Need advice on application process..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylan21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a few questions regarding my application process for podiatry school.
1. I have three letter or recommendations from my advisor, research psychology professor, and another advisor. However, all three letters are with my main advisor and she doesn't know where to send the LOR. I was under the impression that she has to mail it to each of the schools? Is there an easier way? By the time she sends them and they are received will probably be 3 weeks!
2. Should I get a LOR from the podiatrist I shadowed? I only shadowed twice, but I could go back and ask him to write one...however, he is really busy so I am not sure if he will have time. Is it necessary?
3. I sent in my main application on Friday. What is the typical response from schools until they reply? Will they give me interviews without my LOR?
4. Finally, what is the probability that if given an interview one is accepted? I applied to all the schools. However, if I am given an interview at all of them, I would rather attend only a few due to financial reasonings.
Any advice I could be given I would greatly appreciate! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda odd you only shadowed a podiatrist twice. Unless you personally know that podiatrist I really don't think he is gonna be able to write a recommendation for someone he has met just twice before, and I am assuming that is less than 10 hrs with him. But in my mind I believe it would have been a smarter idea to have shadowed a podiatrist for some more time. I have not applied at all yet and don't plan on it for 1 more yr but I just think it would have been a good idea to get to see what a podiatrist does.

It could possibly come up in the interview about how you don't have a recommendation from a podiatrist and it could hurt you a bit (not much!) if you mention you have 10 or less hours of shadowing. You could even had gone during the summer twice a week to a podiatrist, which is what I plan on doing this upcoming summer while I study for the MCAT. Back when I was thinking to myself if I wanted to go into PA I even shadowed a podiatrist (family friend and use to do landscaping for him) three times and a couple times in HS.
Most podiatrist aren't too busy to do something like this, and the Doctor I followed goes to the hospital and does surgery Thurs and Fri, and Mon, Tues, Wed he is at his practice.

Personally for me I am not even wasting my time to apply (when time is near) to either of the three schools on the West Coast, especially Arizona. I would rather save my money on those apps knowing I will never go there since there are other ones that accept the same grade I am at (3.25 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA). But when you do get the interview offers you should wait so that you don't go spending thousands of dollars on airfare b/c you just got an invite to all 9 schools. Look at where you live now and where you actually WANT to attend and where you feel like you would like to be for 4 more yrs. If you are homesick too much don't go to the school half way across the country. That is why I am looking more at Scholl's and Kent State b/c they are closer to MI and Barry b/c I have an aunt that lives down there and my entire family has two condos in southern Florida.

Last edited:
1. Your advisor will need to send the letters to each school. Usually the advising office will use an online service to do this. On the APMA website there is a list of schools and how they receive LORs. If your school isn't using an ELOR system then it will take some time for the schools to receive them.
2. You need an LOR from a pod. If I remember correctly (please correct me if wrong), all schools require a letter from a pod. Get on this ASAP! You will get a better letter if you give the pod some time to write it and talk to him/her about it. Maybe you can even give them your personal statement so they know more about you.
3. Schools need to have all your application documents before they can invite you. In other words, don't count on getting invites without having sent your LORs.
4. If you get an interview then it means that you have met the qualifications to attend the school and they want to evaluate your social skills. If you get an interview then I would say that it is a pretty good chance you will get in, but you still need bring your game to the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied in October I did not have all of my lors in order and was offered interviews at all 5 schools I applied for. I am sure you will get interview offers without the letters. Try and get them to the schools before you show up though

That would be sick if you can live there and not have to pay rent.

But too bad Barry is in Miami, FL and the condos are in Marco Island and Fort Myers. 110 and 150 miles away from Miami

1. I would use interfolio if you have the money, yes it is sort of pricey but I view it as much easier then mailing to everyone.
2. Most programs need an LOR from a POD. I went three days and I got one. Just ask odds are likely they needed one. Also just politely follow up with them if you think they forgot about the email. Say something of how their LOR will have a lot of sway.
Finally some of the smaller schools might be filling, so that might be dicey, but I am sure someone will take you. A lot of schools get back quickly (a week tops) Western took a month, AZPOD took 3 months to respond.