NBME form 1 = easy cheesy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TacoGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took from 1 from the NBME. I got a 254!!! I still have several weeks of studying left so I was not expecting this high of a score!

I've heard this test is too easy and not representative of the real deal. Should I kick back and relax or not take this score too seriously?

Anybody out there have an idea?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I just took from 1 from the NBME. I got a 254!!! I still have several weeks of studying left so I was not expecting this high of a score!

I've heard this test is too easy and not representative of the real deal. Should I kick back and relax or not take this score too seriously?

u shouldnt kick back and relax...however, i do hear that they scale the test accordingly (ie u have to get more right to get a higher score) so u did great..

congrats!

I wish someone would have told me this: Don't be fooled. Take them all and average them out to see where you really stand. I scored 220+ on form 1 four days out, thought this ensured I was ready to at least pass, then the bottom fell out the actual day of the exam=182=Fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish someone would have told me this: Don't be fooled. Take them all and average them out to see where you really stand. I scored 220+ on form 1 four days out, thought this ensured I was ready to at least pass, then the bottom fell out the actual day of the exam=182=Fail.

a 500 on NBME 1 and fail the exam you just gave me the bejevus, I knew it was really easy and not good to predict the score, but I taiught that at least a 500 was a passing grade.

thanks for sharing,

wow, man...that really sucks. I am sorry that happened to you. Why is form 1 even offered as an assessment then? It could mislead many people. And it is sad because we all pay money (hard to come by as a student!) to get these exams and somewhat expect them to be representative.

Your 220 turned into 182 (-40 points) so that does that mean 250 is really 210? CRAZY! Anyway....back to the books!

I took form 2 as a pre-prep assessment. Is it a better predictor?

wow, man...that really sucks. I am sorry that happened to you. Why is form 1 even offered as an assessment then? It could mislead many people. And it is sad because we all pay money (hard to come by as a student!) to get these exams and somewhat expect them to be representative.

Your 220 turned into 182 (-40 points) so that does that mean 250 is really 210? CRAZY! Anyway....back to the books!
Thanks. Sort of sucks, but I guess someone has to be the anomaly. I have a few solid excuses, but mostly, I have no idea what happened. I'll try to remember to post my form 2, 3, & 4 scores and retake step 1 score so that maybe someone can get something from it.

The real thing is not that different from 1. I took it last week, and it was for the most part not that bad at all! it was much easier then Q-bank, which worries me because I made so many stupid mistakes. The exam didn't ask about mechanisms and drug interactions, well maybe 2 or 3 questions, but asked instead about applications. like you have this disease, what should you do? And it was only long if you read the whole question. The end of the question actually gives you the name of the disease and now all you have to do is figure out what the treatment is. I am kind of mad because I studied all wrong for this test, I shouldn't have focused on mechanisms. All you have to do is know concepts and how to apply them, which is a lot easier to do then memorize detailed stuff .

What do WE as second years know about treatment? Beyond what drugs to give what have we really learned in terms of managing disease. We first have to understand the disease itself, the science behind it, before we can think about treating it. That sounds more like step 2 material. I though this was a basic science exam?

one minute people are saying the test is morphing into molecular bio (read cell bio high yield, ect, ect) and the next its morphing into step 2.

which is it!!!!???

The real thing is not that different from 1. I took it last week, and it was for the most part not that bad at all! it was much easier then Q-bank, which worries me because I made so many stupid mistakes. The exam didn't ask about mechanisms and drug interactions, well maybe 2 or 3 questions, but asked instead about applications. like you have this disease, what should you do? And it was only long if you read the whole question. The end of the question actually gives you the name of the disease and now all you have to do is figure out what the treatment is. I am kind of mad because I studied all wrong for this test, I shouldn't have focused on mechanisms. All you have to do is know concepts and how to apply them, which is a lot easier to do then memorize detailed stuff .
Might have been true for the exam you took, but the one I had was nothing like form 1. Nothing. So be forewarned: survey all the NBME forms to get a good idea of what it's like.

For some reason, the title of this thread makes me smile every time I open SDN. Thank you. :thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took form 2 and got a 247. My score (from 254) did drop even after a week of intense studying.

I guess this goes to show that form 1 = easy cheesy compared to other exams. Its depressing to see a drop after studying for a week though.

Does anybody out there know if this is a normal drop or if I should alter my study methods now with two and 1/2 weeks till test?

dude, I hope you are kidding. Unless you are aiming for that dermatology spot in harvard, then you're screwed!

they're within the same confidence interval anyway with so few questions :\

So if I have form 1 and 3 and am <4 weeks out which should I take now?

i wouldn't use the words 'easy cheesy' but i did think the questions were quite a bit easier than UW or Kaplan's Qbank (score 640/247). i had a fair number of one-step reasoning questions on this form, which i don't think exist on UW questions. actually, i heard they dont even exist on the step 1 test, so i was surprised to see so many of them on here. i dunno how much this helps, but i'll post my form 2 score and let u know if it drops.

Took form 1 one week into studying and got 450,206. Thought the questions were not that difficult however they were really short and you either knew it or you didn't, not much reasoning. Took NBME 2 today 10 days after form 1, got 580,236. Form 2 requires more reasoning and secondary questions, which not sure how they are on form 3/4, but definetly a different kind of difficulty compared to form 1.

i wouldn't use the words 'easy cheesy' but i did think the questions were quite a bit easier than UW or Kaplan's Qbank (score 640/247). i had a fair number of one-step reasoning questions on this form, which i don't think exist on UW questions. actually, i heard they dont even exist on the step 1 test, so i was surprised to see so many of them on here. i dunno how much this helps, but i'll post my form 2 score and let u know if it drops.

When I took the USMLE released items, I thought there were a number of straightforward, one-step questions. And those are previous exam questions, some of which people have said they've seen on their own Step 1 in the past. I don't think they're the norm, but I think there are some questions that are straightforward.

I'm 2 weeks in and just took form 1 today - Um - HI!! I got a frieking 440 --> 204 - ACK! Granted I just want a damn 220 - what is going on? I'm super nervous that passing is the problem at this point. Advice from any average students?

I was talking to someone recently, an educator, that took a test-writing course once. He told me that 'experimental' questions are eventually administered as scored items after about 2-3 years. The inclusion criteria involved having 60% or more of test takers choosing the same answer choice for each experimental question. Now whether or not this is the case with USMLE, I don't know, but seems plausible. Could exlpain why the forms 3&4 are tougher than the first 2.

Just took form 3 after TWO weeks of studying....245. Let's recap:

Form 1 two weeks ago: 254
Form 2 one week ago: 247
Form 3 today: 245

WTF!!!!!!

Does anybody else have these kind of drops or is it just me? I have to admit that it gets a little frustrating to see the drops every week. I'm shooting for the 250 mark but with all these slipping numbers I just don't know.

i'm not taking form 4...but I will post my eventual grade for the Step (in two weeks).

lol, if you keep complaining about those high scores you're going to make a lot of people depressed! :scared:

i'm sorry..I just wanted to know if its normal to see my score drop 9 points after studying for two weeks.

I apologize if it discourages anyone.

Did your score breakdown change at all?

Maybe since forms 2 and 3 have more molecular questions than form 1?

i'm sorry..I just wanted to know if its normal to see my score drop 9 points after studying for two weeks.

I apologize if it discourages anyone.

I have a 370 on NBME 3, will you like to trade your grade:D

Dont worry you dont discourage nobody, Im the abnormal one on the site, and Im not discourage at all;)

WTF!!!!!!

Does anybody else have these kind of drops or is it just me? I have to admit that it gets a little frustrating to see the drops every week. I'm shooting for the 250 mark but with all these slipping numbers I just don't know.

i'm not taking form 4...but I will post my eventual grade for the Step (in two weeks).
Consistency is a definite indicator that you are well within your desired range. My friend scored 20 points above his form 1 score, and he scored around a 215 on form 1. Obviously, the higher the score, the more progressively difficult it gets point for point. So for you to hit 250, my guess would be, based upon the myriad of threads I've read, it will take a strong performance on test day and also an element of luck. I think you are well within range, and you are certainly consistent across what appears to be very different forms. Plug away!

WTF!!!!!!

Hi there, since no one has pointed this out I just wanted to say you may be simply experiencing regression to the mean. You did so well the first time that you most likely had some element of luck (i.e. they just happened to ask you the things you knew). I don't think you are getting "dumber" by any means. The thing is that when you get these sorts of stratospheric scores there is often luck involved and thus it's very hard to duplicate or beat the score later. Does that make sense? For example, in high school I made a 1480 on the SAT, 800 V and 680 M. My mother wanted me to re-take so I could break 700 on math, but I refused because my verbal score would have almost certainly been impossible to duplicate because of regression to the mean; I simply had an element of luck the first time.

As far as the theory that there is significant difference between the various NBME forms (usually the theory is that form 1 is the easiest and form 3 the hardest), I have not found this to be the case. I've been taking one a week to guage my performance, and took form 1, then 2 then 3. My scores followed a more predictable trajectory, going from 230 to 240 to 253. Since I DIDN'T start off with an extremely high score like you did, it was much easier to go up. I will take form 4 this weekend but I won't be dissapointed if it goes down a bit--I'll just chalk it up to regression to the mean since 253 is a very high score (You still managed to beat me by one point w/ your initial score though, congrats)

Hope this helps. Obviously no one "knows" for sure what the predictive value difference between forms is but in my experience they all felt about the same. Hope this helps or reassures at least one person here! :)

just took form 1 with a 590/238. was pretty happy with it since i have not studied pathology, anatomy, behavorial sciences or embryology yet. how much more difficult do the forms get from here? advice appreciated!

tacogirl, my scores are on the decline too, after 10-12 hrs of studying per day (although i didnt start as high as you did).

Form 1 (3 days of Biochem review): 247
Form 2 (finished review of all MS1 material): 244
Form 3 (finished review of half of organ systems): 240

any advice? what r u doing to break the trend/

WTF!!!!!!

very interesting some one that I know gt the same score on NBME1, and he took it 1 week before the test.

And I got a 450 YUPI YUPI YUPI :biglove::banana:

wao

tacogirl, my scores are on the decline too, after 10-12 hrs of studying per day (although i didnt start as high as you did).

Maybe you should stop taking NBME forms and just take the real thing before you lose more brain cells.

Well, I caved....I took form 4. And finally the sorrow is gone!

Drumroll.....256!!! YAY! :D

Now if only I can pull that off next week! I think I'm just going to read first aid now and not learn a single new thing for the next week.

Hi there, since no one has pointed this out I just wanted to say you may be simply experiencing regression to the mean. You did so well the first time that you most likely had some element of luck (i.e. they just happened to ask you the things you knew). I don't think you are getting "dumber" by any means. The thing is that when you get these sorts of stratospheric scores there is often luck involved and thus it's very hard to duplicate or beat the score later. Does that make sense? For example, in high school I made a 1480 on the SAT, 800 V and 680 M. My mother wanted me to re-take so I could break 700 on math, but I refused because my verbal score would have almost certainly been impossible to duplicate because of regression to the mean; I simply had an element of luck the first time.

As far as the theory that there is significant difference between the various NBME forms (usually the theory is that form 1 is the easiest and form 3 the hardest), I have not found this to be the case. I've been taking one a week to guage my performance, and took form 1, then 2 then 3. My scores followed a more predictable trajectory, going from 230 to 240 to 253. Since I DIDN'T start off with an extremely high score like you did, it was much easier to go up. I will take form 4 this weekend but I won't be dissapointed if it goes down a bit--I'll just chalk it up to regression to the mean since 253 is a very high score (You still managed to beat me by one point w/ your initial score though, congrats)

Hope this helps. Obviously no one "knows" for sure what the predictive value difference between forms is but in my experience they all felt about the same. Hope this helps or reassures at least one person here! :)

one of the more intelligent posts i've read in a while.

go to www.nbme.org
click on services for medical students and graduates
click on self assessment services
create an account
purchase a CBSSA exam
etc

I have 11 days and counting. Ive been doing qbank consistently, and did the free NBME exam. Ill be taking form 2 and possibly one other before the exam. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

Update: Form 2: 20 points lower than the free NBME. Still not bad tho...

Did it seem to anyone else that the distribution of questions across subjects varies among the NBME tests? I took form 1 a little over a week ago and thought it was pretty heavy on biochem and immunology compared to form 2 (which I took today). I went up 15 points from one to the other, but I don't know whether to chalk it up to studying or to a heavier focus on path/micro, which are my stronger subjects. Thoughts?

The tests are the exact same, but the block order changes from person to person.

So - a little update

Took Form 1, 2 weeks after studying and got a 440 --> 204
Took Form 2, after 5 weeks of studying and got a 550 --> 230

Hopefully on an upward trend? I have a little under two weeks to get it done -

I hear form 3 is tough - so we'll see

So - a little update

Took Form 1, 2 weeks after studying and got a 440 --> 204
Took Form 2, after 5 weeks of studying and got a 550 --> 230

Hopefully on an upward trend? I have a little under two weeks to get it done -

I hear form 3 is tough - so we'll see

That's about where I am too: NBME1=209, 2=226. I'm also dreading the fact that 3 and 4 are "harder". But, I've been focusing on my weak areas, so hopefully that'll offset. My impression is that the NBMEs don't seem to distribute the various subjects very evenly. For example, I've only taken 2 exams, but I haven't noticed much anatomy on either.

But, I don't really get this "hard" and "easy" thing. I mean, these tests are curved...so, all that should already be taken into account. I've kind of resolved to use the NBMEs to

1) find my weaknesses
2) approximate my usmle score by +- 10, using my average score on the NBME, with equal weight being given to each one.

Might have been true for the exam you took, but the one I had was nothing like form 1. Nothing. So be forewarned: survey all the NBME forms to get a good idea of what it's like.
Not everyone is lucky enough to see Step 1 twice, but I did today. All I can is that there is EXTREME differences in these "same" exams. The first one I took--after scoring 220+ on NBME Form 1--was INCREDIBLY difficult compared to the one I took today. I counted the questions that I believed I had correct on my 2nd round exam today--finally tally=248/350. Not perfect, but a helluva lot more than I am certain that I had last time (after scoring 182). I'm not sure how the questions are weighted and divvied up, but there surely is a significant disparity. I took the first one a few mos ago, put a bit of time into studying again, and maybe I just studied smarter this time, but there was a world of difference in how I felt coming out of the 1st exam versus today's 2nd chance Step 1 exam. Just thought I'd share my experience. Feel free to pose any questions that you might have.