Need a Big Favor: Do you think this College is legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Phoenix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I saw an advertisement for this medical program in today's news paper. I'm quite skeptic about this institution and its program.

Can anyone please help me verify about this institution/program?

South Asian Institute of Technology and Management, Sri Lanka (www.saitm.edu.lk) in collaboration with Nizhni Novgorod State Medical Academy, Russia (http://www.gma.nnov.ru/welc.htm) is offering a medical program which involves 4 years in Sri Lanka and one year in Russia.

I live in Sri Lanka and this is the only advertised private medical college in here. All others are state regulated and highly competitive. So, in case I couldn't make it into a Government College, I might wanna join this rather than going abroad but I want to know about this institution.

I'm interested about its recognition in USA, UK and Europe.

Members don't see this ad.

To enter residency in the United States, you must have an ECFMG Certificate.

To get an ECFMG Certificate, you must attend a school listed on the International Medical Education Database of FAIMER for 4 years: https://imed.faimer.org/

The Sri Lankan school you reference above is not listed and therefore, not recognized in the US to date. The Russian school is listed and used to be known as Gorky Medical College but since you would only be attending 1 year there, you would still not be eligible for ECMFG certification.

I note that the web site for the Sri Lankan school has dead/non-functional links for the medical school which tells me that the site was either hastily produced or they don't have anything really working yet.

But, doesn't the SAITM website say something like
Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy – Russian Federation,
Sri Lankan Campus?

Well, doesn't that mean that I'm still doing the first 4 years of Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy even if it's in Sri Lanka?

I mean this is affliated and kind of like an external degree and NNSMA approves the first 4 years as if done in their own campus and shouldn't FAIMER do the same?

Does this mean that I can't practice in USA if I do a medical degree in a college not listed in FAIMER but affiliated with a FAIMER listed school?(external degree)

There was a college in Bangladesh affiliated with a Bangladesh state university and it gave the state university's degree to its students... who are considered external student of state university...

in srilanka, recognition is based on degree awarding institution and the degree gained and it doesn't usually take in to consideration course details as lon as the student passed the government exam for foreign grads...

Members don't see this ad :)
But, doesn't the SAITM website say something like
Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy – Russian Federation,
Sri Lankan Campus?

Well, doesn't that mean that I'm still doing the first 4 years of Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy even if it's in Sri Lanka?

It depends on who is awarding you the degree.

If its the Russian school then you may be in luck, as it is FAIMER recognized. However, I would check with not only ECFMG but various licensing bureaus in the US, because not all programs of medical schools are eligible for licensing (for example, some of the English language programs in the former Eastern block are not, whereas the national language programs are).

If the degree is from the Sri Lankan school, it is not listed in FAIMER.

I mean this is affliated and kind of like an external degree and NNSMA approves the first 4 years as if done in their own campus and shouldn't FAIMER do the same?

Not necessarily. FAIMER does not accredite medical schools and ECFMG has been loathe to accept degrees from such affiliated programs because there is no guarantee of quality measures (ie, if you spend several years outside the country which awards your degree how do they know what you are being taught?).

"FAIMER lists schools which are recognized by the appropriate government agency in the countries in which they are located. The agency responsible for this recognition in most countries is the Ministry of Health. FAIMER is not an accrediting agency. Listing of a medical school in IMED does not denote recognition, accreditation, or endorsement by FAIMER."

"A medical school is listed in IMED after FAIMER receives confirmation from the Ministry of Health or other appropriate agency that the Ministry or agency has recognized that school. FAIMER also updates IMED as new information about medical schools is received from Ministries of Health or other appropriate agencies."

Interestingly, the medical school in Russia states that its English language program is 6 years in length and I can find no mention of any affiliation with Sri Lanka. There are some email addresses on their website, you might try contacting the faculty and see what they say, along with ECFMG and some US state licensing bureaus. I suspect this program is too new for anyone to have any experience or rules about it yet.

ECFMG also requires that you spend the majority of your time in the country where the degree is awarded. So, if the degree is awarded by the Russian school, you must spend X years of your degree in Russia. If the degree is from the Sri Lankan school, you must spend the majority of your years there - which you do in this program, but then you run into the circular problem that the Sri Lankan school is not listed by FAIMER.

Does this mean that I can't practice in USA if I do a medical egree in a college not listed in FAIMER but affiliated with a FAIMER listed school?(external degree)

I don't know the answer to that but essentially that is what I am implying. I am willing to bet that most residency and fellowship programs will defer you to ECFMG and that ECFMG will tell you that if the school is not listed on FAIMER, then you are not eligible. That doesn't mean that the program won't be listed, but you are taking a risk that it will be someday.

Do not let your desires to be a physician be so strong that you allow yourself to be duped - these programs are all over the place. You must do a lot of research and don't rely on what I tell you either. Make sure you verify everything I tell you and get primary source information.

If you can't get into a Sri Lankan school, there are hundreds elsewhere worldwide that ARE listed on FAIMER, that should be your first step if you want to work in the US - making sure your school is listed.

Do not let your desires to be a physician be so strong that you allow yourself to be duped - these programs are all over the place. You must do a lot of research and don't rely on what I tell you either. Make sure you verify everything I tell you and get primary source information.

If you can't get into a Sri Lankan school, there are hundreds elsewhere worldwide that ARE listed on FAIMER, that should be your first step if you want to work in the US - making sure your school is listed.

That's the biggest.. there are hundreds and it's very hard to sort through them... :/

Wish there was an international database of medical schools that allows me to sort choices by cost and location and competition.

I will stick to your advice and will leave this aside for a while and check out other choices.

Thanks a lot anyway. This forum and particularly you have been of great help to me.

YW.

You can start your filter with programs that teach in English.

Then weed out by required citizenship.

Then by acceptance in SL and US.

Then by cost...

the list gets smaller and smaller.

Thanks for the tip winged scapula.

I will follow your advice.

I truly wish there was a central database with these sorting functions.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Hmm here's what IMED had to say about affiliation.

• What happens if a student has received the medical education in an university not listed in IMED but has been issued a certificate from an affiliated university listed in IMED? Is this student still eligible for USMLE?

No. The medical school must be listed in IMED, not the affiliated university. Using the case you cited, the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council does not grant recognition to the affiliated university but to each individual medical college. Therefore, it is the college that must be listed in IMED.

• What if a student follows a medical degree at an IMED listed university but in a language that is not listed in IMED. Is the student still eligible for USMLE?

The language of instruction as listed in IMED is provided by the medical school. If the school has not updated the IMED listing to show a different or additional language of instruction, that information will not appear. But it does NOT have any effect on eligibility for the USMLE.

• What happens when a student does a big part of his medical degree in an institution not listed in IMED but affiliated with an IMED listed university and then transfers to the parent university for the final year and completes his degree? Is the student eligible for USMLE?

That would be decided on a case-by-case basis after the student has applied and submitted transfer credits documentation to ECFMG.