Need advice on Electives! Unique situations :s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhhamzuuu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Been reading the forum posts and got lots of info. Great forum btw! Anyhow, here's the situation.

I just ended my second year (pre-clinical) training in Pakistan. Med school here is 5 years: 2 pre-clinic + 3 clinical years. I am a Canadian. My elementary/middle school was in Canada and then my family moved to Pakistan due to some circumstances and I started grade 9 here. And completed high school here. And then entered med school here too! .. Now I will begin my clerkships in a month or two. And I plan on going to North America (USA probably cuz Canada seems like a long shot) for residency training, perhaps IM/Ped/FM. I'm more inclined towards FM. But the weirdest part is, I am as some say weirdly wanting to train/practice in a rural setting! :D

I am currently engaged in two research studies, one which involves a rural topic. Since electives are planned in advance, I started searching now getting an idea about possibilities after my third year before starting my fourth. Considering I will have to appear for the MCCEE for a J-1 for America, I think maybe I can try my luck in Canada as well. Anyhow, I have the following options for electives:

1. Research Elective in America
2. Research Elective in Canada
3. Clinical Elective in Canada

Upon inquiry, I am eligible for a clinical placement in UofT McGill NOSM and a couple other hospitals but I really want to get a rural placement. I want to know, what should I go for? Considering that I may want to apply for the Carms match in 2016, would a clinical elective in Canada this early be of benefit? Would a clinical elective experience in Canada help me in the American match? Or should I not go for a clinical elective and opt for an American research elective?

I would really appreciate some help on this as I am quite confused! Realistic advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

Been reading the forum posts and got lots of info. Great forum btw! Anyhow, here's the situation.

I just ended my second year (pre-clinical) training in Pakistan. Med school here is 5 years: 2 pre-clinic + 3 clinical years. I am a Canadian. My elementary/middle school was in Canada and then my family moved to Pakistan due to some circumstances and I started grade 9 here. And completed high school here. And then entered med school here too! .. Now I will begin my clerkships in a month or two. And I plan on going to North America (USA probably cuz Canada seems like a long shot) for residency training, perhaps IM/Ped/FM. I'm more inclined towards FM. But the weirdest part is, I am as some say weirdly wanting to train/practice in a rural setting! :D

I am currently engaged in two research studies, one which involves a rural topic. Since electives are planned in advance, I started searching now getting an idea about possibilities after my third year before starting my fourth. Considering I will have to appear for the MCCEE for a J-1 for America, I think maybe I can try my luck in Canada as well. Anyhow, I have the following options for electives:

1. Research Elective in America
2. Research Elective in Canada
3. Clinical Elective in Canada

Upon inquiry, I am eligible for a clinical placement in UofT McGill NOSM and a couple other hospitals but I really want to get a rural placement. I want to know, what should I go for? Considering that I may want to apply for the Carms match in 2016, would a clinical elective in Canada this early be of benefit? Would a clinical elective experience in Canada help me in the American match? Or should I not go for a clinical elective and opt for an American research elective?

I would really appreciate some help on this as I am quite confused! Realistic advice would be highly appreciated! :)

I can't give you deets about what's good for the Canadian match, but can for the American.

An American research elective means squat. Most FM/Primary Care IM residencys/Peds residencys say "RESEARCH DOES NOT COUNT AS US CLINICAL EXPERIENCE".

Also, you're at a total disadvantage when it comes to American clinical & even Canadian clinical experience considering Caribbean kids get over 72 weeks worth at teaching hospitals.

I'd suggest looking at doing more clinically oriented electives in America, rather than research. Also, I did want you to know, there is a squeeze coming in the American residency picture (American Grads = # of Residency training spots), which means all the international guys will get pushed out by the time you're thinking of applying.

Maximize you're chances for the Canadian match.

Just my $0.02

Oh and if you're wondering, i'm going for the American match this year.

An American research elective means squat. Most FM/Primary Care IM residencys/Peds residencys say "RESEARCH DOES NOT COUNT AS US CLINICAL EXPERIENCE".

I'd suggest looking at doing more clinically oriented electives in America, rather than research. Also, I did want you to know, there is a squeeze coming in the American residency picture (American Grads = # of Residency training spots), which means all the international guys will get pushed out by the time you're thinking of applying.

Maximize you're chances for the Canadian match.

Just my $0.02

Oh and if you're wondering, i'm going for the American match this year.

I too think that a research experience won't really be worth it unless i get some publication outta it and that won't happen in 4-8 weeks! But some ppl do emphasize this so just asking for opinions.

Yup you're right. Odds are getting bleak every passing year. But I had a 1 in 10 chance to get into med school and i did so gotta keep my hopes up eh? And this is exactly why I'm asking for elective experiences to sorta tell em that I wanna be here! lol

So you're saying I should go for the canadian clinicals then?

AND, good luck for the match! :cool: