Canadian applying for US electives...do I need a visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Kat_Lady

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian studying in Europe (4MD program) applying for US electives for January to May 2018. A lot of these application forms have a section to fill out about visas but do I need one as a Canadian to do electives in the US?
Do I leave it blank and apply after I've been accepted for the elective?

So far I've found that the B1 is required but after you receive an acceptance and then you present the info at border control for an I-94 form but....this kind of presents a problem...
If I'm there from January to May and lets just say that not all the acceptances come in at once...do I have to leave and repeat the process again??? every time? How did other ppl deal with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian studying in Europe (4MD program) applying for US electives for January to May 2018. A lot of these application forms have a section to fill out about visas but do I need one as a Canadian to do electives in the US?
Do I leave it blank and apply after I've been accepted for the elective?

So far I've found that the B1 is required but after you receive an acceptance and then you present the info at border control for an I-94 form but....this kind of presents a problem...
If I'm there from January to May and lets just say that not all the acceptances come in at once...do I have to leave and repeat the process again??? every time? How did other ppl deal with this?
As a student, we use F1 visas. As Canadians, the F1 gets a D/S status, so it's good until we're done. We don't have to re-cross the border for renewals. idk if that's what you would use as a "visiting" student though. The B1 is a visitor visa, so that kind of makes sense. idk about the renewal process. My guess is you'd be doing the same as med students at Canadian schools doing electives in the US?