Need a reality check or advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trying2Suxede

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a little background about me from 3 years ago. I got some advice but then the thread got derailed and I just stopped reading.

TLDR; I failed out of a Caribbean Medical School in the first semester, and wanted to know my options.

HEre are some updates: I applied in the 2018 cycle for 2019 to Podiatry programs (all 9), got an interview with only 1, and got rejected really late in the process (May 2019). Following Fall, I started an EMT program. By the time I finished in, the pandemic started, and I couldn't give my licensing exam until June 2020. On the way home from my licensing exam, I was hit by a driver on their phone, my car was totalled, but I was lucky and just made it out with just some bruising and a bulging disc. Unfortunately, it made it difficult for me to get a job as an EMT because of the whole pandemic going on and agencies being really wary of prior injuries.

I had two options: I got into another Caribbean school, but because of it being online (and failing at that), and not being clear about their plans during and after the pandemic, I decided to not got. On the other hand, I got into an accelerated BSN (Nursing) program, which starts in a couple of weeks. I am currently going the BSN route, but my dream is still to become a doctor. I really respect the nursing profession, but I also want some independence and job security that comes with being a doctor or the like. Am I asking for too much? Is it actually possible for me to maybe try medical school some time in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend that you stick with the BSN path.

I really respect the nursing profession, but I also want some independence and job security that comes with being a doctor or the like.
If you want some more independence in the future, you can become an NP. And nurses have excellent job security; there is a major nurse shortage.

Here is a little background about me from 3 years ago. I got some advice but then the thread got derailed and I just stopped reading.

TLDR; I failed out of a Caribbean Medical School in the first semester, and wanted to know my options.

HEre are some updates: I applied in the 2018 cycle for 2019 to Podiatry programs (all 9), got an interview with only 1, and got rejected really late in the process (May 2019). Following Fall, I started an EMT program. By the time I finished in, the pandemic started, and I couldn't give my licensing exam until June 2020. On the way home from my licensing exam, I was hit by a driver on their phone, my car was totalled, but I was lucky and just made it out with just some bruising and a bulging disc. Unfortunately, it made it difficult for me to get a job as an EMT because of the whole pandemic going on and agencies being really wary of prior injuries.

I had two options: I got into another Caribbean school, but because of it being online (and failing at that), and not being clear about their plans during and after the pandemic, I decided to not got. On the other hand, I got into an accelerated BSN (Nursing) program, which starts in a couple of weeks. I am currently going the BSN route, but my dream is still to become a doctor. I really respect the nursing profession, but I also want some independence and job security that comes with being a doctor or the like. Am I asking for too much? Is it actually possible for me to maybe try medical school some time in the future?
Same advice as 3 years ago; dismissal from any medical school makes your chances of an acceptance almost impossible. Even if you were to be accepted and do exceedingly well, residency programs would see your prior coursework and you'd be DOA with a ton of debt.

Unless the acceptance process for medical school radically changes, your chances of becoming a practicing physician are very close to zero.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you are going to keep asking this question unless you get the answer you want to hear, or get advice from "that one guy" who made it.

The fact is your situation is extraordinary and rare. Medical school is a risk for you. So far you have no track record of academic success that we can see. You will probably fail out again. You don't want to take risks with 4 years of your life and a ton of debt. There is also an opportunity cost to applying over and over again and not getting in. First it was applying to DO, then it was carribean, then it was applying to podiatry...

Look. It sucks. I reapplied a lot with decent stats and was fortunate enough to get in. You have a really spotty record here and if podiatry schools aren't looking at you I doubt its very good. Be a nurse. You can become an NP or at least have a job to be proud of.
Same advice as 3 years ago; dismissal from any medical school makes your chances of an acceptance almost impossible. Even if you were to be accepted and do exceedingly well, residency programs would see your prior coursework and you'd be DOA with a ton of debt.
I kind of wonder if program directors would care about a prior attempt if you your most recent medical school journey is spotless...

Reactions: 1 user
I actually think becoming a nurse and showing dedication to patient care for a few years in that role is a good way to show that you are medical school material. In the end, you may find you actually really like nursing. There are plenty of administrative roles to branch into as a nurse. The PA/NP field is a bit of a mess right now but the market highly favors NPs and you can find all sorts of roles with independence as an NP. If you have any interest at all in mental health, I highly recommend BSN then PMHNP. Great pay and likely not going anywhere any time soon. Telehealth job options. It has a lot of potential if you see yourself doing mental health work.

If the other carib is one of the Big 4 and you can do well there, you have minimum chance of getting into a residency (especially since Step 1 will be p/f by that time).

I'm afraid your chances of getting into another non-carib medical school are even less than those chances.

I think the BSN route is a good idea.