USMLE NBME 18 - Questions and Answers - Discussions & Explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAberrantGene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NBME 18 has been released and is available on regular and extended feedback.
I will be taking it fairly soon as my exam is around the corner.
Let's continue the great trend on this forum and start a discussion once people start taking it,

Best of luck fellas ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 420
yeah and i got this wrong somehow. straight forward x linked recessive stuff. i hope i dont make this kinda blunders in the real exam
If it makes you feel any better, I got this wrong too. Also the cystic fibrosis pedigree question. ALTHOUGH I do understand this topic.

Reactions: 1 user
is this autosomal

monday...i was stress free until this morning. i dont know what happened.

Good luck! And just be glad you made any silly mistakes beforehand... I goofed and overlooked quite a few I was wondering what the heck I was thinking during. Now we will be more aware.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys, can someone provide a brief one sentence explanation (I really need explanation, not just correct answer) for these please. And THANK YOU in advance:

1. A 10 year old boy has nosebleeds and bruising. Three weeks ago had URI. PE shows ecchymosis. Hemoglobin and leukocyte count is normal but there is decreased platelet count. Bone marrow shows increased megakaryocytes. Which platelet abnormality is causing the findings?

A. Antibodies against glycoprotein IIb/IIIa
B. Decreased binding of Gp1a/IIa to collagen
C. Decreased concentration of Gp1B/IX
D. Decreased concentration of GpIIb/IIIa
E. Decreased synthesis of thromboxane A2
F. Deficient binding of vWf to Gp1b/IX

2. 25 year old woman with polycystic kidneys has fatigue, headaches, HTN, loss of appetite, itching. Creatinine is 4 mg/dL. State whether these are increased decreased or normal:

HCO3-
Inorganic PO4
PTH

3. Herniated lumbar intervertebral disc asking for most appropriate location for surgical entrance to neural canal?

4. 45 year old man comes to physician for follow up after appendectomy. There is mild scleral icterus and well healing surgical incision. Lab values show
Total bilirubin 3.2
Direct: 0.2
Indirect 3 mg/dL

What explains this?

A. Cholelithiasis
B. Gilbert
C. Hepatitis
D. Liver failure
E. Surgical bile duct trauma (wrong)

5. Man comes to doc for cast removal. Fracture of left humerus that required open reduction, internal fixation, cast immobilization. Muscle strength is 2/5 with extension of elbow and 1/5 with extension of wrist and fingers. Patient most likely sustained a fracture at (which location in humerus)?

A. Coronoid fossa
B. Distal shaft (wrong)
C. Medial epicondyle
D. Radial groove
E. Surgical neck

6. Question with Aortic aneurysm- it had history of smoking and HTN, and I know it said visible pulsation but also said murmur in second right intercostal space. So I chose Aortic Stenosis. How does this question make sense? Why can it NOT be aortic stenosis?

7. Old woman with bruising on forearms, wrinking, erythematous patches on face, brown macules. Echhymoses in various stages of healing. CBC and coagulation studies normal. What is causing ecchymoses:

A. Exocytosis of lymphocytes
B. Extensive solar elastosis (what is this??)
C. Impaired platelet function
D. UV destruction by Langerhans in epidermis

8. Woman with Pagets has right knee showing fracture of tibia and elevated periosteum and sunburst pattern (So Giant cell tumor?) Xray shows pul nodules of various sizes. What is the most likely finding on biopsy of tibia?

A. Closely packed, small, round, uniform neoplastic cels
B. Clusters of mucin-producing neoplastic cells forming glands
C. Neoplastic chondrocytes filing lacunes
D. Neoplastic plasma cells in sheets
E. Pleomorphic neoplastic cells producing new woven bone (why is this right?)

9. Woman with PID has surgical resection of scarred segment. What is going to be found in resected specimen?

A. Basophils
B. Eosinophils
C. Macrophages (dont tell me its this....whyy though?)
D. Mast cells
E. Neutrophils

10. Woman comes because of numbness, blanching, bluish color to ears, following emotional upset or exposure to cold. Avoid which drug?

A. Acetaminophen
B. Dextromethorphan
C. Diphenhydramine
D. Ibuprofen
E. Phenylephrine

THANKS a lot!!!

Hello guys, can someone provide a brief one sentence explanation (I really need explanation, not just correct answer) for these please. And THANK YOU in advance:

1. A 10 year old boy has nosebleeds and bruising. Three weeks ago had URI. PE shows ecchymosis. Hemoglobin and leukocyte count is normal but there is decreased platelet count. Bone marrow shows increased megakaryocytes. Which platelet abnormality is causing the findings?

2. 25 year old woman with polycystic kidneys has fatigue, headaches, HTN, loss of appetite, itching. Creatinine is 4 mg/dL. State whether these are increased decreased or normal:

HCO3-
Inorganic PO4
PTH

3. Herniated lumbar intervertebral disc asking for most appropriate location for surgical entrance to neural canal?

4. 45 year old man comes to physician for follow up after appendectomy. There is mild scleral icterus and well healing surgical incision. Lab values show
Total bilirubin 3.2
Indirect 3 mg/dL

What explains this?

A. Cholelithiasis
B. Gilbert
C. Hepatitis
D. Liver failure

5. Man comes to doc for cast removal. Fracture of left humerus that required open reduction, internal fixation, cast immobilization. Muscle strength is 2/5 with extension of elbow and 1/5 with extension of wrist and fingers. Patient most likely sustained a fracture at (which location in humerus)?

A. Coronoid fossa
B. Distal shaft (wrong)
C. Medial epicondyle
D. Radial groove
E. Surgical neck

6. Question with Aortic aneurysm- it had history of smoking and HTN, and I know it said visible pulsation but also said murmur in second right intercostal space. So I chose Aortic Stenosis. How does this question make sense? Why can it NOT be aortic stenosis?

7. Old woman with bruising on forearms, wrinking, erythematous patches on face, brown macules. Echhymoses in various stages of healing. CBC and coagulation studies normal. What is causing ecchymoses:

8. Woman with Pagets has right knee showing fracture of tibia and elevated periosteum and sunburst pattern (So Giant cell tumor?) Xray shows pul nodules of various sizes. What is the most likely finding on biopsy of tibia?

9. Woman with PID has surgical resection of scarred segment. What is going to be found in resected specimen?

A. Basophils
B. Eosinophils
D. Mast cells
E. Neutrophils

10. Woman comes because of numbness, blanching, bluish color to ears, following emotional upset or exposure to cold. Avoid which drug?

A. Acetaminophen
B. Dextromethorphan
C. Diphenhydramine
D. Ibuprofen
E. Phenylephrine

THANKS a lot!!!
1.A...... this question is related to immune thrombocytopenia.there is some viral illness that causes the formation of antibodies which form antibody platelet complex which then is consumed by spleen. increased megakaryocytes because of platelet deficiency
2. increased creatinine means renal failure> increased PTH> increased PO4 decreased HCO3
3. for this lamina is the answer because this is the only place which doesnt lie directly on a nerve or spinal cord. i dont remember the option number
4. this is gilberts. look at the lab values and detailed explanation in first aid
5. radial groove. radial nerve is damaged giving smptoms
6. stenosis never gives visible pulsation and mostly stenosis gives a ejection click with a crescendo decrescendo murmur.
7. i dont know much about this one. i had this wrong too
8. this is close to pagets disease's histology. look up in the first aid. thats how i chose this answer
9. well this is inflammation and scarring & macrophages come in handy during scar formation
10. E................dont give them alpha agonists. they will blanch even more!!

feel free to correct me. i explained these questions using my own rationale which may be wrong.

1.A...... this question is related to immune thrombocytopenia.there is some viral illness that causes the formation of antibodies which form antibody platelet complex which then is consumed by spleen. increased megakaryocytes because of platelet deficiency
2. increased creatinine means renal failure> increased PTH> increased PO4 decreased HCO3
3. for this lamina is the answer because this is the only place which doesnt lie directly on a nerve or spinal cord. i dont remember the option number
4. this is gilberts. look at the lab values and detailed explanation in first aid
5. radial groove. radial nerve is damaged giving smptoms
6. stenosis never gives visible pulsation and mostly stenosis gives a ejection click with a crescendo decrescendo murmur.
7. i dont know much about this one. i had this wrong too
8. this is close to pagets disease's histology. look up in the first aid. thats how i chose this answer
9. well this is inflammation and scarring & macrophages come in handy during scar formation
10. E................dont give them alpha agonists. they will blanch even more!!

feel free to correct me. i explained these questions using my own rationale which may be wrong.

For #8. the x-ray suggests Codman triangle and this leads to diagnosis of osteosarcoma. and biopsy reveals pleomorphic cells that produce osteoid. So the answer is E. A is ewing sa

HCO3-
Inorganic PO4
PTH

Total bilirubin 3.2
Indirect 3 mg/dL

What explains this?

A. Cholelithiasis
B. Gilbert
C. Hepatitis
D. Liver failure

A. Coronoid fossa
B. Distal shaft (wrong)
C. Medial epicondyle
D. Radial groove
E. Surgical neck

A. Basophils
B. Eosinophils
D. Mast cells
E. Neutrophils

A. Acetaminophen
B. Dextromethorphan
C. Diphenhydramine
D. Ibuprofen
E. Phenylephrine

THANKS a lot!!!

#7 go back in this thread somewhere (probably early on) and you'll find a link I posted about this one. The description of her lesions were of actinic keratosis. One of the histological features of actinic keratosis is solar elastosis (dirrrrrty, mean question.)

Hello everyone, I couldn't find these in the thread and couldn't figure out the explanations by myself, so here I go:

section1, 20/50
Following an operation, 65yo male has a lung region underventilated but well perfused. This will lead to an increase of which:
a)alveolar dead space
b)anatomic dead space
c) physiologic dead space (wrong! but made total sense to me at the time)
d)physiologic shunt
e) Po2

Boy with scarlet fever. which strep toxic causes the rash:
a)capsular polyssacaride
b)erytrogenic toxin (is this?)
c)hemolysin
d)hyaluronidase
e)streptolysin S (have no idea why I put this one)

48yo man with possible hypertension. based on 20 measurements, his average diastolic pressure is 94mmHg, SD is 8mmHg. If only four measurements were made rather than 20, which of the following statements would best describe the width of the 95% CI with regard the mean blood pressure?
a)smaller (is this?)
b)larger
c)the same (wroooong)
d)changed, but the direction cannot be predicted

38yo man with 1 week history of shortness of breath with exertion. his respirations are 12/min. lights palpation of carotid artery shows the upstroke to be abnormally brisk and the downstroke to fall precipitously. ehich of the following s the most likely cause:
a)Ao coarctation
b)Ao regurgitation
c)Ao stenosis (wrong)
d)mitral regurgitation
e)mitral stenosis
f)VSD

section 4, 26/50
39yo man with polycystic kidney disease has 6 mo hisory of intermitent blood in urine. T 37C, pulse 100, resp 24, BP 160/90. physical shows no other abnormality. his serum urea concentration is 100 mg.ml, creatinine 8mg.dl. urinalysis shows blood. arterial gas would be:
pH pCO2 HCO3
a)7.22/28/11
b)7.32/64/32
c)7.38/40/23
d)7.46/19/13
e)7.49/50/37

just if anyone remember: The kid with prolonged QT (section 2, 21/50): the defect its inward or outward acticity of K channel?

Thank you all!! test in 2 days!

Hello everyone, I couldn't find these in the thread and couldn't figure out the explanations by myself, so here I go:

section1, 20/50
Following an operation, 65yo male has a lung region underventilated but well perfused. This will lead to an increase of which:
a)alveolar dead space
b)anatomic dead space
c) physiologic dead space (wrong! but made total sense to me at the time)
d)physiologic shunt
e) Po2
Dead space has to do with areas that are ventilated but not perfused (more or less). A shunt is the opposite-- not ventilated, but perfused. D should be the answer.
48yo man with possible hypertension. based on 20 measurements, his average diastolic pressure is 94mmHg, SD is 8mmHg. If only four measurements were made rather than 20, which of the following statements would best describe the width of the 95% CI with regard the mean blood pressure?
a)smaller (is this?)
b)larger
c)the same (wroooong)
d)changed, but the direction cannot be predicted
If everything else stays the same, except for the decreased number of measurements (smaller sample size), the width of the confidence interval will increase. Two ways to get this answer: look at the formula for a confidence interval or use logic.

The formula: x-bar +/- (t critical)*(standard error of the mean) where standard error of the mean is equal to the sample standard deviation, s, divided by the square root of the sample size, n. In the first case, n=20 so 8/(sq.rt.20) is smaller than 8/(sq.rt. 4). Therefore, when n is reduced from 20 to 4, we can see the mean has a larger value added/subtracted from it, making the interval wider when n=4 instead of 20.

The other way to approach that is from a qualitative perspective. The width of a confidence interval represents our uncertainty concerning the estimate. If we have a larger sample, we should be less uncertain about our estimate (narrower interval). Similarly, if we have a smaller sample, we will be more uncertain about our estimate (again, assuming that the only change is sample size). This should make sense, because we would like to have all possible information (no uncertainty), but we can't usually get all the information (so we're left with uncertainty). Simply put, larger samples (more information) get us closer to the truth and reduce our uncertainty about our estimate of that truth (the mean, in this case).
B should be correct.

18. A 4 year old boy has had a clumsy gait for the past year. Examination shows calf hypertrophy and proximal muscle weakness. Serum creatine kinase is ↑. Muscle biopsy shows loss muscle tissue, regenerating muscle fibers, and fibrosis. A maternal uncle had similar findings and died at age 15. The patient's 20 year old sister is pregnant; ultrasonography identifies a male fetus. Which of the following is the probability that this male fetus has inherited this disorder?
A) 0
B) 1/8
C)1/4
D) 1/2
E)3/4

Boy with scarlet fever. which strep toxic causes the rash:
a)capsular polyssacaride
b)erytrogenic toxin (is this?)
c)hemolysin
d)hyaluronidase
e)streptolysin S (have no idea why I put this one)

38yo man with 1 week history of shortness of breath with exertion. his respirations are 12/min. lights palpation of carotid artery shows the upstroke to be abnormally brisk and the downstroke to fall precipitously. ehich of the following s the most likely cause:
a)Ao coarctation
b)Ao regurgitation
c)Ao stenosis (wrong)
d)mitral regurgitation
e)mitral stenosis
f)VSD

section 4, 26/50
39yo man with polycystic kidney disease has 6 mo hisory of intermitent blood in urine. T 37C, pulse 100, resp 24, BP 160/90. physical shows no other abnormality. his serum urea concentration is 100 mg.ml, creatinine 8mg.dl. urinalysis shows blood. arterial gas would be:
pH pCO2 HCO3
a)7.22/28/11
b)7.32/64/32
c)7.38/40/23
d)7.46/19/13
e)7.49/50/37

just if anyone remember: The kid with prolonged QT (section 2, 21/50): the defect its inward or outward acticity of K channel?

Thank you all!! test in 2 days!

1. Erythrogenic toxin causes the rash; just remember that scarlet is a shade of red, and that erythrogenic literally means "red producing".

2. Aortic regurgitation. Brisk upstroke: with aortic regurg, you're getting blood back flow into the ventricle. Due to the Frank-Starling relationship, this means you're going to have a greater stroke volume, which generates the brisk upstroke. It drops precipitously because of the back flow returning to the ventricle drops arterial diastolic pressure below what it would normally be in someone without aortic regurg.

3. Pretty sure this one will be A. His labs show he is clearly in kidney failure, so there will be defects in reabsorption. This means he isn't absorbing bicarbonate, so HCO3 will be well below normal. Normal is 24, and only options A and D are below normal so we can rule out B, C, and E. Since he is failing to reabsorb bicarb, he will be in metabolic acidosis. The body tries to make up for this by blowing off volatile acid (CO2; note the high RR of 24 breaths per minute), so the pCO2 will be below normal (40 is normal). A and D both have pCO2 below 40 so we still can't choose one. The pH is the final determining factor. Normal blood pH is between 7.35-7.45. The respiratory compensatory mechanism for metabolic acidosis (hyperventilating to blow off CO2) is not going to overcompensate for the primary defect; that is, he is not going to hyperventilate so much that the pH actually ends up slightly above normal. This eliminates option D.

4. Prolonged QT due to potassium channelopathy is a defect in outward flow of K+.

18. A 4 year old boy has had a clumsy gait for the past year. Examination shows calf hypertrophy and proximal muscle weakness. Serum creatine kinase is ↑. Muscle biopsy shows loss muscle tissue, regenerating muscle fibers, and fibrosis. A maternal uncle had similar findings and died at age 15. The patient's 20 year old sister is pregnant; ultrasonography identifies a male fetus. Which of the following is the probability that this male fetus has inherited this disorder?
A) 0
B) 1/8
C)1/4
D) 1/2
E)3/4

1/4

calories q's pleas help is driving me crazy

sec 4
17.To decrease risk for cv disease 24 yo man begins diet. 1.53 95 kg BMI 32, Intends to lose 16 kg by limiting caloric intake to 2000 cal. to maintain the recommended protein intake (56g day); a balanced decreased in carbs and fat is required (caloric radio of fat and carbs is 30:55). which best describes number of calories that should be provided by fat in this its diet each day?

370 430 510 630 740

sec 4
29. 25 woman fatigue 3 wks intermittent fever 7 days teeth cleaned a month ago no abx for prophylaxis had rheumatic fever as child and endocarditis 4 y ago 2/6 murmur abnormal mitral valve
a) coagulase production
b)greening blood agar
c)inhibition by optochin
d)production indole
e)resistance to novobiocin
f)susceptiiblity bacitracin

sec 3
48. 52 yo man is brought to er 30min after the onset of chest pain and shortness of breath. He had played tennis all day and he does not remember how much fluid he had consumed. His temperature is 36.7 oC, pulse 122min, respirations 28min and BP 90/50 mmHg. PE shows dry skin and decreased capillary refill. An ECG and evaluation of cardiac enzymes show no abnormalities. Which of the following findings in the nephron best describes the tubular osmolarity, compared with seri in this patient?
PT //macula densa //medullary collection duct

iso, hypo, hypertonic???

BIG THANKS GUYS!

Last edited:
calories q's pleas help is driving me crazy

sec 4
17.To decrease risk for cv disease 24 yo man begins diet. 1.53 95 kg BMI 32, Intends to lose 16 kg by limiting caloric intake to 2000 cal. to maintain the recommended protein intake (56g day); a balanced decreased in carbs and fat is required (caloric radio of fat and carbs is 30:55). which best describes number of calories that should be provided by fat in this its diet each day?

370 430 510 630 740

sec 4
29. 25 woman fatigue 3 wks intermittent fever 7 days teeth cleaned a month ago no abx for prophylaxis had rheumatic fever as child and endocarditis 4 y ago 2/6 murmur abnormal mitral valve
a) coagulase production
b)greening blood agar
c)inhibition by optochin
d)production indole
e)resistance to novobiocin
f)susceptiiblity bacitracin

sec 3
48. 52 yo man is brought to er 30min after the onset of chest pain and shortness of breath. He had played tennis all day and he does not remember how much fluid he had consumed. His temperature is 36.7 oC, pulse 122min, respirations 28min and BP 90/50 mmHg. PE shows dry skin and decreased capillary refill. An ECG and evaluation of cardiac enzymes show no abnormalities. Which of the following findings in the nephron best describes the tubular osmolarity, compared with seri in this patient?
PT //macula densa //medullary collection duct

iso, hypo, hypertonic???

BIG THANKS GUYS!
Green colonies on blood agar--->all alpha hemolytics. Add recent teeth cleaning to the picture and you get strep viridans. We have done the math related to the calorie question a couple of times here before. Answer is 630. :)

Green colonies on blood agar--->all alpha hemolytics. Add recent teeth cleaning to the picture and you get strep viridans. We have done the math related to the calorie question a couple of times here before. Answer is 630. :)

thanks!!

yes I've read them but still don't get it tho :(

thanks!!

yes I've read them but still don't get it tho :(
okay! So they told us the person must get atleast 56g of protein in that 2000cal diet. So we multiply 56g into 4 (1gprotein=4cal) and substract it from 2000. We get roughly 1776 calories.
Now they tell us that from that 1776cal, we should maintain the ratio of 30:55 between fat and carb.
But that ratio is BETWEEN fat and carb and not between fat and the TOTAL NO. of calories. To get that ration we will add 30 and 55 which will no give us 85. And 30:85 is our required ratio between fat and the left over calories(1776). Now we just have to multiply that ratio to the actual number of leftover calories(1776) to get the answer.

This was my best shot at explaining @pedsneurosx I am mostly a disaster at explaining stuff so I keep it short and simple as much as possible. :/

Also,
There is a good chance that now you are even more confused than before.

okay! So they told us the person must get atleast 56g of protein in that 2000cal diet. So we multiply 56g into 4 (1gprotein=4cal) and substract it from 2000. We get roughly 1776 calories.
Now they tell us that from that 1776cal, we should maintain the ratio of 30:55 between fat and carb.
But that ratio is BETWEEN fat and carb and not between fat and the TOTAL NO. of calories. To get that ration we will add 30 and 55 which will no give us 85. And 30:85 is our required ratio between fat and the left over calories(1776). Now we just have to multiply that ratio to the actual number of leftover calories(1776) to get the answer.
I don't like this question. But now I get it how it is actually done. I made a guess last time i looked at it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

I don't like this question. But now I get it how it is actually done. I made a guess last time i looked at it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

I didn't like it either but I was happy I somehow got to the answer. And as a friendly nudge, I'd know how to do various types of those, sadly. :( ;)

@chupunkua I feel you on delaying, I did the same thing. Except now my time is running out again. Biochem isn't my strong suit and I swear I keep reviewing it and it's gone in a few days.

I didn't like it either but I was happy I somehow got to the answer. And as a friendly nudge, I'd know how to do various types of those, sadly.

@chupunkua I feel you on delaying, I did the same thing. Except now my time is running out again. Biochem isn't my strong suit and I swear I keep reviewing it and it's gone in a few days.
I am against getting at the final moment extensions but my scores are consistently down because of this one subject. I was really bad at micro too but I've gotten hold of it much better now. Good to get insights and uplifting comments from people here. Good luck everyone!

A 35-year-old woman comes to the physician because of pain of her left leg for 2 days. Physical exam shows deep vein thrombosis in left lower extremity. Laboratory studies show a platelet count of 200,000/mm3, prothrombin time of 12 seconds (INR=1), and partial thromboplastin time of 37 seconds. Treatment with heparin is started. Five days later, physical examination shows no active bleeding. Her platelet count now is 120,000/mm3. Which of the following best explains the decreased platelets in this patient?
a. antithrombin III deficiency
b. Cold agglutinin disease
c. disseminated intravascular coagulation
d. drug-related antibodies
e. kasabach-merritt syndrome
f. migratory thrombophlebitis
g. splenomegaly
h. vitamin k deficiency

A 24-year-old man is brought to the physician because of a 3-day history of progressive numbness of both feet that now has ascending to the level of his thighs. In the last 24 hours, he has developed numbness and tingling of his hands. Physical examination shows an ataxic gait. Deep tendon reflexes diminished in upper extremities and absent at knees/ankles. Sensation to vibration and joint position absent in fingertips and feet bilaterally. Mild weakness of distal upper extremities and moderate weakness of lower extremities. Process involving which of the following structures is the most likely explanation for these sensory findings?
a. Dorsal spinocerebellar tract
b. Fasciculus cuneatus
c. Fasciculus gracilis
d. myelinated primary afferents
e. unmyelianted primary afferents
f. ventral spinocerebellar tract

A 2-month-old boy is brought to the physician for a well-child examination. The mother has no concerns about his growth or breast -feeding habits and says he has begun to smile. He is at the 25th percentile for length and 30th percentile for weight. Cardiac examination shows a blowing holosystolic murmur heard best over the lower left sternal border. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the cardiac findings in this patient?

a. coarctation of the aorta
b. functional murmur
c. patent ductus arteriosus
d. patent foramen ovale
e. ventricular septal defect

A 58-year-old man comes to the physician to obtain a prescription for benzodiazepine because he is experiencing an intolerable situation at work (etcetc.) Two weeks later, the patient's wife calls and says, "My husband just got fired...he has a long history of alcoholism?" Which of the following is the most appropriate initial action by the physician?
a. Contact the patient to discuss the situation
b. Contact the risk management department of the medical practice's insurance company regarding a potential claim
c. Discharge patient from medical practice for inappropriate use of medication
d. Inform patient's wife that information cannot be accepted because of HIPAA
e. Refer patient to a substance abuse program

A 4-year-old boy is brought to the physician by his parents because of fatigue and irritability over the past 2 months. The family visited relatives in rural Louisiana 5 months ago where the patient ran around barefoot. The child is active and appears normal. The conjunctivae are pale. Lab studies include normal leukocyte count with 15% eosinophils. Stool preparation discloses parasite egg shown. Which of the following is the most likely cause of fatigue and irritability in this patient?
a. Activation of IgE
b. CNS infestation
c. Circulating immune complexes
d. Microcytic anemia
e. Myocarditis

Thanks in advance!

The q about heparin and warfarin for 2 days and no inc of PT time , i don't remember it well but i remember two choices one was " heparin-warfarin effect " and the other " long thrombin half life " ....... Anyone remember this q and what was the answer
can somebody post this question and options ?

A 35-year-old woman comes to the physician because of pain of her left leg for 2 days. Physical exam shows deep vein thrombosis in left lower extremity. Laboratory studies show a platelet count of 200,000/mm3, prothrombin time of 12 seconds (INR=1), and partial thromboplastin time of 37 seconds. Treatment with heparin is started. Five days later, physical examination shows no active bleeding. Her platelet count now is 120,000/mm3. Which of the following best explains the decreased platelets in this patient?
g. splenomegaly
h. vitamin k deficiency

d) drug related antibodies -> they refer to heparin induced trombocytopenia. treatment is stop heparin and use another drug to anticoagulate

A 24-year-old man is brought to the physician because of a 3-day history of progressive numbness of both feet that now has ascending to the level of his thighs. In the last 24 hours, he has developed numbness and tingling of his hands. Physical examination shows an ataxic gait. Deep tendon reflexes diminished in upper extremities and absent at knees/ankles. Sensation to vibration and joint position absent in fingertips and feet bilaterally. Mild weakness of distal upper extremities and moderate weakness of lower extremities. Process involving which of the following structures is the most likely explanation for these sensory findings?
b. Fasciculus cuneatus
c. Fasciculus gracilis

Doesn't look like Guillain-Barre? Young healthy guy, ascending paralysis...

A 2-month-old boy is brought to the physician for a well-child examination. The mother has no concerns about his growth or breast -feeding habits and says he has begun to smile. He is at the 25th percentile for length and 30th percentile for weight. Cardiac examination shows a blowing holosystolic murmur heard best over the lower left sternal border. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the cardiac findings in this patient?

b. functional murmur
d. patent foramen ovale

I got this right but I dont remember.. functional murmur? It really looks like Still's murmur, healthy kid, systolic, LLEB. He could also have a small VSD and no symptoms. For sure not a, c or d.

A 58-year-old man comes to the physician to obtain a prescription for benzodiazepine because he is experiencing an intolerable situation at work (etcetc.) Two weeks later, the patient's wife calls and says, "My husband just got fired...he has a long history of alcoholism?" Which of the following is the most appropriate initial action by the physician?
b. Contact the risk management department of the medical practice's insurance company regarding a potential claim

E. refer to substance abuse program, I believe

A 4-year-old boy is brought to the physician by his parents because of fatigue and irritability over the past 2 months. The family visited relatives in rural Louisiana 5 months ago where the patient ran around barefoot. The child is active and appears normal. The conjunctivae are pale. Lab studies include normal leukocyte count with 15% eosinophils. Stool preparation discloses parasite egg shown. Which of the following is the most likely cause of fatigue and irritability in this patient?
a. Activation of IgE
b. CNS infestation
d. Microcytic anemia
e. Myocarditis

d) microcytic anemia. he probably got necator americanus or ancylostoma duodenale, both suck blood from intestinal walls :)

Thanks in advance!

@steramystilen , I answered below each question

section 3, 29/50:
Healthy 5yo boy comes for motion sickness. Parents want to give dyphenhydramine before a trip. Whats the mecanism of action of the drug - for motion sickness :
a) agonist alpha1 adrenoreceptors
b) agonist beta1 adrenoreceptors
c)agonist N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors
d)antagonist histamine 2 receptors (I know its H1, but thats the closest I figure out - wrong)
e) antagonist M3 receptors (is this one?)
f) antaagonist serotonin receptors

Thanks a lot!

section 3, 29/50:
Healthy 5yo boy comes for motion sickness. Parents want to give dyphenhydramine before a trip. Whats the mecanism of action of the drug - for motion sickness :
a) agonist alpha1 adrenoreceptors
b) agonist beta1 adrenoreceptors
c)agonist N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors
d)antagonist histamine 2 receptors (I know its H1, but thats the closest I figure out - wrong)
e) antagonist M3 receptors (is this one?)
f) antaagonist serotonin receptors

Thanks a lot!

yes its E, antagonist M3 receptors

g. splenomegaly
h. vitamin k deficiency

b. Fasciculus cuneatus
c. Fasciculus gracilis

b. functional murmur
d. patent foramen ovale

a. Activation of IgE
b. CNS infestation
d. Microcytic anemia
e. Myocarditis

Thanks in advance!

a. Dorsal spinocerebellar tract (WRONG)
b. Fasciculus cuneatus
c. Fasciculus gracilis

a. Dorsal spinocerebellar tract (WRONG)
b. Fasciculus cuneatus
c. Fasciculus gracilis
GB syndrome--> Immune response against MYELIN due to molecular mimckery between the bug and myelin. (against gangliosides of myelin mostly) Answer is D

So, if we weren't told she had a maternal uncle with the disease the answer would be 1/8, right?

It would be:
Probability she inherited the disease from her dad 1/2
probability she inherited the disease from her mother 1/2
probability her baby is diseased 1/2

1. A 70 YO man has had early morning awakening, decrease energy, difficulty concentrating, anhedonia, psychomotor ******ation, and depressed mood for the past 3 months. He had a myocardial infarction 2 years ago and had nonsustained ventricular tachycardia. Which of the following is the most appropriate therapy for this patient’s current symptoms ?
a. Amitryptiline
b. Benztropine
c. Bromocriptine
d. Clozapine
e. Haloperidol
f. Imipramine
g. Lithium carbonate
h. Paroxetine
i. Phenelzine (Wrong)
j. Risperidone

A previously 65 YO woman with 6 hour Hx fever and shaking chills. 4 hours ago, she took 325 mg aspirine tablets. Temp 39.4 C, pulse 96/m, respiration 18/m and blood pressure 102/60 mmHg. Physical examination shows marked tenderness bilaterally in the costovertebral areas. Lab studies show :

Hb 13 g/dl
Ht 39%
Leukocyte count 32.000/mm3
Urine ph 6
Nitrites 4+
Leukocyte esterase 4+
A photograph of wright stained peripheral blood smear, which the most likely cause this patient leukocytosis ?

a. Allergic reaction to aspirine
b. CML
c. Inappropriate sec ADH
d. Leukemoid reaction
e. Myelodysplasia

1. A 70 YO man has had early morning awakening, decrease energy, difficulty concentrating, anhedonia, psychomotor ******ation, and depressed mood for the past 3 months. He had a myocardial infarction 2 years ago and had nonsustained ventricular tachycardia. Which of the following is the most appropriate therapy for this patient’s current symptoms ?
a. Amitryptiline
b. Benztropine
c. Bromocriptine
d. Clozapine
e. Haloperidol
f. Imipramine
g. Lithium carbonate
h. Paroxetine
i. Phenelzine (Wrong)
j. Risperidone

Major depression 1st line of treatment → SSRIs(Paroxetine)

A previously 65 YO woman with 6 hour Hx fever and shaking chills. 4 hours ago, she took 325 mg aspirine tablets. Temp 39.4 C, pulse 96/m, respiration 18/m and blood pressure 102/60 mmHg. Physical examination shows marked tenderness bilaterally in the costovertebral areas. Lab studies show :

Hb 13 g/dl
Ht 39%
Leukocyte count 32.000/mm3
Urine ph 6
Nitrites 4+
Leukocyte esterase 4+
A photograph of wright stained peripheral blood smear, which the most likely cause this patient leukocytosis ?

a. Allergic reaction to aspirine
b. CML
c. Inappropriate sec ADH
d. Leukemoid reaction
e. Myelodysplasia

Leukemoid reaction

Hello guys,I am looking for a dedicated study partner for the preparation of USMLE.I also have put my study schedules and profile in Studypal.co.Please let me know if you are interested.