nbme 4 scoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbad8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only threads I found on this are a couple years old and it seems the scoring has changed since then. I'm currently studying for step 2 and took NBME 4...and was kinda shocked at my score. It was lower than I thought it would be at this point. Has anyone else taken 4 for step 2 and thought the scoring was weird? I got 84% (30 wrong) which gave me a 226. I'm about to finish my first pass of uworld with a 62% avg, which is roughly 10 pts above my avg for step 1 so I figured this NBME would give me at least my step 1 score, if not higher... clearly not the case.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Felt the same. It´s quite shocking but it´s based on a curve. NBMEs for CK seem to have greater variance. Some people score 10-20 higher than their last NBME and for others its very accurate. It is very tricky since you don´t know which group you belong to until it´s too late :(

The only threads I found on this are a couple years old and it seems the scoring has changed since then. I'm currently studying for step 2 and took NBME 4...and was kinda shocked at my score. It was lower than I thought it would be at this point. Has anyone else taken 4 for step 2 and thought the scoring was weird? I got 84% (30 wrong) which gave me a 226. I'm about to finish my first pass of uworld with a 62% avg, which is roughly 10 pts above my avg for step 1 so I figured this NBME would give me at least my step 1 score, if not higher... clearly not the case.

Thoughts?

I think it has a harsher curve, I just finished my first pass through uworld with 71% correct, I haven't read any books yet. I got 19 questions wrong, score of 560/250

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just did nbme 4 as a baseline for my prep.

Result showed total incorrect as 86*

And assessment score as 10.

Having NOT omitted even a single question, if my incorrect answers are 86 -- the remaining answers ie. 184-86 = 98, must be probably right. If that is the case how can i have a minimum score of 10 with 98 correct answers.

I am not getting any idea of the assessment report. PLEASE HELP