MD & DO Can doing anking no dupes shelf tagged cards inflate nbme practice exam scores for shelf exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Third year studying for shelves using anking no dupes shelf tagged cards. I am wondering if this deck contains cards made from things on the CMS forms? I mean it doesn't matter as long as I learn but I use the cms forms to see where I am so I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Those same concepts are going to be on the shelf exam. Sure, it may inflate your practice exam scores but should also 'inflate' your shelf scores if you're learning from em ;)

Those same concepts are going to be on the shelf exam. Sure, it may inflate your practice exam scores but should also 'inflate' your shelf scores if you're learning from em ;)
Would you say I should take my practice exam scores with a grain of salt then? If creators of anking made cards from their incorrects on the cms forms

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say I should take my practice exam scores with a grain of salt then? If creators of anking made cards from their incorrects on the cms forms
Nope, it's fine

There are limited concepts on a shelf exam, getting them right because you understood it from an anki card means you understood the concept -doesn't matter if they were made from incorrects from a practice exam, would only matter if the card was the exact question with the exact answer choices with no regard to the concept being tested.

Reactions: 1 user
Only if you're doing the really old, discontinued exams, sometimes. There are a few images and buzzwords on there that I could recognize instantly.

They don't use those images or buzzwords anymore, though. Those old NBMEs and CMS are not reliable anymore anyway, but they're good practice, still.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, it's fine

There are limited concepts on a shelf exam, getting them right because you understood it from an anki card means you understood the concept -doesn't matter if they were made from incorrects from a practice exam, would only matter if the card was the exact question with the exact answer choices with no regard to the concept being tested.
Only if you're doing the really old, discontinued exams, sometimes. There are a few images and buzzwords on there that I could recognize instantly.

They don't use those images or buzzwords anymore, though. Those old NBMEs and CMS are not reliable anymore anyway, but they're good practice, still.

Do you know how helpful the shelf tagged cards in anking are for step 2 and shelves? I have not used anki before. Would you say it’s a game changer? I have been unsuspending around 50 cards per day.

I have done OKish on my previous shelves but below 50th percentiles so I would like to improve.

Last edited: