Need advice if I should apply now!! Please respond!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member82289

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Decided to put myself out there and see if anyone could give me good advice.

I have a 3.79 cumGPA and a 3.83 bioGPA.
I'm studying for the MCATS now and I'm getting a 27-30 on practice tests.

I did a years worth of emergency dept volunteering at a hospital and shadowed a PA for about a year. I'm President of my school's science society. I work with special needs kids so I'm hoping that'll be my edge. (I'm also female and come from a chassidic family. not sure if that will help..)

I started the application process and I'm registered to take the MCAT mid August.

I was wondering if you could help me out and tell what my chances are of getting in and what level schools I should be applying to.

I'm also not sure if I should apply this summer bc that means my MCAT score will only get in a month after I take it. About mid september. Or if I should apply next year, I don't want to have a big gap.

Any help/advice/constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you scored in that range you'd be able to get into lots of DO programs and some MD programs. What is your state of residence, and what schools would you be applying to?

Thanks for your reply!

I'm a NY resident, why, how would my state lower or raise my chances of getting into school? I'm planning on applying to most NY schools and a bunch out of state. Any recommendations based on my stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a suggestion, but if you're applying out of state, you want to make sure those school accept a lot of out of staters. Generally, if they have minimal spots, they'll take someone with a higher MCAT than 27-30. If you check out of state private schools, you can have a better shot. NY will probably be a good bet for you, though.

thanks, that's a great suggestion. I will look at the stats for the out of state schools.

Keep up with the studying and do more practice tests. Make sure you do the later AAMC tests (higher numbered test like 10 or 11). These tests model the most recent MCAT.

Try to get your app done shortly ASAP and submit. Even if you only apply to one school, at least you will be in line to get verified. You can add more schools later (probably after receiving your MCAT scores)

yo dont worry about the amcas gpa calculator its pretty accurate to your schools or at least it should be mine was so dead on it was scary