NDs lecturing at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cn2604

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we just had a naturopathic doctor come in at my DO school today and give us a lecture on naturopathic medicine as well as homeopathy and other forms of alternative medicine. And no this wasn't some kind of optional seminar for people interested, it was part of our normal curriculum. This lecture focused on herbal remedies, general intro to CAM, etc. and was ended with a prayer/meditation session.

Throughout the lecture, the ND kept lumping NDs and DOs into the same group, saying things like "we as physicians" (referring to NDs and DOs as a group) and remarking on the similarities between osteopathic and naturopathic medicine and how the MD's don't practice holistically like "us" (propaganda proliferated commonly at my school that I also disagree with). I found it all very offensive to the modern and evidence-based nature of osteopathic medicine today and feel like things like this just continue to hold back the profession.

Am I overreacting? I asked several people in my class what they thought of it, and no one seemed to think it was a big deal. A lot of students in my class are into alternative medicine and we have a CAM interest group. We also take a required CAM block taught by an ND during our second year. Is this common at other schools? And no, we aren't one of the newer schools....we're actually at one of the more established and respected DO schools, which is another reason I find all of this especially embarrassing.

Members don't see this ad.

So we just had a naturopathic doctor come in at my DO school today and give us a lecture on naturopathic medicine as well as homeopathy and other forms of alternative medicine. And no this wasn't some kind of optional seminar for people interested, it was part of our normal curriculum. This lecture focused on herbal remedies, general intro to CAM, etc. and was ended with a prayer/meditation session.

Throughout the lecture, the ND kept lumping NDs and DOs into the same group, saying things like "we as physicians" (referring to NDs and DOs as a group) and remarking on the similarities between osteopathic and naturopathic medicine and how the MD's don't practice holistically like "us" (propaganda proliferated commonly at my school that I also disagree with). I found it all very offensive to the modern and evidence-based nature of osteopathic medicine today and feel like things like this just continue to hold back the profession.

Am I overreacting? I asked several people in my class what they thought of it, and no one seemed to think it was a big deal. A lot of students in my class are into alternative medicine and we have a CAM interest group. We also take a required CAM block taught by an ND during our second year. Is this common at other schools? And no, we aren't one of the newer schools....we're actually at one of the more established and respected DO schools, which is another reason I find all of this especially embarrassing.

The "integration" of quackademics into the study of medicine is sadly not limited to your DO school (I'm not aware of any required CAM blocks at MD schools, but I do know they're offered).

If you care... http://sfsbm.org/index.php?option=com_community&view=frontpage there are some people trying to push back.

Reactions: 1 user
You must go to a new school that they've convinced you is respected. ;)

If you were at a more established school you'd have an OMM faculty that is hippy enough to teach those lectures.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The "integration" of quackademics into the study of medicine is sadly not limited to your DO school (I'm not aware of any required CAM blocks at MD schools, but I do know they're offered).

If you care... http://sfsbm.org/index.php?option=com_community&view=frontpage there are some people trying to push back.
What's with the pic on the first page there? Are they laughing at all the losers who could't get into an MD school? I'd love to see a squadron of pigeons fly over and bomb-drop some crypto on their orchestrated moment of joy that seems to be backed by a corny 1990s sitcom theme song.

It is just one lecture (right?) and why did you even go. I wouldn't have considered even if it was worth points.

We had a D.O. give one lecture on CAM, but it was mainly geared toward a broad perspective so that if some patients who use it ask basic questions. I'd be pretty pissed if a ND referred to himself as a physician.

What's with the pic on the first page there? Are they laughing at all the losers who could't get into an MD school? I'd love to see a squadron of pigeons fly over and bomb-drop some crypto on their orchestrated moment of joy that seems to be backed by a corny 1990s sitcom theme song.

I know; they're physicians and advocates, not web-designers.

There's no harm in being exposed to herbals and other supplements in your curriculum. In fact I think it is to our benefit. We had a two hour lecture on CAM stuff first year. It was strictly informational and not test material. An entire block is a different story, but I think every student physician should at least be aware of basic pharmacology of herbals. Many people flock to the newest supplement to hit GNC. Since people are taking them we as the physician should at least be aware of potential interactions or know where to look to verify if they have the potential to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
I was just being a wise@$$.

Yeah, and my sad but acknowledging tone didn't come through across the interbutts either.

We should get some crystals and align our chakras to prevent this happening again in the future.

It is just one lecture (right?) and why did you even go. I wouldn't have considered even if it was worth points.

We had a D.O. give one lecture on CAM, but it was mainly geared toward a broad perspective so that if some patients who use it ask basic questions. I'd be pretty pissed if a ND referred to himself as a physician.

It was a required lecture.

You must go to a new school that they've convinced you is respected. ;)

If you were at a more established school you'd have an OMM faculty that is hippy enough to teach those lectures.

haha I wish because that would make this easier to understand. But it is a very established program and usually referred to as one of the top DO schools on these boards, if that means anything.

It was a required lecture.

haha I wish because that would make this easier to understand. But it is a very established program and usually referred to as one of the top DO schools on these boards, if that means anything.

I hope it wasn't at TCOM, PCOM, CCOM, MSUCOM or NSU.

There's no harm in being exposed to herbals and other supplements in your curriculum. In fact I think it is to our benefit. We had a two hour lecture on CAM stuff first year. It was strictly informational and not test material. An entire block is a different story, but I think every student physician should at least be aware of basic pharmacology of herbals. Many people flock to the newest supplement to hit GNC. Since people are taking them we as the physician should at least be aware of potential interactions or know where to look to verify if they have the potential to do so.
You can expose yourself to this or get it in passing here and there (say for instance the Pharm Professor notes a popular Herbal with a large DI when talking about a real drug)

Why have lectures on it and NDs come into talk about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, one of those.

Is this the first time this school has ever done something like this? I have a hard time believing that nobody else has ever complained about this on SDN.

Yeah, and my sad but acknowledging tone didn't come through across the interbutts either.

We should get some crystals and align our chakras to prevent this happening again in the future.
hahahaha! nice!

Had a practitioner of ancient Chinese medicine as well as a Native American healer come give a lecture at our school. It was in context of CAM... for the purposes of being exposed to the sorts of things people might come ask you about. It was a required lecture.

If you can get past cranial, you can get past this sort of thing.

Maybe since my school has so many students from Utah we could get a representative from DoTerra Essential Oils to come give us a lecture/sales pitch.

Join date-today + Plus stupid offensive first post= default troll :meh:

Join date-today + Plus stupid offensive first post= default troll :meh:

I expected someone to call me a troll....the new account is for anonymity and hence why I also didn't name my school. I know everyone likes to claim someone is a "troll" every time someone says something negative about DOs but the truth is that there are lot of backwards things still happening in DO schools and if we want to take ourselves and our profession seriously, we should not ignore them or laugh them off.

Is this the first time this school has ever done something like this? I have a hard time believing that nobody else has ever complained about this on SDN.

I don't think it's the first time. There are a lot of questionable things that go on at my school that I had never heard about prior to matriculating.

I expected someone to call me a troll....the new account is for anonymity and hence why I also didn't name my school. I know everyone likes to claim someone is a "troll" every time someone says something negative about DOs but the truth is that there are lot of backwards things still happening in DO schools and if we want to take ourselves and our profession seriously, we should not ignore them or laugh them off.

I don't think it's the first time. There are a lot of questionable things that go on at my school that I had never heard about prior to matriculating.

The good news is, you don't have to practice CAM when you're done.

TBH when I first read your post I thought it was ridiculous .but after I thought about it I don't think its that horrible. They aren't testing you on the material. They are just showing you an alternative form of medicine that people in this day of age still believe in. I think in a way it kinda trains you to be more open-minded because one of these days you will encounter a patient who really believes in this stuff. Plus how can you argue against the validity of these alternative medicine if you don't even understand anything about it. I think the only thing that really bothers me is how the ND refer to themselves as physicians which I don't even think should be legally allowed.

The good news is, you don't have to practice CAM when you're done.

The biggest issue to me is allowing osteopathic medicine to be associated with naturopathy, homeopathy, etc. That was what bothered me the most about this lecture. I wouldn't have a problem if it was just a way to expose us to therapies our future patients might ask about, as others have suggested. But the info was presented more like "oh you guys can use this as an alternative way to treat your patients instead of resorting to drugs". The lecturer also compared our use of OMM to the treatments in CAM as another way that we are similar. I'm far from a fan of OMM and don't plan to use it, but I don't believe it belongs in the same category. If we allow NDs to be compared as our colleagues, which a lot of my classmates (and even faculty who attended the lecture) had no issue with it seemed, why should we blame the general public for doing the same, when they are far less educated on these topics?

I agree with you OP and feel for your concerns, and also agree that things like this do hold the profession back.

There are some good herbal remedies out there. I've heard that purified bella donna is pretty good at treating organophosphate poisoning.

I hope this is a joke. My head would explode if I had to listen to that.

Western medicine is not the end all be all. If it was no one would need to pursue alternative treatments. My school had a 2 hour lecture on alternative medicine - from a pharmD with pubs galore - most people in my class were very rude and did not take it seriously. I think it's a shame that people approached the lecture with an already closed mind. Similar to those kids who complain about OPP classes day in and out. I don't plan on using any herbals remedies etc ... - but I still found the lecture interesting.

There are some good herbal remedies out there. I've heard that purified bella donna is pretty good at treating organophosphate poisoning.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1398243482.616526.jpg

I think it's a good idea to get some exposure to alternative medicine - a lot of your patients will have tried or know someone who have tried alternative medicine. Occasionally your patients will ask you for advice/recommendations. Sometimes it's important to know what your patients are doing so you can be a good physician (ie bleeding risks with certain supplements, drug-drug interactions with certain supplements). It's not to convince you, or convert you , but to raise awareness of what your patients may be exposed to.

Some MD schools have incorporate "exposure" to alternative medicine as part of their curriculum (mostly electives, but sometimes they include 1-2 lectures in their general education curriculum).

UCSF offers some integrative medicine courses for their students, residents, and fellows.
http://www.osher.ucsf.edu/education/integrative-medicine-curriculum/elective-courses/

Stanford School of Medicine (look at Block 3 under Communications)
http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum/overview.html

Elective at Harvard Medical School (open only to harvard medical students)
http://www.medcatalog.harvard.edu/coursedetails.aspx?cl=elective&id=18242

University of Michigan School of Medicine
http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/education/curriculum.htm

However, I do agree with everyone that osteopathic medicine must be careful when dealing with this subject. All too often, osteopathy is lumped together with naturopathy, chiropractors, homeopaths, etc. It doesn't help that osteopathic medicine exist only in the US, with osteopathy being an alternative medicine field in the rest of the world. It's one thing for UCSF, Harvard, or Stanford to offer CAM to their medical students, but DO schools must be careful or else it might reinforce any misconceptions that the mainstream, or even academia, might have with osteopathic medicine.

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

I don't give a damn how it would affect my grade, I wouldn't show up to such a lecture in protest. NDs are not colleagues, they are not physicians, and they do not deserve our respect and time. I really hate quackery. Homeopathy is one of the most popular things pushed by NDs, and it is truly quackery at its finest. Anyone who uses it as a primary treatment modality should literally be laughed out of a lecture hall immediately following their description of how serial dilution works.

Maybe I'm just still a bit upset at the few cases I've come across of people going to CAM practitioners with diseases that were initially easily treatable but either suffered severe complications or went terminal because they took too long seeking traditional medical care. That pisses me off- people should go to prison for that sort of "care," not speak at medical schools.

Reactions: 4 users
lol

Like others have said, it's good to at least have exposure to alternative treatments because you will have patients on those kinds of treatments, many of which can have a pharmacological effect or interact with other drugs. And some of it does appear on board exams. One of the upper years had a question about red yeast rice on his exam. FYI, red yeast rice = source of lovastatin. But the FDA has been regulating red yeast rice, so most of it that you see in the market has no appreciable lovastatin left in it.

Anyway, at my school, we had Dr. Joel Fuhrman (MD, but quack) come to speak at an open seminar. The majority of my class showed with a healthy bit of skepticism and laid siege on him. This is an MD school, btw.

My buddy at a Texas MD just had like a month ago a series of mandatory lectures on CAM, presented by this kind of practitioners.

Honestly i would complain to the school. Presenting information about alternative treatments that your future patients may have tried = good thing. I think it would be very valuable to have that information in order to educate your patients.

Having an ND come in and act like they are on the same level as a DO? That's some horse****.

Reactions: 2 users
Regardless of how it was presented, in the real world patients do ask about alternative medicine and herbals ALL THE TIME. I honestly wish I had even one lecture on what ND's do because your patients flock to those types of providers. I get a lot of elderly patients who only want "natural" medicine who think DO=ND and want me to tell them what to take to cure their ails without writing an Rx.

Maybe I'm just still a bit upset at the few cases I've come across of people going to CAM practitioners with diseases that were initially easily treatable but either suffered severe complications or went terminal because they took too long seeking traditional medical care.

I'm doing a mastectomy today on a young woman with a fungating chest wall mass which her "doctor" has been "treating" with IV Vitamin C, etc. She clearly has metastatic disease with positive axillary and supraclav nodes but refuses any adjuvant treatment.

It frustrates me that we work diligently to take care of people, all the while facing the real possibility of litigation when things don't go well (or even if they do), and there are NDs out there (and we have loads here because we have some schools in town) *killing* patients with these unproven treatments. Despite what I do today in the OR, this women will almost assuredly die of her metastatic breast cancer before age 50. :(

Reactions: 7 users
Regardless of how it was presented, in the real world patients do ask about alternative medicine and herbals ALL THE TIME. I honestly wish I had even one lecture on what ND's do because your patients flock to those types of providers. I get a lot of elderly patients who only want "natural" medicine who think DO=ND and want me to tell them what to take to cure their ails without writing an Rx.

The problem with trying to teach physicians what NDs actually do is that naturopathy is a veritable cornucopia of whackaloon modalities smashed together hodge-podge. There is no standard of practice since they're pretty much making it up as they go along, and even if you know what supplements they peddle you don't know what's actually in those little capsules (thank you Orin Hatch for placing supplements outside the purview of the FDA), much less the reasoning behind their choices. Many practitioners frankly reject empirical evidence as meaningless, so pointing out things like how aryuvedic remedies can cause lead poisoning or that the Law of Infintesimals violates basic physics will get you no-where with these "colleagues." While a review of how absurd the field is might be helpful to medical students, having a mandatory lecture conducted by a true believer without a hint of skepticism does no one any favors.

I'm doing a mastectomy today on a young woman with a fungating chest wall mass which her "doctor" has been "treating" with IV Vitamin C, etc. She clearly has metastatic disease with positive axillary and supraclav nodes but refuses any adjuvant treatment.

It frustrates me that we work diligently to take care of people, all the while facing the real possibility of litigation when things don't go well (or even if they do), and there are NDs out there (and we have loads here because we have some schools in town) *killing* patients with these unproven treatments. Despite what I do today in the OR, this women will almost assuredly die of her metastatic breast cancer before age 50. :(

Another case for http://whatstheharm.net/

I could spend a day adding cases; my patient today is far from the first (or last) one I've seen. They don't come to seek out Western medicine and its practitioners until its almost too late. Her tumor is so large I might not be able to close the skin once its removed; I've ordered a negative pressure dressing to the OR in case I have a large hole to fill.

Another memorable patient was adamant about not using the "toxins" that Western doctors prescribed for breast cancer, yet
1) she wanted me to wash her skin and irrigate her surgical wound with Dakin's solution (i.e., bleach)
2) her PET/CT scan showed the extensive Juvederm/collagen injections in her face and of course, the silicone implants in her breasts. o_O
3) she admitted to me, without a touch of irony, that she used Botox as well. Apparently that's not a "toxin".

Reactions: 8 users
Another memorable patient was adamant about not using the "toxins" that Western doctors prescribed for breast cancer, yet
1) she wanted me to wash her skin and irrigate her surgical wound with Dakin's solution (i.e., bleach)
2) her PET/CT scan showed the extensive Juvederm/collagen injections in her face and of course, the silicone implants in her breasts. o_O
3) she admitted to me, without a touch of irony, that she used Botox as well. Apparently that's not a "toxin".

I can't even

I could spend a day adding cases; my patient today is far from the first (or last) one I've seen. They don't come to seek out Western medicine and its practitioners until its almost too late. Her tumor is so large I might not be able to close the skin once its removed; I've ordered a negative pressure dressing to the OR in case I have a large hole to fill.

This, to me, makes more of a case for educating patients about basic chemistry and biology before haranguing physicians with a list of alternative medical modalities that they should be familiar with. For example, industrial bleach is also labeled "miracle mineral solution," and given as an enema to treat autism. I do not even get how a bleach enema could ever be confused for healthcare, but I guess that's why I didn't go into marketing.

You can expose yourself to this or get it in passing here and there in pharmacology (say for instance the teacher will note that some patients take a certain herbal that has a big DI) , why have lectures on it and NDs come into talk about it.

I agree it is better to be prepared, you are right. I just feel like it is better to say to the patient "I will look that up and discuss it with you next time".....OR, as you go through medical practice, look up stuff and learn on your own to prepare yourself about different things regarding Alt. Med that you feel necessary. One lecture isn't going to cover all the random stuff people take anyway.

I don't need an ND coming in and wasting my time with a lecture

Western medicine is not the end all be all. If it was no one would need to pursue alternative treatments.

There are a lot of reasons pursue alternative treatments. It's a fallacy to imply that it's only related to failure of or dissatisfaction with medicine.

Everyone of you supporting the teaching of this clown is wrong. Get a scientist that had studied this without a bias, not a clown that believes in it and can confuse students.

Everyone of you supporting the teaching of this clown is wrong. Get a scientist that had studied this without a bias, not a clown that believes in it and can confuse students.

If your status is accurate, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you start school.
:D

Get ready for the suck.

Then her and Jenny McCarthy have something in common.

You don't have to agree with CAM but you must be exposed to it. The more information you have concerning CAM the better you'll be able to educate your patients on the effects of such treatments.

You don't have to agree with CAM but you must be exposed to it. The more information you have concerning CAM the better you'll be able to educate your patients on the effects of such treatments.

An education is one thing, expsoure to propoganda from a true believer is another.

Now you know what your patients have been told and believe. How is this a bad thing again?

An education is one thing, expsoure to propoganda from a true believer is another.

Now you know what your patients have been told and believe. How is this a bad thing again?

Because, as OP pointed out, without appropriate caveats, it seems the school is endorsing the field/encouraging students to consider naturopathy equivalent to medicine.