so smart...:laugh:

even posted at the same time...

Great minds....

At least I hope I have one. We'll see next week (third Wednesday from CK)....:(

Great minds....

At least I hope I have one. We'll see next week (third Wednesday from CK)....:(

:luck:good luck to you:luck:
im sure you did great!