NC surplus. For real this time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's almost like there are a bunch of people on these forums that got into pharmacy for the money, not the profession. But that would never happen, would it?

Plenty of people graduate with a humanities degree and 200k in debt, and they still figure something out. What, now you won't get a sign-on bonus, and you won't be able to pick and choose your job from five competitive offers? Waah.

Plenty of people graduate with a humanities degree and 200K of debt? Proof please.

And "a degree in humanities" doesn't necessarily mean a Doctorate-level degree and all the hard work that comes with it. A Pharm.D. degree requires a lot of time, effort and money. And quite frankly, it's not unreasonable to want a 6-figure salary as compensation. And while money isn't everything, it's certainly a lot more important when you have a mortgage in student loans to pay off. I'd be a Pharmacist for half the current median salary... if my cost of attendance were cut in half as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be a Pharmacist for half the current median salary... if my cost of attendance were cut in half as well.

How about cutting the amount of time spent in school by 50% too? Spending 6 to 8 years for a pharmd for half the salary and half to tuition still isn't worth it. Pharmacy is a profession with a low overall ceiling in terms of salary. You'd be better off getting a bachelors in a business related field, start a cr*p corporate job around 30K a year and work your way up while doing a part time MBA with tuition reimbursement from your employer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email for a chain in this neck o' the woods looking for 6 FT pharmacists including a manager and a PIC.

It's almost like there are a bunch of people on these forums that got into pharmacy for the money, not the profession. But that would never happen, would it?

Plenty of people graduate with a humanities degree and 200k in debt, and they still figure something out. What, now you won't get a sign-on bonus, and you won't be able to pick and choose your job from five competitive offers? Waah.

That's the exact reason I got into pharmacy. The money. 6 years, 6 figure salary? Why not? Sounded like a good investment to me. I personally couldn't give a s*it about my patients; I get paid and that's the only thing about the profession of pharmacy that I ever cared about.

Oh geez is there no room between caring for patients and wanting money? They are not mutually exclusive. I mean what is with having to pick between caring for patients and wanting to earn bank? False dichotomy I say!

I just got done reading this thread and it was epic. Thank you very much for the good time and I feel that the people involved should be reminded of all the things they have gone through here on SDN for the sake of pharmacy.

I know it's easier said than done, but just stop worrying about stuff you have no control over. I'm studying for the NAPLEX right now. I have it next Friday. I have the MPJE for SC and NC in a few weeks after that. I'm worried that if I fail, they'll just find someone else to put at the store I'm supposed to work at, but worrying isn't going to help. Just think ahead the best you can while still being able to focus on the task at hand. Since you're in pharmacy school, that is your number one priority. Take advantage of your rotations to network and stay in touch with people that may potentially help you find a job later on. If you have the opportunity to do a residency, do it. If you have the opportunity to complete the APhA immunization course, do that. It's scary right now. I live 15 minutes from Charlotte and for you to say that bothers me. But honestly, they are opening too many damn schools and the job market sucks. South University is opening a school in Columbia, SC and Presbyterian College is opening up one as well. That will make 4 pharmacy schools total in SC, and we don't need that many at all. Another thing that is hurting us is the number of foreign graduates coming into this country to work. When I did my NAPLEX review course a few weeks ago, I was shocked at the number of foreigners. My advice, if you are going to stay in the southeast, get licensed in NC, SC, and GA as quickly as you can. I didn't have the money to get an ATT for GA, but I definitely would have done it if I could have. You, just like many of us, are at the point of no return. You can't change career paths now without wasting an assload of time and money. We still have a better chance of finding a job compared to most people. I'm $120K in debt myself and it sucks. We just have to make the best of it.

Did you sign contract with them? even after signing contract they still can give the deal to someone else if you fail NAPLEX?

Did you sign contract with them? even after signing contract they still can give the deal to someone else if you fail NAPLEX?

Ya thats what happened to my friend. He failed the Naplex twice, and the company that he signed up with couldnt hold his positions any longer so they had to let him go... most company are only willing to pay up to 6 months for post-grad salaries...

But another thing to consider is that he signed on into an area that is highly desirable... If you are in an area that is in the middle of no where you really dont need to worry. Or if you interned at that company for years, usually most DM are willing to keep your position available until you pass.

But dont stress too much, Im sure you will do well on the exam.. if you were able to get through pharmacy school, you can get through anything else that comes your way!

Ya thats what happened to my friend. He failed the Naplex twice, and the company that he signed up with couldnt hold his positions any longer so they had to let him go... most company are only willing to pay up to 6 months for post-grad salaries...

But another thing to consider is that he signed on into an area that is highly desirable... If you are in an area that is in the middle of no where you really dont need to worry. Or if you interned at that company for years, usually most DM are willing to keep your position available until you pass.

But dont stress too much, Im sure you will do well on the exam.. if you were able to get through pharmacy school, you can get through anything else that comes your way!

so when you say 6 months post-grad, you mean 6 month after signing contract with them or 6 months after graduation? let say i sign a contract with a company right now while still at school (P4) and graduate on August instead of May what will happen? the 6 month starts from August or from today?

so when you say 6 months post-grad, you mean 6 month after signing contract with them or 6 months after graduation? let say i sign a contract with a company right now while still at school (P4) and graduate on August instead of May what will happen? the 6 month starts from August or from today?

Check the contract and how it is worded and ask questions before you sign it. They might do it that way where it counts down from the day you sign it (i.e. January to July) to make sure they aren't sitting there hurting for 6 months waiting on you to get licensed since they could hire another pharmacist by then who has that paperwork already completed.

However, it would logistically make sense to me to have 6 months from graduating to get licensed, especially if moving from one state to another. A lot of paperwork and everything needs to get done as well as having to take classes and learn another state's worth of laws (trying going from NC to NY for example, that would probably give some people fits.)

I could see it going either way, especially if it was CVS. They seem to do whatever they can to look like they are keeping their word then get around it at the last minute.

For example CVS gives you 90 days (or at least in my area) after your graduation date to pass Naplex. During that time you arent a registered pharmacist (bc you have yet to pass the boards) and you just graduated hence you are considered a "post grad".

So say you didnt pass the 1st time around, then NABP makes you wait 91 days before you can take the naplex again. Therefore with CVS they may be willing to wait for you to pass it the 2nd time around hence, you will have 6 months from the date of graduation, and you are still considered a post-grad and not a registered pharmacist.

But depending on how saturated you area is and how little of a relationship you have with either the DM or the company in general, then they can end your contract because you didnt meet their obligation for being ready in the allotted time. I would go back and read the offer letter every carefully, and also talk to the supervisors to give them a heads up whats going on with the NAPLEX. Some may be nice and may be willing to keep your position available, while others may not... it depends who your supervisor is.