NBME for starting dedicated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I browsed a bit on the search forum but didn't find what I was looking for, so I'm hoping I'll get some input here!

I've read a lot about the NBMEs being different in terms of their difficulty, as well as the test simply evolving over time and therefore making some of the more recent NBMEs more predictive in terms of question stems and content. With that being said, what order should a student take them in?(assuming they are going to take all the NBMEs before they hit their actual test date)

I recognize that there probably isn't a perfect way to do it, but I have no doubt that some people have found that there is a better way to do it than simply starting with 12 and going all the way up to 19? But let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure that it matters that much. The NBMEs are useful tool to gauge your knowledge base, but that’s about it. I would just take them in reverse order (12 through 19) and focus your attention on UFAP + Sketchy.

I started with 12 about 3 months out and took a new one at decreasing intervals as test day got closer. It was helpful to see progress, but I didn’t spend much time reviewing, as it’s kind of cumbersome to peruse Internet forums for your wrong answers.

I started with Uworld 1 on the first day of dedicated, then Uworld 2 after the first week. As expected, my score dropped like 10-15 points when I did my first NBME 1 week after that. But in reality Uworld 1 and NBME 17 were my closest predictors of actual score, so I guess it doesn't matter which you start with.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many are you going to take overall?

If I had to go back I would start with the offline NBMEs to get the feel of how the questions are phrased, then do 12-16, UWSA1, 17-18, UWSA2, and then 19 if you feel like it won't crush your confidence.

I’m not sure that it matters that much. The NBMEs are useful tool to gauge your knowledge base, but that’s about it. I would just take them in reverse order (12 through 19) and focus your attention on UFAP + Sketchy.

I started with 12 about 3 months out and took a new one at decreasing intervals as test day got closer. It was helpful to see progress, but I didn’t spend much time reviewing, as it’s kind of cumbersome to peruse Internet forums for your wrong answers.
are internet forums the only places to get answers and answer explanations? when you actually buy the NBME, there's no answers?

are internet forums the only places to get answers and answer explanations? when you actually buy the NBME, there's no answers?
It just shows you the questions you missed. It doesn’t provide the correct answer or an explanation, so the only way to figure out is to go hunting on forums where (probably illegal) copies of the exam are posted.

So what do people think of the two Uworld practice exams? Should those be used as a fair indicator, or are they too different from NBMEs?

So what do people think of the two Uworld practice exams? Should those be used as a fair indicator, or are they too different from NBMEs?
They can be a good predictor for some people. I think you should take your result with a grain of salt, or realize your score will likely be in +/- 10 range of it. For example, it over-predicted my score by about 10. the NBME's under-predicted my score by about 10 (I only took 2 of them).

Reactions: 1 user
My score on step 1 was the same as my score on UW, but UW consistently was a lot higher than nbmes. I however think NBME is a better representation, I just think I got lucky.

From what I read, NBME exams will now have answers. This is something that is new as of this year.

My score on step 1 was the same as my score on UW, but UW consistently was a lot higher than nbmes. I however think NBME is a better representation, I just think I got lucky.

From what I read, NBME exams will now have answers. This is something that is new as of this year.
such a rip off if they didn't IMO. $60 a piece

i remember paying ~$100 for a bundle of 7 or so official practice MCATs back in the day. and they had answer explanations

such a rip off if they didn't IMO. $60 a piece

i remember paying ~$100 for a bundle of 7 or so official practice MCATs back in the day. and they had answer explanations

Good old MCAT days....I dont believe these will have explanations, just answers. Huge rip off.