NBEO Scores Delayed

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pippistrellodaq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is from the NBEO website. Has anybody heard of anything like this in the past? Pretty crazy times.

NATIONAL BOARD OF EXAMINERS IN OPTOMETRY PLACES HOLD ON PART I SCORES
The Board of Directors of the National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) has placed a hold on the release of Part I scores. This release was scheduled for May 5, 2010. The National Board is postponing the release of scores pending an investigation into evidence of possible cheating by a significant number of exam candidates. Scores will not be released until the investigation has been completed.
This examination was administered to optometry candidates at 18 different sites across the US and Canada on March 16‐17, 2010. The NBEO’s investigation into that exam administration is focusing on three primary concerns. The Board is investigating the possibility that some candidates may have had improper access to confidential exam items before the examination. In addition, the Board is investigating whether candidates taking the examination engaged in an organized attempt to memorize exam content in order to reproduce it for use by other students taking future administrations. The Board also is investigating the possible involvement in such activities of at least one faculty member.
Such unethical conduct, if it occurred, would constitute cheating and would be a violation of NBEO examination policies and rules binding on examination candidates. Those NBEO policies and rules were established to protect the security, integrity, and credibility of the examination.
NBEO examination candidates are not permitted to engage in any reproduction or distribution of the examination in whole or in part. In addition, prior to taking the examination, candidates agree that they will not accept, receive, or obtain any test items in whole or in part from any source prior to administration of the examination, or engage in any other unauthorized or improper actions in connection with the examination materials and/or content. Failure to abide by these agreements may result in the cancellation of scores, the barring of candidates from future exams, and/or the imposition of other
sanctions as determined by the Board of Directors. Finally, it is stated on the NBEO website and on each examination that NBEO may withhold scores at its sole discretion. NBEO’s test content also is subject to copyright protection under applicable law.
Successful completion of NBEO examinations is a requirement for licensure in the practice of optometry in all 50 states. In order to meet its responsibility to provide credible examination results to jurisdictional regulatory boards, the National Board must have total confidence in its test results, which are dependent upon the highest maintenance of security involving examination content. This continuing investigation is in furtherance of that purpose and is the ultimate reason for the delayed release of scores. If the investigation reveals a breach of security, such breach will be documented and repaired, and appropriate disciplinary or enforcement action will be considered against those found to be involved in improper conduct.

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine was telling me about this earlier today, whoever thought it was a great idea to cheat on boards is just brilliant. Unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
To JMU, you are a 2nd year optometry student; therefore, you have not yet taken the boards. Had you taken the boards, you would know it is next to impossible to cheat even if you wanted to. So, to make the comment you did regarding who came up with the brilliant idea to cheat was unnecessary and lacks any knowledge of what is happening with this incident.

I ask that you all respect my school and my classmates as we deal with this unfortunate matter and leave any remaining comments to yourself.

No, I haven't taken boards, but I've taken other standardized tests and realize people can't exactly pass notes back and forth with the answers. :rolleyes: It doesn't matter if I'm talking about NBEO or an anatomy test or a spelling test, cheating is stupid. That's all I'm saying, but ESPECIALLY when your academic and maybe your future career are on the line. If the link posted above is accurate in saying that there were students trying to memorize test items, that's unfortunate. Sure they probably meant well, but obviously NBEO isn't taking it that way. It's a pretty huge deal. Hope it works out.

As a 3rd year student of the school that is being investigated by this incident, I would like to say that this is a private matter amongst our school only. Unfortunately, this incident is affecting other schools being that the NBEO is witholding everyone from receiving their scores. However, why is it important for you guys to know which school is involved? It isn't. Rumors and hearsay do not need to be spread.The one thing I can assure those that are interested in what is going on is that ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THE STUDENTS IN MY CLASS CHEATED ON THE BOARDS EXAM..nor, did we have any intention of cheating.

I ask that you all respect my school and my classmates as we deal with this unfortunate matter and leave any remaining comments to yourself.

My condolences to my colleagues at your school as you go through these difficult times. It is unfortunate that the posting of all boards scores are being delayed, but I respect you and your classmates and hope that everything works out well for everyone. Hang in there!

As a 3rd year student of the school that is being investigated by this incident, I would like to say that this is a private matter amongst our school only.

I strongly disagree with this notion. Any impropriety on a national board exam affects not only your school, but every other school and indeed the entire profession.

Unfortunately, this incident is affecting other schools being that the NBEO is witholding everyone from receiving their scores. However, why is it important for you guys to know which school is involved? It isn't. Rumors and hearsay do not need to be spread.The one thing I can assure those that are interested in what is going on is that ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THE STUDENTS IN MY CLASS CHEATED ON THE BOARDS EXAM..nor, did we have any intention of cheating.

I am only partially aware of the rumors and conjecture myself and from what I hear, it sounds to me like there was no cheating involved but rather an unfortunate and misguided request from a faculty member to students taking the exam. Hopefully that's the case and there's no issue with the integrity of the results of this particular examination. If the rumor that I hear is correct, that faculty member should have certainly known better than to make that request of the students.

I think most people would be ok with that but you all need to understand that an issue like this isn't confined to your little microcosm there. It's much broader than that.

How can you say this is a private matter and to basically say bug off? It's important to know which school was involved because we studied our asses off for this board exam and we want our scores so that we can move on with our lives. It's easy for you to say "why do you care what school it is" because your class is the one involved with this "scandal". I can guarantee you if another school put you in this situation you would be pissed off and want to know who was responsible for your delayed scores for which you payed over 600 dollars to take and spent countless hours studying for. I really do sympathize with you and your classmates for going through a rough period of time, but we're not trying to point fingers here, we (or maybe it's just me) just want to know exactly why our board scores weren't delivered on May 5th as opposed to some obscure letter that NBEO sends out.

As a 3rd year student of the school that is being investigated by this incident, I would like to say that this is a private matter amongst our school only. Unfortunately, this incident is affecting other schools being that the NBEO is witholding everyone from receiving their scores. However, why is it important for you guys to know which school is involved? It isn't. Rumors and hearsay do not need to be spread.The one thing I can assure those that are interested in what is going on is that ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THE STUDENTS IN MY CLASS CHEATED ON THE BOARDS EXAM..nor, did we have any intention of cheating.

To JMU, you are a 2nd year optometry student; therefore, you have not yet taken the boards. Had you taken the boards, you would know it is next to impossible to cheat even if you wanted to. So, to make the comment you did regarding who came up with the brilliant idea to cheat was unnecessary and lacks any knowledge of what is happening with this incident.

If you want to quash the rumors, please explain exactly what happened and how it's not dishonest.

It does affect all students in that it's a standardized test with a relatively small group taking it, so 90-120 of the takers having an unfair advantage over the rest does matter.

A faculty member being involved makes it an even bigger deal. Was the adminstration aware of what was happening?

Could become a black eye for the whole profession.

In my opinion, if the faculty member told his students to do this, then the faculty member should be held responsible for this whole fiasco.

In organized crime, it's not the low level workers you want to punish, but the leader in charge. Whoever put the students up to this should be the one to blame - not the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reading some of these posts, and it seems to me that the students involved (and their supporters) are forgetting one thing - remember when the NBEO required you to affirm that you wouldn't copy down or reproduce or redistribute the exam content in any form? I know they say it far more legal-wise, but seriously....if you had an instructor who was ill-advised enough to ask you to breach your moral and ethical duty to the NBEO, then somebody should have had the good sense to go to your college administration and cry foul. I can't imagine a bunch of adult professional students thinking they aren't responsible for doing anything wrong - that's like somebody saying "It wasn't my fault I stole all that money from the bank because my husband or wife told me to do it." Get real. Man up and accept responsibility and take your licks and stop whining like a bunch of babies that you didn't do anything wrong. You DID, period. And the rest of the students waiting for their scores are suffering because you're a bunch of meatball heads.

i'm reading some of these posts, and it seems to me that the students involved (and their supporters) are forgetting one thing - remember when the nbeo required you to affirm that you wouldn't copy down or reproduce or redistribute the exam content in any form? I know they say it far more legal-wise, but seriously....if you had an instructor who was ill-advised enough to ask you to breach your moral and ethical duty to the nbeo, then somebody should have had the good sense to go to your college administration and cry foul. I can't imagine a bunch of adult professional students thinking they aren't responsible for doing anything wrong - that's like somebody saying "it wasn't my fault i stole all that money from the bank because my husband or wife told me to do it." get real. Man up and accept responsibility and take your licks and stop whining like a bunch of babies that you didn't do anything wrong. You did, period. And the rest of the students waiting for their scores are suffering because you're a bunch of meatball heads.

agreed!

OptometryStuden,

Don't forget the three items of concern the NBEO is investigating. 1- A significant number of candidates may have had improper access to confidential exam items before the examination. 2- Candidates taking the examination engaged in an organized attempt to memorize exam content in order to reproduce it for use by other students taking future administrations. 3- Involvement in such activities of at least one faculty member.

Tell me how it is that this is a private matter regarding your school only. If any of the three concerns are true then the entire test may be compromised. If the test then cannot be validated how will that not affect the rest of us? Will the numbers be skewed? Will some students who would have passed now fail due to a artificially high average? How will the NBEO compensate for that? Will they make us all take it again? Again, tell me how it doesn't involve every third year optometry student in the country?

This is truly a tragic and embarrassing situation for optometry. I really hope that the allegations are false because it disturbs me to think that the integrity and values of my future colleagues may be jeopardized.

Responses from the SDN community???

>In my opinion, if the faculty member told his students to do this, then the faculty member should be held responsible for this whole fiasco.

That's fine. But what is an appropriate discipline for such an action? I can see the school "firing" this person etc., but I don't think it's clear the NBEO has any authority over them (i.e. I don't think what the teacher did was "illegal").

>if you had an instructor who was ill-advised enough to ask you to breach your moral and ethical duty to the NBEO, then somebody should have had the good sense to go to your college administration and cry foul.

But maybe that's exactly what happened. Perhaps a student went and told the admin.

>Man up and accept responsibility and take your licks and stop whining like a bunch of babies that you didn't do anything wrong.

I see your point, but I don't think it's as clear as you say. Teachers are in a position of authority, and authority cannot be overlooked. Study after study has shown humans respond to authority. It's Psych 101.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
"The Milgram experiment on obedience to authority figures was a series of social psychology experiments conducted by Yale University psychologist Stanley Milgram, which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts that conflicted with their personal conscience."

Hopefully everything gets sorted out ok. Are you attending SCCO by the way?

To everyone,

Reading these posts clearly show you guys know little about this situation. Yes, a faculty member requested our class to do this. Did the rest of the administration know about this? Not to my knowledge. However, I would like to point out less than a third of my class wrote down questions and submitted them to our class president. So, for everyone to sit and think that this was something that was organized by my entire class and that everyone participated in this incident, is absolutely not true.

On another note, we did not have an unfair advantage in taking this exam!!!!! Nobody in my class had a list of questions from last years exam and I do know that what was asked of my class from this faculty member was not asked to the class before us, that I know of. So for those of you that are sitting there thinking the night before the boards we were all going over old questions from last years test is completely not true. The unfortunate thing about all of this is that if my class did happen to score a high average on this exam (we, just like every other school do not know our scores) then everyone is going to think it's because we cheated and not because we all studied hard and prepared well for this exam, which is the truth. None of us had a upper hand in taking this exam so that idea should be forgotten.

To Astigmatic, if you're not trying to point fingers here, then why continue to ask what school it is that is involved. STOP ASKING! I'm not going to release that information!

In response to this post:
>Man up and accept responsibility and take your licks and stop whining like a bunch of babies that you didn't do anything wrong.

I see your point, but I don't think it's as clear as you say. Teachers are in a position of authority, and authority cannot be overlooked. Study after study has shown humans respond to authority. It's Psych 101.

----Thank You! Put yourselves in our position. When we have a faculty member asking us to do this, we never thought it would be something that could get us in trouble. Are we not accepting responsibility? Of course we are. We all look back and think yeah, that was pretty dumb...but, at the time it didn't seem like we were doing anything wrong b/c we were being asked by a professor and our superior at our school. Keep in mind these emails were sent through our school email. Had we known this was something that would be considered cheating and had still been compliant with passing along this information, do you honestly think we would have done it through our school server? Absolutely not.

Just an FYI, the 15 people that were investigated (that's right, only 15 out of the entire class) were told by our school president last week that the boards were not going to penalize them for any wrong doing b/c they didn't find any information that would constitute as cheating...even after going through all their emails and gaining access to their computer files. So, on May 5th when all optometry schools received that message from NBEO, we were all as shocked as you were.

I don't need YOUR permission to know what school it is, I already knew it was SCCO to begin with before I even posted anything. I only posted in response to your idiotic plee to keep it a private matter. Sorry to be harsh, but you guys are adults and your or whoever is involved in this all made poor decisions. I'm sick of your high and mighty attitude that you began with in response to JMU's post telling him/her they are only a 2nd year student so they wouldn't understand what's going on? It's a pretty black and white issue , your class was CLEARLY in violation of NBEO regulations as stupid as I think they are. Yeah, maybe you didn't cheat and you keep saying you had no advantage. We get the point, but simple rules that like most middle schoolers would understand were broken. We just want to know about where our scores are. If I am way off base, why don't you clear things up b/c I'm still confused about what is going on and your logic to keep saying we know nothing so we should say nothing further proves what a ***** you are.

My point as to why I ask everyone to keep their comments to themselves because of rumors and hearsay getting started. SCCO is not the school that was investigated or involved in this incident. So, Astigmatic, way to lead everyone to believe something that is not true. You obviously don't "KNOW" as much as you claim you do.

Wow, now there are two schools involved?! :eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding. I seriously hope everything works out for everyone. I cannot begin to imagine that the NBEO would make everyone retake the exam, that just seems ridiculous. I'm sure this whole thing will blow over in a few weeks.

I'm just sort of curious who in the school would have reported this to the NBEO.

I know what school it is and I don't see the big deal in releasing that info. I don't have a dog in this fight persay, but a lot of my close friends who are indeed feeling the repercussions of this do share the sentiment of the majority of people here.

well the guy from berkeley sends his condolences to your school... and it happened at a school in california... and there are only 3 in california but only 2 have ever taken boards... so if berkeley guy sends his condolences to your school, its probably SCCO... unless berkeley guy is not one of the 15.

----Thank You! Put yourselves in our position. When we have a faculty member asking us to do this, we never thought it would be something that could get us in trouble. Are we not accepting responsibility? Of course we are. We all look back and think yeah, that was pretty dumb...but, at the time it didn't seem like we were doing anything wrong b/c we were being asked by a professor and our superior at our school. Keep in mind these emails were sent through our school email. Had we known this was something that would be considered cheating and had still been compliant with passing along this information, do you honestly think we would have done it through our school server? Absolutely not.

Did your school not register and take the same board exam as the rest of us? I know when I registered to take the exam, and before every session began, I had to listen to and read rules regarding reproducing exam material. Even if you claim you were only following your instructor's directions and had no idea it was considered cheating before the exam, you certainly should have realized it afterwards. And honestly, I do believe that if your classmates were willing to risk their careers in such a ridiculous manner, they would be foolish enough to use your school server to do so.

You cannot realistically expect the rest of us to accept your "we had no idea it was cheating" excuse. We all took the same test, we all understood the same rules.

I see your logic, but as a student at SCCO I can tell you that our school was not involved.

Last edited:
OptometryStuden, I did read what you wrote earlier. If what you are trying to say is that you received a request from an instructor prior to the exam, and that after the exam NONE of your classmates responded to that request with exam information, and it is simply that initial request from your instructor that is being investigated, then I agree your class has done nothing wrong. If, however, after completing the exam and reading multiple warnings to NOT reproduce any exam material, your classmates did respond to the request by supplying someone with secure test information, then I do not understand how anyone can consider this activity innocent. After the exam everyone should have been completely aware that your instructors request constituted cheating. It seems clear that you did not participate in any of this and that you are in the same frustrating situation as the rest of us. I am not trying to attack you, I think we are all just trying to understand what happened.

well i was trying to logic it out there about the SCCO involvement, lol. i can tell you also (from first hand) its not SCO either. perhaps we can start eliminating schools until we find out which school it was...NOT that it would change anything or anyone's opinion when we knew. i have a lot of acquaintances at a lot of different schools and i just wanted to know if any of them were affected.

and OptometryStuden, sorry that it happened to you guys. i'm sorry that it happened to anyone. i can see your point about obeying your instructor but i can also see everyone else's point about obeying the NBEO rules. sorry you guys were put in that position. hope they don't ban you from practicing.

And yes, I do have a time machine.

lol, funny comment.

Last edited:
In my opinion, i understand why you said you and your class did not cheat. However, your action, if you think about it, resulted in multiple headaches. Once you wrote down the question(s) and sent it to your president, how do we know for sure that was the only person you sent to??? you could have sent it to your friends, your relatives who were also optometry students. And your president, after she got the list, who knows, she could have printed it out for someone. The point is, the content of the test is leaked for next year so the NBEO probably would have to recreate the entire exam. They are not happy about this!
This is very unfair for the next class because when they take it next year, they will find out that it is harder since NBEO has to start from the beginning and by trying to make the questions different, they will get harder.
Also, the trust between NBEO and the students had just been compromised. They will create more ways to keep ppl fr cheating meaning more steps, more signatures for us before each national boards.....
Your action affected alot of ppl, including class of 2012 so stop saying you didnt do anything wrong. You made a HUGE mess.

well the guy from berkeley sends his condolences to your school... and it happened at a school in california... and there are only 3 in california but only 2 have ever taken boards... so if berkeley guy sends his condolences to your school, its probably SCCO... unless berkeley guy is not one of the 15.

Hahaha I'm not a guy. In fact most of my class is female. But there's no way for you to have known that so no offense taken.

As far as I know, UCBSO and SCCO are both clear. I have friends at SCCO and know for sure they are not being investigated. I don't know why that forum post wanted to know about California law...perhaps that poster is a friend that happens to live in California?

I did hear a rumor (please note, it's just a RUMOR) that the KMK may have been somewhat involved too, but not necessarily tied to the school that was investigated. I do not know any other information, since it's just a rumor that may be very unfounded.

Did you not read what I posted earlier? We did not think at the time this was cheating. So, no we were not willing to risk our careers for this despite what you and everyone else may think. Yes, we as a class, even those that did not respond to the email or have any involvement with this incident are very sorry that this happened and do admit that it was wrong in thinking that it wasn't cheating. Everyone was too focused and too occupied with studying for the boards exam that we didn't sit there and analyze some email we had received a day or so prior to the exam to think about what the consequences of what was requested of us..
These are just excuses that will not fly in the real world.

As medical professionals, the public puts a lot of trust into the fact that we're going to conduct ourselves ethically. The opportunity to be dishonest will always be there (and usually, easy to do). Our patients rely on us doing the right thing and stiff penalties are in place for those who don't.

If left to me, the faculty member would be fired, the class president expelled, & any student who submitted questions barred from taking any NBEO exam until after graduation.

I did hear a rumor (please note, it's just a RUMOR) that the KMK may have been somewhat involved too, but not necessarily tied to the school that was investigated. I do not know any other information, since it's just a rumor that may be very unfounded.

If it is a rumor, and it "may be very unfounded" perhaps it would be best to keep it to yourself? It is one thing to play "Guess the School" but it is quite another to start calling out a legitimate business and a group of optometrists that a lot of students hold in pretty high regard. Berkeley does not participate in the KMK courses, so I am assuming you have never met them. I took their course last year, my friends took it this year, and I can assure you they in no way shape or form ask for test questions or anything like that.

Last edited:
These are just excuses that will not fly in the real world.

As medical professionals, the public puts a lot of trust into the fact that we're going to conduct ourselves ethically. The opportunity to be dishonest will always be there (and usually, easy to do). Our patients rely on us doing the right thing and stiff penalties are in place for those who don't.

If left to me, the faculty member would be fired, the class president expelled, & any student who submitted questions barred from taking any NBEO exam until after graduation.

Completely agree with this. But what would you do about the scores?

[/B]

Completely agree with this. But what would you do about the scores?

The problem with the whole scenario is whether on not the professor helped previous classes in the same way. If so, this would invalidate scores from the past years from that school.

If it is a rumor, and it "may be very unfounded" perhaps it would be best to keep it to yourself? It is one thing to play "Guess the School" but it is quite another to start calling out a legitimate business and a group of optometrists that a lot of students hold in pretty high regard. Berkeley does not participate in the KMK courses, so I am assuming you have never met them. I took their course last year, my friends took it this year, and I can assure you they in no way shape or form ask for test questions or anything like that.

KMK has made a statement on their website that they became aware of the incident when the rest of us did. They are not being investigated and stated that they have no reason to believe that the school or any student involved is associated with KMK.

I don't think there's any question the faculty member is in hot water.

As for expelling the class president "only", I don't necessarily agree with you there. They may have played a role in collecting the responses, but that person did it simply because they are the default "lackey" in the class. Had someone else been voted class president, THAT person would therefore be "responsible" (and hence subject to possible expelling). The "problem behavior" is thus due to the responsibilities of that person's position, and not necessarily their actual "person". Also, being class president is not a shameful act. Again, to be expelled, it should be because of the individual, not because of the position they hold (or the responsibilities associated with that position, which in this case is class lackey).

I'm not sure what a good solution is to any of this.

Collating and distributing test questions is another layer beyond just remembering a couple questions.

The class president wasn't randomly chosen & "with great power comes great responsibility." He/she should be held to a higher standard.

The class president should have, on getting the email, contacted the prof, the administration, and told the class to ignore it. Reading the NBEO disclaimer should have reinforced that idea, and made it clear that it was wrong. Could still have informed someone and not collected the questions as asked. Suspension at least.

Well, I have to admit I don't know all the details, but likely neither do you.

I wouldn't rush to judgement on this. Maybe suspension, but maybe not. Not sure why those without all the details should be so certain on what type of discipline is appropriate.

But from what I've heard so far, I don't see why the class president should be singled out. If below is true, then the class president wasn't even guilty of "distributing" (your word) test questions (but his/her classmates were).

"Prior to the exam, one of their instructor at the school ask the whole class to each remember a different questions on the exam and forward it to him to use to help teach future classes prepare for the exam. After they took the exam, each of them remember 1 question from the exam and they emailed it to the class president. The NBEO (National Board of Examiners in Optometry) somehow found out about the test questions email."

He/she should be held to a higher standard.

Your case would be thrown out of court. There's only one type of law: the type that applies to everyone.

Last edited:
There is another issue I've noticed from past attendance of lectures pertaining to the NBEO:

From attending NBEO talks from the school I graduated from, as attending NBEO talks at other optometry schools (when visiting friends), I've noticed that faculty members who are linked to the NBEO seem to give out NBEO questions without hesitation.

I know most people here will say that's nonsense, but I've witnessed it firsthand. They allowed us to copy down NBEO questions, and anyone who attended was given the question.

So essentially, you would have to punish nearly every optometry school - which is not a conceivable task.

I'm still guessing that they will punish the top two who organized the NBEO copying. It may not be fair to only focus on those two, but I still think that's how it's going to play out.

>I'm still guessing that they will punish the top two who organized the NBEO copying. It may not be fair to only focus on those two, but I still think that's how it's going to play out.

I don't think the NBEO has the authority to "punish" a faculty member. The school where the person is employed may take action, but in what capacity can the NBEO act?

I'm sure they could, but I think that would be an excessive step. I'm assuming the teacher involved wasn't a proctor of the exam.

I'm assuming the teacher involved wasn't a proctor of the exam.

Our proctors in Memphis the last 2 years have been the same ones... and they most definitely aren't from the optometry world. So I agree with you on that account.

As for whether or not it was cheating then I would also echo those who mention those disclaimers NBEO puts all over parts 1 and 2. It's cheating as per those written instructions.

And for whomever said that it was just the faculty member at fault-- it's like what your mother always said............ you wouldn't jump off a bridge if the faculty member asked you to.

And how do we even know that OptometryStuden even knows what's going on. I call shenanigans. :laugh: