NC surplus. For real this time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey all. So, had a very disconcerting day. I was part of the Wags internship program that started at the end of May and is supposed to last through the end of July. They called us to our regular Friday intern meeting and had us sit through a loss prevention and some service discussion for 3 hours before letting us know the intern ship program is being cut indefinitely without forewarning (last day next friday). According to them, techs need the hours more because its their livelihood (because I don't need to make money or anything to survive), the budget can't afford it, bsbsbs, etc.
Obviously, there were some angry people that vented. They said there is a definite surplus in North and South carolina of pharmacists, and that their new hires are not allowed to work more than 32 hours a week. Also, they've instituted a hiring freeze, indefinitely, for techs, pharmacists, and interns. Oh, and the cherry on top, when someone asked about our job prospects for when we graduate, I quote "I expect it will be very difficult to find a job for future graduates".
I am now freaking out because I will be $160k in the hole and I HAVE to work during the school year...hours which I can't get because 50 yo pharm tech over there needs the hours more. And my degree, according to wags, will be worthless.
I guess now I will definitely get that MPH or residency or MBA or anything to put me ahead.
Sorry if I've fear mongered anyone here, but that is the reality that's going on where I live.
Any advice on stopping the crazy worrying I'm going through now?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's easier said than done, but just stop worrying about stuff you have no control over. I'm studying for the NAPLEX right now. I have it next Friday. I have the MPJE for SC and NC in a few weeks after that. I'm worried that if I fail, they'll just find someone else to put at the store I'm supposed to work at, but worrying isn't going to help. Just think ahead the best you can while still being able to focus on the task at hand. Since you're in pharmacy school, that is your number one priority. Take advantage of your rotations to network and stay in touch with people that may potentially help you find a job later on. If you have the opportunity to do a residency, do it. If you have the opportunity to complete the APhA immunization course, do that. It's scary right now. I live 15 minutes from Charlotte and for you to say that bothers me. But honestly, they are opening too many damn schools and the job market sucks. South University is opening a school in Columbia, SC and Presbyterian College is opening up one as well. That will make 4 pharmacy schools total in SC, and we don't need that many at all. Another thing that is hurting us is the number of foreign graduates coming into this country to work. When I did my NAPLEX review course a few weeks ago, I was shocked at the number of foreigners. My advice, if you are going to stay in the southeast, get licensed in NC, SC, and GA as quickly as you can. I didn't have the money to get an ATT for GA, but I definitely would have done it if I could have. You, just like many of us, are at the point of no return. You can't change career paths now without wasting an assload of time and money. We still have a better chance of finding a job compared to most people. I'm $120K in debt myself and it sucks. We just have to make the best of it.

Hey all. So, had a very disconcerting day. I was part of the Wags internship program that started at the end of May and is supposed to last through the end of July. They called us to our regular Friday intern meeting and had us sit through a loss prevention and some service discussion for 3 hours before letting us know the intern ship program is being cut indefinitely without forewarning (last day next friday). According to them, techs need the hours more because its their livelihood (because I don't need to make money or anything to survive), the budget can't afford it, bsbsbs, etc.
Obviously, there were some angry people that vented. They said there is a definite surplus in North and South carolina of pharmacists, and that their new hires are not allowed to work more than 32 hours a week. Also, they've instituted a hiring freeze, indefinitely, for techs, pharmacists, and interns. Oh, and the cherry on top, when someone asked about our job prospects for when we graduate, I quote "I expect it will be very difficult to find a job for future graduates".
I am now freaking out because I will be $160k in the hole and I HAVE to work during the school year...hours which I can't get because 50 yo pharm tech over there needs the hours more. And my degree, according to wags, will be worthless.
I guess now I will definitely get that MPH or residency or MBA or anything to put me ahead.
Sorry if I've fear mongered anyone here, but that is the reality that's going on where I live.

Move to "Wal-mart country."

Well, that's up to you, but if you're willing to relocate, you can find something here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its the same with Walgreens here in Columbia, my stores hours got cut in half.... Just gotta find em where ya can, luckily I'm on rotation this month and couldn't work much anyway.

Thank you for the update. I know it is difficult for interns during this period of Walgreens unrest. My advice to you is to search for other summer jobs to keep your financial obligations low. Do not take the maximum loans given to you. Pharmacy world has changed greatly. We pray that there should be a way out for our graduates.

Pharmacists are a bunch of whiner. There is job saturation nearly in every profession, and the competition is good, assuming that it will weed out a few unqualified pharmacist.

For a final touch, you guy just have to suck it up because money won't grow on tree unless you work for it. Every profession need hardworking and determination. Period.

Pharmacists are a bunch of whiner. There is job saturation nearly in every profession, and the competition is good, assuming that it will weed out a few unqualified pharmacist.

For a final touch, you guy just have to suck it up because money won't grow on tree unless you work for it. Every profession need hardworking and determination. Period.

Yeah, the possibility of being 160K in debt with no decent paying job to pay it off isn't worthy of being worried about.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the possibility of being 160K in debt with no decent paying job to pay it off isn't worthy of being worried about.

:rolleyes:

He's right though. We do certainly whine a lot. Who isnt 100k+ in debt after college these days? Even most public schools are 25k/yr+ now. Private schools run 50k/yr.

He's right though. We do certainly whine a lot. Who isnt 100k+ in debt after college these days? Even most public schools are 25k/yr+ now. Private schools run 50k/yr.

That is addition to the undergrad loans.

...and those people are worried, too.

Just because everyone has to deal with it doesn't mean its not something worthy of anxiety.

I just hope this damned recession ends.

...and those people are worried, too.

Just because everyone has to deal with it doesn't mean its not something worthy of anxiety.

I just hope this damned recession ends.

Agreed, WVU. I live in the rural Midwest and I'm still concerned for the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Move to "Wal-mart country."

Well, that's up to you, but if you're willing to relocate, you can find something here.

Little Rock is super saturated. Even the hospital in Pine Bluff no longer has a full time position... now you know, that's pretty bad.... I don't know..maybe there are jobs in Dumas.. or Mena...or Batesville...

Little Rock is super saturated. Even the hospital in Pine Bluff no longer has a full time position... now you know, that's pretty bad.... I don't know..maybe there are jobs in Dumas.. or Mena...or Batesville...

There are always jobs in South Africa. Granted, they only make like $35k in US currency...but you can just ignore your student loans!!!

I was trying to point him/her towards NWA.

if you have a problem with the amount of schools opening up start a letter writing campaign on here to the Department of Education. Right now they are investigating for-profit schools. Just let them know obviously ACPE is a corrupt agency that isn't doing their job. They are lowing pharmacy standards when they should be strengthening them. I, for one, want a pharmacist with the max standards when dispensing my meds.

if you have a problem with the amount of schools opening up start a letter writing campaign on here to the Department of Education. Right now they are investigating for-profit schools. Just let them know obviously ACPE is a corrupt agency that isn't doing their job. They are lowing pharmacy standards when they should be strengthening them. I, for one, want a pharmacist with the max standards when dispensing my meds.

Unfortunately ACPE doesn't have to power to choose how many new schools open. Under their current structure they are obligated to accredit a school if they meet the standards.

umm you got no clue. people are coming out with 200k in debt and no way to repay that.

thats a big worry. how do pharmacists generate income? they don't, they get hired by someone else. there are no procedures or anything they bill out for. therefore pharmacy has no ability to save itself from the surplus.

what's an unqualified pharmacist? seems like all you need is a license and a heartbeat. seems like everyone is qualified OR the schools graduating these students wouldn't be accredited.

i would not want to be anyone graduating right now or in the next few yrs. in fact if i was a pharmacy major i would probably double major or switch majors altogether.

Unfortunately ACPE doesn't have to power to choose how many new schools open. Under their current structure they are obligated to accredit a school if they meet the standards.

i know ACPE doesn't control how many schools open as long as schools meet their standard. But their standard is lax and needs to be changed ASAP. Sending a letter campaign to the Board of education will definitely help. Right now they are trying to make for-profit institutions let people know their job rates after graduation and they are trying to crack down on these institutions so that people don't just get a diploma for the hell of it/with no jobs in sight. I think the Board of Education will listen if a letter campaign was done to it instead of all this whining and groaning.

I don't mind if more schools open up....but I would like quality schools to open up. Not that damn PCOM of Georgia, etc, etc.

“There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever”
as4.gif
Mahatma Gandhi quote

umm you got no clue. people are coming out with 200k in debt and no way to repay that.

thats a big worry. how do pharmacists generate income? they don't, they get hired by someone else. there are no procedures or anything they bill out for. therefore pharmacy has no ability to save itself from the surplus.

what's an unqualified pharmacist? seems like all you need is a license and a heartbeat. seems like everyone is qualified OR the schools graduating these students wouldn't be accredited.

i would not want to be anyone graduating right now or in the next few yrs. in fact if i was a pharmacy major i would probably double major or switch majors altogether.

i wish i could double major just in case I can't find a job. Unfortunately, I am in a 0-6 school....that doesn't give me a bachelors after my 4th year. If I can't find a job...I might go back to school. I like healthcare but I hate touching people and blood so I don't know what I could go into.

To the OP:

You could always open your own pharmacy.

Not many people are willing to take this step, so it's an option despite all the half-baked pharmacists graduating from the new junk schools.

However, beware of Obamacare. It's new and unknown, so opening an independent pharmacy is risky now. The government is rigged in favor of corporate chain pharmacies (See http://www.theangrypharmacist.com/archives/2010/02/antitrust-chainpbms-independents-and-you.html), and Obamacare may add to this effect.

I thought wal mart country was bentonville not little rock :p I know i know, all of AR is walmart country -_-

i know ACPE doesn't control how many schools open as long as schools meet their standard. But their standard is lax and needs to be changed ASAP. Sending a letter campaign to the Board of education will definitely help. Right now they are trying to make for-profit institutions let people know their job rates after graduation and they are trying to crack down on these institutions so that people don't just get a diploma for the hell of it/with no jobs in sight. I think the Board of Education will listen if a letter campaign was done to it instead of all this whining and groaning.

I don't mind if more schools open up....but I would like quality schools to open up. Not that damn PCOM of Georgia, etc, etc.

but what can WE DO? Will writing a simple letter do anything? I do think it's a start though.

Can someone write a letter on our behalf and can we just sign a petition or something?

Can we copy and paste with our signatures or e-signatures? What else can we do other than write a letter to the Board of Education?

Can we write to Apha or something else? Anyone have any suggestions. Lets be more pro-active. I will help in any way that I can. I can even write the letter, though I am only entering pharm school this fall.

Let me assist you...
nwa.jpg

I don't think you want to work there.

Damn you for beating me to this. Between NWA and CCR, suddenly this board is referencing a lot of music groups. Wonder how long before CVS unveils their new program, BTO.

but what can WE DO? Will writing a simple letter do anything? I do think it's a start though.

Can someone write a letter on our behalf and can we just sign a petition or something?

Can we copy and paste with our signatures or e-signatures? What else can we do other than write a letter to the Board of Education?

Can we write to Apha or something else? Anyone have any suggestions. Lets be more pro-active. I will help in any way that I can. I can even write the letter, though I am only entering pharm school this fall.

Even writing one letter can make a difference. Heck if we all write one letter or forward the letter to everyone in govnt' it can make a difference.

Someone can write a generic letter forward it around...and bombard ApHA or the Board of Education or maybe even your own state representative

If you want to write the letter that is great. I am not good at writing so much. I can list places to send the letter and if anyone wants in I can forward the letter.

As long as these schools are graduating qualified pharmacists, the government doesn't give a ****. It's not their job to interfere with the market to protect your special interests. Look at these for profit schools, charging just as much as pharmacy and graduating their students with real useless degrees. They won't do anything about that. The fact of the matter is if you don't like it, go into a different field. Otherwise, compete.

Isn't it remarkable that students who have not even started pharmacy school are taking tough to pharmacists? Btw, you are not a pharmacy student until you have attended one day of class. Stop acting fake already.

I practice in NC.

OP: What year are you in Rx school? Intern hours I know are being cut everywhere. You location is Cary, right? You might have to commute a bit to Siler City or other rural areas.

As long as these schools are graduating qualified pharmacists, the government doesn't give a ****. It's not their job to interfere with the market to protect your special interests. Look at these for profit schools, charging just as much as pharmacy and graduating their students with real useless degrees. They won't do anything about that. The fact of the matter is if you don't like it, go into a different field. Otherwise, compete.

do you not watch the news or something?? the department of education is doing something about for profit schools at the moment: http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...1/news06/For-profit+colleges+provoke+scrutiny or this http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/06/durbin_warns_of_for-profit_col.html

I am all for competition. It drives America. But why should I compete with someone for a job that graduated from a school that accepts low grade/GPA achieving students and lets them get thru with a minimal experience (since these new schools don't want to look bad by letting most/any their kids fail [since they only have like 50 kids per class]). And don't feed me this b.s that the NAPLEX is a great equalizer. I can't comment that it is an easy test cause I have never taken it. But I would like to see it become harder.....I think a 90 so percent pass rate (which I see a lot at most schools) is too high.

Retails don't care about joe smo that graduated pharm school from xyz to someone who graduated top of their class from UCSF even though they should. They are probably thinking how they can cut corners more effectively. Probably by cutting full time cause they get those pesky benefits. That way joe smo and the other person can be hired prn with no benefits since there is an oversupply of pharmacist

you seem like you want competition. You wait and see how it will be. You'd be lucky to find a job and even more lucky to get any sort of insurance benefit coverage for you and your family.

Oh and please don't start about how there are other opportunities in pharmacy. They are very far and in between.

Wow I have never seen so much self entitlement and whining in any field as I have seen pharmacy.

If you want to decide who gets to keep their jobs then you should have choose a different career path. Walgreen's is a business which needs to stay financially afloat or EVERYONE loses their jobs. Profits are its first priority NOT your student debt. No one cares about your debt.

And just because you have a degree doesn't mean you are entitled to a job whether its a associates degree or a PhD. Welcome to the real world. You are going to have to compete for a job someday- get used to it.

I already started studying for MCAT..
Pharmacy is overrated now...

So retail is my only option? :eek:

they are far and in between. Residency is competitive and you need to do a pgy2 to even be considered for a position....and probably have to change where you live to get one (not that you won't see this in retail). Also in the near future there is diff. going to be VERY LIMITED POSITIONS for a clinical hospital pharmacy specialist.

Right now there is limited positions in nuclear and industry and I don't see that market really expanding in the future.

Most people do retail because it is the only place that really has a lot of position...

I think you friggin cry-babies should quit school and run home to mama. Who in God's name knows what the labor market will be when you graduate? Go to school, learn the material and become a good pharmacist. Do a residency if you want to. But jeepers creepers, quit the pissin n moanin. Is this a pharmacy board or a death watch? I want the person who predicted the economy would tank and that pharmacy jobs would collapse to come front & center. Since nobody predicted this you can bet your ass nobody knows what's gonna happen 5 years from now.....

Either that or score some Xanax and chill out....

The economy will continue to be worsen unless we repent. America has gone too far from her original faith in God. This is a wake up call for all of us. Stop abortion, pornography and pray to God that he will not remove the blessing from America.

Medical School is overrated :thumbdown:

working is overrated. figure out a way to be your own boss. every day you work will be meaningful. you wont do dumb things that have no purpose. everything you do will be important to longterm success.

The economy will continue to be worsen unless we repent. America has gone too far from her original faith in God. This is a wake up call for all of us. Stop abortion, pornography and pray to God that he will not remove the blessing from America.

3587uc0.gif

Are you an idiot. Can you know the difference between profession and religion ????

Do you even know what we are talking about ???????

I think you friggin cry-babies should quit school and run home to mama. Who in God's name knows what the labor market will be when you graduate? Go to school, learn the material and become a good pharmacist. Do a residency if you want to. But jeepers creepers, quit the pissin n moanin. Is this a pharmacy board or a death watch? I want the person who predicted the economy would tank and that pharmacy jobs would collapse to come front & center. Since nobody predicted this you can bet your ass nobody knows what's gonna happen 5 years from now.....

Either that or score some Xanax and chill out....

i predicted pharmacy would tank back in 2008. do i win the prize
Miss_Cleo.jpg

Would you care to elaborate? Is there some study that shows there is a relationship between religiosity in the US and economic health? I really would like to know.....

Would you care to elaborate? Is there some study that shows there is a relationship between religiosity in the US and economic health? I really would like to know.....

There is a link between the two. The September 11 incident was a warning from God that we all should repent. However, we not only rejected his warning, but also continue to do wrong. This is why our economy was collapsed because God has taken the blessing away from us. You may not believe what I am saying, but unless you believe we, America, will continue sinking deeper. Everyday, we are crying for jobs, we are waiting for economy to get better, we are blaming the bad economy to cause us unemployed but we forgot to blame ourself for living in ungodly ways.

I'm used to looking at a 25 cent coin saying "in God we trust", and wondering how many of us even remember God.

There is a link between the two. The September 11 incident was a warning from God that we all should repent. However, we not only rejected his warning, but also continue to do wrong. This is why our economy was collapsed because God has taken the blessing away from us. You may not believe what I am saying, but unless you believe we, America, will continue sinking deeper. Everyday, we are crying for jobs, we are waiting for economy to get better, we are blaming the bad economy to cause us unemployed but we forgot to blame ourself for living in ungodly ways.

I'm used to looking at a 25 cent coin saying "in God we trust", and wondering how many of us even remember God.

You are the most stupid person I ever meet, talking about thing that you have no evidence/study whatsoever.

At first, you try to link pharmacy with religion, and now you try to link God with a 25 cent coin. :eek:

once again, citation? or are you the first to notice this?

And yet China with all its Atheists is becoming an economic powerhouse.