NBDE Part 1: How long should you study for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Looked around for the answer to this question, but didn't find much...

For those of you who took NBDE Part 1 and passed, how long did you study for?

Specifically, how many hours a day? How many days per week? How many months? I won't be taking it for a while but wanted to get a heads up for my preparation. Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied for about 7 days, 12 hours each day. I felt pretty comfortable with the material

Studied about 4 months, the hours a day varies...I gave myself goals per day such as: reading these chapters in First Aid or getting through a particular number of sections in dental decks.

If you have good material and a focused mindset, studying isn't going to be bad at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Use decks and old tests.

I went over the decks during the school year as I went over each subject. After that, I spent about 2 weeks doing old tests and took it. You got this! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I think you shoudl to study 6 months for part1, and take KAPLAN program. It helps!!!!!!!

Word on the street is two to three weeks of hardcore studying since the exam is now pass/fail.

It all depends how good you retain information from your courses. Getting through decks and looking at couple recent released test questions is good enough. Don't waste money taking any Kaplan courses. My opinion First aid was not that great. Look over your anatomy notes and dental anatomy. The rest Decks are good and old questions helped to show you were you stand. Some students said they had some "repeat" questions from released material but that was not the case for me. Test was pretty easy in my opinion to pass. Oh and I studied for about a week and a half about 8-10 hours.

Thanks for all your responses. It has been very helpful :)

I studied hard core for three weeks 6-7 hours/day and did practice tests for a week. Honestly, I thought it was overkill. I agree first aid was just ok it wasn't as great as everyone made it seem. Do old exams and decks for sure! Know dental anatomy like the back of your hand!

Yeh now that its pass fail its not that big a deal. 3 weeks at absolute most

I studied 8 hours a day for 6 days and passed. I wouldn't study for much more than a week or two. Take a couple of the old tests and if you make above a 60% you should be fine. I think you have to answer half of the actual test questions correctly to pass.

I studied for about 7 days, 12 hours each day. I felt pretty comfortable with the material
Where did you study from? I'd like to start studying with first aid, released exams and dental decks.

Where did you study from? I'd like to start studying with first aid, released exams and dental decks.
That post is 4 years old and they haven't posted anything on SDN in 2 years.

Hey guys! Looked around for the answer to this question, but didn't find much...

For those of you who took NBDE Part 1 and passed, how long did you study for?

Specifically, how many hours a day? How many days per week? How many months? I won't be taking it for a while but wanted to get a heads up for my preparation. Thanks SDN!
I studied for 3.5 weeks, for the first half of that time I studied one day for 6-8hrs then took 2 days off. Then at the second half I studied 6-8hrs every other day. So in essence, I pretty much just studied for about 10 days. I barely studied micro/patho but I got lucky I didnt get too many that I didnt know.

Seems like I torch my self . Stuck with books for 4 months, can't pay attention kind of make myself to start to prepare.
And now see how you prepare for a week ..oh ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just revived a dead thread, which had previously been revived.

Let it die.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users