This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waveringatom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Reapplicant here. Applied to about 26 schools this cycle in AACOMAS (second cycle). I've been getting rejections even quicker than last cycle. Need some guidance on how to prepare if I do have to reapply? My application from last cycle differs by 4 more post-bacc credits (got an A). I am also currently enrolled in 9 credits of upper-division biology courses for Fall 2019.

ORM

Final GPA (including post bacc)

3.25 cGPA
3.14 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (23 credits upper division science)
3.957 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS) (July 2018)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
Worked at established tech retail companies

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Reapplicant here. Applied to about 26 schools this cycle in AACOMAS (second cycle). I've been getting rejections even quicker than last cycle. Need some guidance on how to prepare if I do have to reapply? My application from last cycle differs by 4 more post-bacc credits (got an A). I am also currently enrolled in 9 credits of upper-division biology courses for Fall 2019.

ORM

Final GPA (including post bacc)

3.25 cGPA
3.14 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (23 credits upper division science)
3.957 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS) (July 2018)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
Worked at established tech retail companies
What is your school list? Did you have multiple eyes look at your personal statement? Also, did you ask for feedback on your app from last cycle? With you stats you should be competitive at some DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you do in between cycles to improve your application other than taking one more course?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT, post-Bacc GPA and EC’s look fine as long as you’ve met the general hour requirements for shadowing and volunteering. Did you ask for feedback from the schools you applied to in the previous cycle and improve based on those recommendations? Also make sure your PS and essays are solid as well. Your GPA may not be hitting the minimal criteria needed to receive a II/interview which could be the reason for early rejections. Check your school list and make sure you’re applying to the schools that you’re eligible for. Some schools (including mine) drop their initial GPA/MCAT minimum criteria towards the end of the application cycle so it may be awhile before you would receive an invite if you’re under the initial minimums.

If you’re re-applying, ask the schools that rejected you for advice on how to improve your application. You’ve shown you can handle tougher coursework with your great post-Bacc GPA and your MCAT is competitive for most DO schools. If it’s EC’s, start making those necessary connections now. If it’s PS/Essays, rewrite them and have them be reviewed by reliable people so you get helpful suggestions. If it’s a poor school list, @Faha is the master of school list suggestions. Hope this helps and good luck!

Which schools did you end up applying to ?

These were the schools I applied to second cycle around. Most of them I was a reapplicant.

ACOM
ARCOM
AZCOM
BCOM
CCOM
CUSOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
KYCOM
LECOM
LECOM-B
LMU-DCOM
MUCOM
Rowan
RVU
SOMA
Touro-NY
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
UNECOM
VCOM-Auburn
VCOM-Carolina
VCOM-Louisiana
VCOM-Va
WVSOM

What is your school list? Did you have multiple eyes look at your personal statement? Also, did you ask for feedback on your app from last cycle? With you stats you should be competitive at some DO schools.

My school list is in my previous comment. I did have a complete reworking of my PS. I had several people look over it including previous medical students.

Of the two schools I interviewed at last cycle, only one provided "feedback". They said nothing negative was written during my interview except that I had to have the interviewer (during speed dating) repeat his question. Other than that, there was nothing else. So I don't have a definitive answer as to what I can improve, whether it is my application or my interview.

What did you do in between cycles to improve your application other than taking one more course?

Primarily the one class. I also worked at a retail electronics company as tech support since October 2018 (still employed there). I ended up moving to another state so had to hold off until i was a in-state resident for classes.

Why would you work as tech support? Does it help your application?

Have you heard back from WVSOM or LMU. I better you get interviews there.

Unfortunately not (yet?). Didn't hear back last cycle either so not holding out too much hope there. I was accepted into LMU's masters but declined to attend, per @Goro 's recommendation on the status of the med school.