NBEO Scores Delayed

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can't you technically take parts II and III without having passed part I? I know someone who, before the new boards, had to take his part I like...3 or 4 times. But he didn't say anything about it postponing the progression of everything else?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, you don't have to pass part 1 to take parts 2 and 3

what stinks is if we fail part 1 and have to retake it again in August, by us not finding out until a month later, that shaved a whole month off of our study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you all have worked hard and will know your results soon. Would appreciate some input. Which study guides did you all find most beneficial and relevant towards the nbeo part I? Why would you pick one over the other? These review books and course such as the Berkly study guide, and KMK course is that enough to prepare or do you need to go through old notes? Thanks, I'd appreciate the input.

I know you all have worked hard and will know your results soon. Would appreciate some input. Which study guides did you all find most beneficial and relevant towards the nbeo part I? Why would you pick one over the other? These review books and course such as the Berkly study guide, and KMK course is that enough to prepare or do you need to go through old notes? Thanks, I'd appreciate the input.

I like KMK... EXCEPT optics. Look around for basic optics supplement.

Many of the questions that appear don't seem to be from any resource, just random tidbits that you pick up over the 3 years of schooling. Try to know the reasoning behind the concepts or the general trends For example,

pantoscopic tilt. If you have a minus lens, it will create minus cylinder at 180 degrees. How much (estimate) if it was a -4.00 lens with 12degrees tilt? How much (estimate) if it was -12.00 lens with 5 degrees tilt?

With questions like those, you don't even need to memorize the formulas, just have enough experience with the numbers to know the 1) axis 2) a lot of cylinder or a little. Then you can pick out the right answer from multiple choice.

-OP

DrS, chill out. I didn't point any fingers. The way the conversation was going, it was clear that it wasn't a true attempt to through PR into the pool of suspects. As one of few PR students who frequent this board, I understand your need to defend the school, but you have got to learn to take a joke. I notice that the majority of your PR-related posts are overprotective in this same manner and you tend to call the poster ignorant. If we're ignorant, then inform us politely, but you need to understand it's not meant to be a personal offense.

First of all, learn how to speak english! "Attempt to through PR"....Give me a break. I went to the school in PR and passed all parts the first time and have 2 successful practices. There are students at that school that work hard and become very successful. No other school can compare to the knowledge you obtain in clinic. It is my true feeling that the majority of graduating students (at most other schools) are just competant at refraction and NOT at treating ocular disease.
I really don't think that throwing out names of other schools that have nothing to do with this ordeal is a joke!

Thank you Sexy Hyperope, it's nice to hear the voice of another PR student!!! Congrats on passing boards first time around and your 2 private practices. Many people will see when they graduate no one will give a damn where you went to school as long as you know what you are doing. I am on my way to being another success story! lol =)

First of all, learn how to speak english! "Attempt to through PR"....Give me a break. I went to the school in PR and passed all parts the first time and have 2 successful practices. There are students at that school that work hard and become very successful. No other school can compare to the knowledge you obtain in clinic. It is my true feeling that the majority of graduating students (at most other schools) are just competant at refraction and NOT at treating ocular disease.
I really don't think that throwing out names of other schools that have nothing to do with this ordeal is a joke!

I'm a bit offended by this, and I think my colleagues at those "most other schools" will likely be too. I'm currently at my rotation at the Portland VA Medical Center, which is a prestigious site for its ocular disease residency training program. The staff doctors here, including the ophthalmologists, have expressed that they are really impressed with the students and residents and that they're doing a great job here. This is pretty high praise for students who are in their first 4th-year rotation in a clinic with such a high proportion of ocular disease, and it shows we were well-prepared clinically in our first 3 years at each of our respective schools. We didn't waste the first 3 years just learning refraction and optical stuff, while that is obviously important too.

The students and residents here represent NECO, Berkeley, SUNY, SCCO, and Pacific, and though I may be slightly biased because I am one of the students, I honestly am really impressed by my colleagues here too and their patient skills (another important, often-overlooked skill) and knowledge about the diagnosis and treatment of ocular disease. And this is just one opinion about one rotation and my first time interacting clinically with students from other schools. Granted, we don't know EVERYTHING yet and we are still learning a great load here at the VA, but that's the point of an externship. If we knew everything already, we wouldn't need to go on rotations. But you have to actually practice what you learn in the books. In class and in the clinic at school, we established a solid foundation, and now we're building up on that.

I respect my colleagues at all the colleges of optometry because I know how difficult it is to get into optometry school, seeing how few of them there are in North America. Isn't it true that at ALL schools, there are "people that work hard and become very successful"? There is no particular school that is "the best" because all are strictly regulated and accredited. Notice how there are no rankings for optometry schools. We are all getting a rigorous and intense training and we're all going to be well-trained optometrists by the time we graduate. I hope you will recognize this and respect our professional colleagues too, instead of putting them down.

On a less serious note, I'm not used to all this rain and hail in the summer here in the Northwest...!

And since this is a thread about boards, congrats to all who passed!!! =D Let's enjoy our summer now!

Last edited:
I agree with you SCVCSTAR; every school has great optometrists and not so great ones. I do believe hard work and determination will pay off in any career, discipline of study, or hobby. At the end of the day though, and time and time again it will happen, many people on SDN will claim their school is "superior" in some respect.

Anyone trying to get rid of a Berkeley guide?